BOMB PROOF EQUIPMENT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
My oldest bits of kit still seeing regular use are paraffin lamps. Two Aladdin's in the house, one from circa 1930 the other 1969. Gorgeous lamps that make me weep every time I look at the price of spares. A Tilley-X246 aka 'Guardsman' from 1979 providing both heat and light in the shed and a Feuerhand storm lantern (1949-1969) that came out to the winter moot.

Aah wait I forgot about my paraffin lantern, I have an army 1940 dated Bialladin 300x that’s only needed washers and mantles. It’s itherwise totally original and just works every single time. Not bad for something nearly 80 years old

Reactions: Bishop

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Do you think a modern LED lamp will work in 80 years?
:)
That's a good question... In theory most LED's are good for several years of continuous operation provided they are powered up in their 'comfort zone'. However the practice of some manufacturers pushing extra current through the diodes to increase brightness along with insufficient cooling will shorten the lifespan considerably.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
They were good, Soviet scientists were......
I think you do not mean an LED though. Went commercial after the Soviet Union collapsed/morfed into EU....

Or not? I saw the first ones around 15/20 years ago?

( I do not look for new high tech, I prefer old low tech.
But I do have an OLED TV, curved and 3D.....

Do not buy a 3D TV, that is my recommendation...

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
They were good, Soviet scientists were......
I think you do not mean an LED though. Went commercial after the Soviet Union collapsed/morfed into EU....

Or not? I saw the first ones around 15/20 years ago?

( I do not look for new high tech, I prefer old low tech.
But I do have an OLED TV.....

I do mean LED. One of these of eBay to replace the original bulb.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: MrEd

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
LK35 pack, petrol stove, alcohol stove, Blacks Highland sleeping bag, Dutch Army M90 bag, Polish lavvu, Czech blanket sleeping bags Dutch army tent, several Black Good Companion tents..............me......?

Reactions: Erbswurst

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Trangia bouht when 16, am 56 now, still perfectly good. Dachstein mitts, thirty plus years, wool balaclava ditto.
Karrimor alpinist rucksack, bought as a student, still using it.
Simond chacal ice hammer and icefall axe, still good after nearly forty years.
Mountain equipments Spitzbergen bag, forty years old.
Buy good kit, look after it, it will pay for itself many times over.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Trangia and a couple of Elwell Kent pattern axes which I love!
Had to replace the hafts and make masks but I still love 'em.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Silva compass I've had since 1980, pair of gaiters I bought about the same time from an independent shop that is still trading :) I have two Feurhand lanterns, one of which belonged to my Dad, but I didn't find it until I was clearing out his garage after he died, so I don't know quite how old it is but I don't ever remember seeing it and it clearly isn't new. I have his army issue pen knife that predates me (1964) but don't use it as it is so heavy. The other things are still in regular use though.

Madmischief

Aug 17, 2019
Oxfordshire
US Marine Ka-bar knife, bought used at a military surplus store in ‘91. Used it a lot as a camp knife when I was younger. It’s been in a drawer for the last 15 years because the leather handle became loose and I found new shiny things ...

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Can you easily repair the handle or is the blade bomb proof but the leather handle a nonsense idea?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE