blow pipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2004
i just bought a blowpipe on evilbay.looks like a nice bit of kit and i got it for 18 quid.im thinking squirrels and rats...obviuosly i wont be eating the rats. i,ve seen the pygmies and african tribesmen hunting with them on tv and recon with a bit of practice it should be a bit of fun.
anyone got any experiences? this has got to be the ultimate bushcraft weapon after the bow? surly? : -l)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Not sure what the law regarding hunting with blow guns in this country
its probably as illegal as bow hunting

best to find out before you start, anyone know how the law stands on this?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I rather suspect that there will be a law somewhere that says you can't hunt with a blowgun. If you can't shoot squirrels with 500grain arrows and a 40lb+ bow, what chance is there that you will be allowed to do so with BBQ skewers driven by a lung-full of hot air? :lol:

However, that asside. I did a search on Google for Blowgun Hunting and came up with quite a range of pages. I was surprised, I thought that without poison a blow gun dart wouldn't be all that effective.
http://wmuma.com/tracker/skills/hunting/blowgun.html
http://www.perigee.net/~benjamin/blowgun.htm

Somewhere it does say that you have to be able to hit a target half the size of the vital area of your quarry. That makes sense to me. Same with any hunting, vital areas are always smaller than one thinks.

It does look like it could be a fun thing to practice with, just for the sake of practice.

Mar 2, 2004
true, even with airrifles we have to be able to hit a 40 mm kill zone at 55yds. ta for the links softie lol :wink: just kidding.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
From what I can gather blowpipes/blowguns are illegal in the UK ...

http://www.wales-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1988/Uksi_19882019_en_2.htm

I know it's the Welsh copy (couldn't find another copy) but as far as I know it's the same all across the UK ...

SCHEDULE
Article 2

1. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons) shall apply to the following descriptions of weapons, other than weapons of those descriptions which are antiques for the purposes of this Schedule:

(k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;

Mar 2, 2004
but i might fall out of the tree.
just got an email from the seller who says he never tried it but should be no reason it dosent work.wonder if i could attach some fishing line to the darts? hmm perhaps coil some up in the tube first,put a barb on the dart? dont encourage me : -l)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Adi007 said:

I know it's the Welsh copy (couldn't find another copy) but as far as I know it's the same all across the UK ...

SCHEDULE
Article 2

1. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons) shall apply to the following descriptions of weapons, other than weapons of those descriptions which are antiques for the purposes of this Schedule:

(k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;

I'm not sure they're illegal as such, an offensive wepaon does not mean an illegal weapon. It just means you're liable to prosicution if you do certain things with it, like carry it around in public.

Owning a blow gun is not illegal, if it were, a plumber would be in deep doo-doo, they have loads of pipe that could be used as a blow gun, I know there needs to be intent shown as well but the principal is there.

Cheers

Mark

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Actually, it is a Statutory Instrument that forbids manufacture, sale, import or traffic in the listed items unless they are antiques more than 100 years old. Not sure about personal possession in the home though.

Walking in the street with a pipe is one thing, but a pipe (even plumbing pipe) with darts or pellets is another.

Take a trip over to www.britishblades.com where they have a very good legal section where you'll get the answer (but maybe not the one you want).

Buckshot said:
Adi007 said:

SCHEDULE
Article 2

I'm not sure they're illegal as such, an offensive wepaon does not mean an illegal weapon. It just means you're liable to prosicution if you do certain things with it, like carry it around in public.

Owning a blow gun is not illegal, if it were, a plumber would be in deep doo-doo, they have loads of pipe that could be used as a blow gun, I know there needs to be intent shown as well but the principal is there.

Cheers

Mark

Mar 2, 2004
all good valid points,cheers
i,ll just hang it on my wall as a curiosity piece i think.after all only naughty boys would actually shoot things with it :wink:
i have a couple of barnett diablo catapults as well but couldnt hit a barn door with those.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a Black Widow and would love to shoot it more. Not all that accurate yet, but certainly up to hunting barns :lol:

I have a LOT of ball bearings that make superb ammo, these were real bearing balls, not those things you buy in gun shops. I have been real lazy and haven't set up a proper target, something with a sheet to catch the balls.

Shooting a sling shot is a lot like shooting a bow. I am very tempted by one of the 40lb shots that Madison Parker makes:
http://204.49.102.78/

No idea what I would use it for :roll: , just that it sounds interesting :cool:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I hope you all wear safty equipment like goggles. I saw a nasty accident as a child where the elastic snapped into the boys face.... it left him with a nasty scar but atleast he kept his vision.

Ed

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
no safety equipment! the done thing nowadays is to behave recklessly, then injure yourself and sue the manufacturers for not saying that your not meant to use it like that..........now who can i blame for burning a hole in my fleece and cutting myself on that sharp knife :roll:

Mar 2, 2004
lol, no one but yourself m8. i agree about the rest.
i went to get my diablos to do a picture of them ...discovered them gone!!!
my wee lad had "borrowed"them.
i used to shoot mint imperials, those sweets, as they were a lot cheaper than ball bearings.
there is some amazing stuff on blow pipe hunting if you search for it on google chaps.im almost inspired to try making my own.
i made them in school with a biro tube and a pin stuck through the tag end of a shoe lace. deadly and dangerous..especially when the maths teacher got hit in the ankle :nono:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
i made them in school with a biro tube and a pin stuck through the tag end of a shoe lace. deadly and dangerous..especially when the maths teacher got hit in the ankle

ha ha, so did I. They were amazingly efficient, wer'nt they, but then one of my mates got suspended for having one and the craze kind of died out. Im off to look for some old laces :twisted:

stuarty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE