BOMB PROOF EQUIPMENT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I have one item I still have from over thirty years ago and it's still fine, to still use it, a humble green meraklon neck warmer, I think I might have got from Survival Aids back in the day as I did used to shop quite a bit from there. But of Survival Aids one thing I wish I still had to be still annoyed at it's loss, was a green double Ventile Arctic Ranger coat , my mum threw out because she thought it looked tatty.

Reactions: Erbswurst

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not so much stuff that I've used for iver 30 gears but more kit thats over 30 years old and I still use.
Svea 123R stove.
I have an Estwing hammer with an unusual head shape which dates it to from at least the 1960s and its my everyday work hammer.
I use a 1931 Stanley 5 1/2 Jackplane and have recently bought an ancient wooden jointer plane with a Norris blade, it looks rough but works a treat. I guess its over a hundred years old.
I have a 1989 GSXR 750 motorbike so thats 31 years old.

I have a Marttinii (not sure Ive put enough Ts or Is in there) knife my brother found in Norway and gave me when I was seven so I've had that for 41 years. It's a knife, not much to go wrong with it.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it isn't something to drink, put as much Ts and Is in as possible.

Isn't that the orthographic rule, @TLM?

:biggrin:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The most correct one would be Marttiini. :D But I think that if people know you are speaking about knives anything starting with M might do.

Finnish is easy in one way, if you see a word written you know how to pronounce it. The few very weak exceptions don't really matter. Every letter is pronounced and has a constant value. Stress is always on the first syllable. If one knows classical Latin use that pronounciation and you are very close.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Way too much to list really, but a few that spring to mind are:
  • Feinwerkbau 124 Sport air rifle and Tesco 615W scope.
  • Lincoln sporter shotgun.
  • Many older farm tools.
  • Victorinox Astronaut knife
  • Taylor's Eye Witness pocket knife - bought for me when I was 12, I'm now 58!
  • Etc,etc.
Dave

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
OT

@TLM

I was told that regarding European languages you have the youngest and so most modern orthography. Just logic.

All the others write more or less historicly and the (idiotic) decorations from the Baroque are usually still in.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
OT

I think you spoke Finnish and mainly wrote official textes in Swedish or Russian. Than they sat down and thought about it scientifically, round about when Finland became independant. And in this time modern ideas had been prioritised.

May be wrong but I think I remember it right.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Written language stabilized at the latter half of 1800. By independence Finnish was already the main language used in all areas of life.

It's not bombproof but it does have a lot of redundancy in some respects which means that minor things like word order is not that important.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thinking about this a bit more, back in 1979 I started an engineering apprenticeship. During the first year I got to make a fairly complete tool set including a toolbox, mini machine vice, various hand tools, clamps, punches etc. I still have and use these regularly. They are not only well over 30 years old, but hand made by me. I get a kick out of them every time I use them.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's interesting!
And if I think about, I own a few tools of very high quality too. I didn't make them myself and so it was something like a miracle to me why they look as new since decades. That are professional special bicycle tools made by Campagnolo. Pretty expensive but really worth every penny.

Like the whole old Campagnolo stuff I own. My father and me bought bicycles on Tour de France level in the late eighties and early nineties and all that still looks as new.

It's pretty interesting to me that you as a BEGINNER had been able to make such long lasting tools. It seems to me as if nowadays they sell usually tools that are so bad in quality that you need to buy more and more over the years. The most long lasting stuff I own are tools which my father bought before 1990.

It seems to be a difference between made in Germany and made in China.
Probably a good reason to surch for western European production...

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
High quality tools are really a subject I'll never get tired of. I do have some and a lot more chinese rubbish which were bought for one time use and have then lasted for longer and which I swear at almost every time I use them.

Of course there is the fact that a recognized good tool is seldom abused like the cheapos and that certainly helps them to last longer.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my collection that isn't the case, because I inherited the most stuff and never thought about the prices.

My father didn't display them in a cedar wooden toolbox but threw them around in the basement without care. We had a good tool shop next by. And my father had a pretty well payed job. Before he looked for his tools he went and bought new stuff because he wasn't able to find the old.
He never knew if the surched tool is in the basement or in the gardenhouse, in the car or in the boat. And everything was located in a longer distance.

What I digged out after years was the most long lasting stuff I have and it's the same case in my brothers collection.

The only usable stuff is his old stuff. The new doesnt work properly, if it hadn't been a really thoughtful investment.

I think I will start to buy tools on the flea markets. Probably the best chance to get good stuff for reasonable prices.

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Can't believe no one's mentioned the 58 mug yet.
Those buggers are built like the proverbial.
Admittedly, mine isn't 30 years old (it was bought new about 10-15 years ago), but I reckon it will outlive the planet.
Dammit, I reckon I could build a whole city with it.
And it'll still be good to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE