boil in the bag omlette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Tried one of these out today by mixing up a complete eggy cheese mushroom and onion mix and pouring into a zip lock bag and cooking in my vargo. Think I got the idea from this forum somewhere a while back.

And all I can say is....

YUK!

It was edible, I am sure the birds will like it if the pine martins n badgers don't get to it first.

Anyone had much luck with these?

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
This does not surprise me my only experience is that I would rather eat the packet it comes in than the Omlette MREs just say no! If you end up with an omlette you spend all day looking for someone who is not paying attention to switch it with.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This does not surprise me my only experience is that I would rather eat the packet it comes in than the Omlette MREs just say no! If you end up with an omlette you spend all day looking for someone who is not paying attention to switch it with.

LOL. Back during Desert Storm/Desert Shield 6 MREs in a case of 12 would be the omelet with ham. I gotta admit that they were better than the old ones in the C-Rats but that ain't saying much. I'm pretty sure they were the main reason they started putting Tobasco in MREs. All that said though, they were one of the 2 favorites; them and the ham steak MRE because pork was hard to come by in Saudi until we got our own chow hall up and running after 4 months.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
SimonM makes a great breakfast wrapped up in tin foil, bacon, beans, spuds, eggs, mushrooms and cheese layered up and chucked in the embers

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Why not mix the ingredients in a bag and fry? :)

Exactly, throw in a few wild greens while you are at it too

DSCN6300.jpg

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Why not mix the ingredients in a bag and fry? :)

Well I am not usually packing a frying pan and the point was to try a boil in the bag. An experiment I will not be replicating ;-\

I have a folding frying pan arriving in the post tomorrow for all things fried and yummy, nom nom nom.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Do you put a pin ***** in it or do it on a low heat? Last time I tried this the egg exploded, typically when I was having a close examination and got egg on me face -_-

Take the top right off. A pin ***** will seal up and it will still explode.
I still had a minor eruption with that egg because the yolk had sealed on top. My fault for not watching/poking it occasionally.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Do you put a pin ***** in it or do it on a low heat? Last time I tried this the egg exploded, typically when I was having a close examination and got egg on me face -_-

Hmmmmmm ok I may give this a whirl tonight. I even have some goose eggs. Cheers for the tip :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE