The sleeping bag minefield

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
Totally get you on the reviews, but I've always taken reviews off websites with a pinch of salt. I used to work for a very well known paint manufacturer their marketing department used to go and review their own products.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Totally get you on the reviews, but I've always taken reviews off websites with a pinch of salt. I used to work for a very well known paint manufacturer their marketing department used to go and review their own products.

Don't go by the reviews on the sites you buy them from. Like you say anyone could have bought one. Look for in-depth reviews, on this site & others etc...

Tonyuk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In my opinion Down bags are the only way to go. I cannot understand why people skimp on their sleep system then don't go out. I have never had a problem with a damp bag. 12 days canoeing in torrential rain bag got damp still performed gone. A wet bag is miserable whatever material it's made of.

I have several Rab down bags and a big Agnes. Plus a couple of others floating around I use for the hounds. My bags get a lot of use. 200 plus nights a year on average.

So in your experience, down doesn't immediately collapse when it gets damp or wet? That's interesting.

We are failing as a 'bushcrafting' forum. Nobody has suggested using fur yet.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Another consideration for me is the width of a bag, being about 50" chest I just can't fit in many of them and use a snugpak softie elite 3 which has the built in expanda panel which means it is just about big enough for me.

I have looked at getting a down bag to reduce weight and packed bulk but just can't find anything remotely big enough !

That model of snugpak is fine for me performance wise for three season use, have felt I could do with the next one up for really cold winter temps in the uk, it's just not particularly small or light to pack.

Cheers, Paul

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
So in your experience, down doesn't immediately collapse when it gets damp or wet? That's interesting.

We are failing as a 'bushcrafting' forum. Nobody has suggested using fur yet.

I have woken up in two inches of water in January. My own stupid fault. Rushed putting up my tentipi in the dark. Little bit of the floor was extended outside. The down pour ran off the side of the tipi and straight in I awoke when I finally felt wet inside the sleeping bag. After rearranging the tent. Moping up the water and sorting my bag I prepared for a very long weekend in the woods. It wasn't the greatest night but I wasn't too cold. Hanging the bag up under the parachute next morning to air still just above freezing and raining it pretty much dried out for that night. 5 years ago. Bag still going well.

Same bag used in Finland 18 months ago. Canoeing for 8'nights. Used a hooped bivvy. It got very damp with condensation every night. Still kept me warm at 0 - -2C. Had to hang up in the morning by the fire to dry out each day. Slept in same bag in a big lean to during that last big storm trees falling next to it rain occasionally blowing in for 3 nights. Toasty warm.

Will be be using the bag again Friday to Sunday.

Safe to say I got my money's worth.

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
I have woken up in two inches of water in January. My own stupid fault. Rushed putting up my tentipi in the dark. Little bit of the floor was extended outside. The down pour ran off the side of the tipi and straight in I awoke when I finally felt wet inside the sleeping bag. After rearranging the tent. Moping up the water and sorting my bag I prepared for a very long weekend in the woods. It wasn't the greatest night but I wasn't too cold. Hanging the bag up under the parachute next morning to air still just above freezing and raining it pretty much dried out for that night. 5 years ago. Bag still going well.

Same bag used in Finland 18 months ago. Canoeing for 8'nights. Used a hooped bivvy. It got very damp with condensation every night. Still kept me warm at 0 - -2C. Had to hang up in the morning by the fire to dry out each day. Slept in same bag in a big lean to during that last big storm trees falling next to it rain occasionally blowing in for 3 nights. Toasty warm.

Will be be using the bag again Friday to Sunday.

Safe to say I got my money's worth.

sounds like a bit of a workhorse, what bag is this?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
sounds like a bit of a workhorse, what bag is this?

I have no connection to Rab in anyway but I have found they make very good sleeping bags. I use Rab Atlas 800. I also have Rab Quantum for the hottest part of the year or when working overseas. Some baggage allowances are meagre.

I baby my bags when not in use and try to avoid compressing them whenever possible.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Mountain hardware lamina bags are very good for synthetic

for down Rab are fantastic, alpkit seem to be very well thought of too

Just to confuse the issue even further. Quilts are another option for ya, they work well for me on the ground but are esp good for hammocking
Ukhammocks make some great top quilts at very reasonable prices

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I'd say: start with testing a EN rated sleeping bag, a cheaper one. Check when you get cold, and you'll know how the rating works for your body (For me personally, it's pretty much spot on). Then you can use the EN ratings on sleeping bags to choose the right bag for you. Stay away from any non EN ratings since those are just pure guessing or even pure lies depending on the company, unless you can test it in advance and see how you like it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Mountain hardware lamina bags are very good for synthetic

for down Rab are fantastic, alpkit seem to be very well thought of too

Just to confuse the issue even further. Quilts are another option for ya, they work well for me on the ground but are esp good for hammocking
Ukhammocks make some great top quilts at very reasonable prices

Quilts could be the answer to my shoulder/chest width dilemma, hmm :)

Cheers, Paul

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v really taken to my jacks r better seirra snivler top quilt for everything, it was very expensive as TQ's go but i love how versatile it is (ukhammocks are way better value)
An easy -5*c comfort rating for me and 680g is a pretty good pack weight too

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have used down and synthetic and going against the grain much prefer synthetic. Take less looking after in the damp/when camping or just anytime outside. Saying that would love to try a buffalo bag but the possible bulk of them not sure of.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Now can anyone else see how this is such a difficult thing to buy?

I agree, in the end I suspect that unless you have the cash to buy a range of bags and try them out then it is simply a case of taking your pick and making the best of what you get. I hear and see a lot of marketing people claiming their bags are warmer than another but especially with down if you are using the same down and your bag doesn't have more of it then it can't be a whole lot warmer than your competitor no matter what you claim. Equally I've looked at down bags and synthetic ones when compressed and while I know quoted comfort temps are a total work of fiction there isn't a huge volume difference between down and synthetic claiming approx the same performance and the weight difference isn't huge either if you try to sort out the marketing from the actual figures. Yes there are differences but on balance it is nearly impossible to pick between down and synthetic- swings and roundabouts I guess.

Given all of that I think you have to pick on the basis of price and features and make the best of what you get. I wanted a bit more room and a few other features and went with a Snugpak Tactical 3. When I compare it to a Rab Ascent 700 then Snugpak claim a extreme of -12 and a comfort of -7 and although their web site says it packs to 23X20cm I think this is an error and should say 43X20 with a weight of 1700g. Rab say their Ascent 700 has a "Rab sleep limit" of -12 and an EN comfort of -2 and extreme of -27 and it packs to 24X42cm with a weight of 1290g, though it is a smaller bag and twice the price but Snugpak are known for overstating their comfort temperatures by around 5 degrees which is where we play swings and roundabouts again. How do you pick? I've no idea, you just have to splash your cash and make the best of what you get.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Mountain hardwares hotbed range seem to have squarer wider foot boxes.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/hotb...or=300#start=6

I hope so. I recently tried out a Lamina in Cotswolds, and although a great sounding bag, the narrowness of the foot totally put me off. It really was tight.

Since I was possibly looking for a synthetic bag (wondering if I might be slightly allergic to down), and that was my first choice in terms of brands, it was a bit of pain.

As it was, fate has taken over. My local Blacks is closing down, and has had a 50% off sale for the past couple of days - so when I spotted a Mountain Equipment Classic 500 bag at half price (£115!), I snapped it up. A very nice bag indeed, especially at that price. I'd had my eye on the 750 (which I found out today that they had), but its probably more than I actually need, and that extra £50 it would have cost me ended up being spent on a very nice ME Infinity top anyway.

Given all of that I think you have to pick on the basis of price and features and make the best of what you get. I wanted a bit more room and a few other features and went with a Snugpak Tactical 3. When I compare it to a Rab Ascent 700 then Snugpak claim a extreme of -12 and a comfort of -7 and although their web site says it packs to 23X20cm I think this is an error and should say 43X20 with a weight of 1700g. Rab say their Ascent 700 has a "Rab sleep limit" of -12 and an EN comfort of -2 and extreme of -27 and it packs to 24X42cm with a weight of 1290g, though it is a smaller bag and twice the price but Snugpak are known for overstating their comfort temperatures by around 5 degrees which is where we play swings and roundabouts again. How do you pick? I've no idea, you just have to splash your cash and make the best of what you get.

Its always a problem - nobody sleeps in the same way, and things like mats, humidity, etc all can play a part. I've has a Snugpak for years, but its never been as warm as advertised (Osprey 12 - so pretty much a Tactical 3), and compared with down, its certainly doesn't pack up as small. To be fair, it packs up a lot smaller than my daughters Vango 350, but that's like a breeze block in terms of compressibility. I've gone for down (and its has a DWR shell, so not too bad for keeping dry), but the best thing to do is to go to a decent shop, lie in one to get an idea of sizing, and ask some questions, bearing in mind how you will be sleeping. And then get the best you can for your money.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE