Bloody ghost!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The theory is that when you die your spirit moves on to the "next world", be it heaven, valhalla or whatever, but that occasionally some people don't make it all the way for some reason. Thus they are trapped in between worlds. Don't know if it applies to whales. Dinosaurs though, hmmm. Nessie anyone? :lmao:

By this time we'd be tripping over ghosts tho' given the amount of people that have died. If I did believe in ghosts (which I don't) I think the "photographic environment" theory is more plausible. Somehow events are recorded into an environment and glimpses are replayed. Infra-sound and acoustics however offers what I think to be the most plausible reason for many unexplained events and experiences.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
are you sure? the first horseless carrage on uk roads was july 1895 by a mr ellis who founded the original daimler company and the rac also we live in a little village were even today horse and carts are quite common yes as pleasure but i know horse power back in the 1900's was still the main transport i our area and guessing most others for everyday use

1895 was definitely in the 1890s. As I said they were expensive and probably not very widespread. However I don't know how widespread coachmen still were by that time as long distance travel had definitely been by rail for quite some time. I suspect that city taxis were still largely by horse though. As you say horses (or mules) were still the main power for transportation and agriculture until Henry Ford made autos cheaply enough for common people in the early 1900s. Even then horses and mules continued largely in agriculture until the 1940s; my uncle logged with a teal of horses until the 1960s.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
By this time we'd be tripping over ghosts tho' given the amount of people that have died.....

Unless you subscribe to the belief that it's the same spirits being reincarnated over and over. Or even with the traditional western belief in each of them being separate spririts but all of them moving on to the next level, they still wouldn't generally be here to trip over would they?

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
This isn't a ghost story as such although there's a good chance it's been recounted as one...:)

In one of my first jobs when I was in my late teens/early twenties I worked with a woman who was more than a bit dour and often just downright irritating/miserable at times. Her husband had died many years back but she spoke about him every single day at length and sadly could be quite maudlin at times. She always dressed in black (complete with black lace mourning veil)...I really felt for her struggling to come to terms with her loss but a lot of folk found it hard to work with her.

The local paper had run story about some of the gravestones in the cemetery her husband was buried in being pushed over or vandalised. The cemetery was regularly used as a short cut into one of the local housing estates and often as a bit of a drinking den but the poor soul was beside herself that someone might damage her husband's grave.

One morning, she came into work with a massive smile...not something we had ever really seen before as her usual demenour was generally much more downbeat. I couldn't contain my curiosity for long so asked her how she was doing and that she seemed to be in an extremely good humour.

She explained that for several days she had been going up to her husband's graveside late at night and sitting crouched behind the gravestone in the hope of catching someone in the act. The previous night, she had taken her old tilley lantern as usual complete with a cardboard box to sit over it to mask the light. She took up her position behind her late hubby's gravestone and settled in for a few dark and lonely hours.

Late on, she heard someone wandering up the path. She saw that whoever was approaching was staggering and seemed drunk as they stopped at the grave close to her hubby's. As the guy stopped for a fly pee, my colleague whipped the cardboard box off the lantern and stood up and shouted at him as he was in mid-flow.

According to my colleague, he obviously had a guilty conscience and had some evil intent as he screamed and ran off like the devil himself were after him.

I wondered how to try to explain to her that most folks walking through a graveyard late at night would run a mile if they saw an elderly woman, clad head to toe in black complete with widow's veil and old lantern rising out of a grave...I decided that sometimes the best option is simply to shut up and say nothing.

So, somewhere there's a guy who has for years been telling of his lucky escape from a graveyard phantom late one night...the reality of events being rather different...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Unless you subscribe to the belief that it's the same spirits being reincarnated over and over. Or even with the traditional western belief in each of them being separate spririts but all of them moving on to the next level, they still wouldn't generally be here to trip over would they?

Reincarnation doesn't work given you start with 2 people. Do they then get watered down?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I’m a Paranormal investigator (Waits for the laughing to stop) in all the years I’ve done investigations 95% of so call paranormal evidence can be logically explained due to tiredness mass paranoia, power of suggestion and as for Orbs there no more than dust or water vapour reflecting camera flash.

But saying that there are certain things I still can’t explain which have no logical answer which is what fascinates me so I continue doing it. Also the BIG bonus is you get full access to some great buildings that the public are not allowed in and given freedom to explore.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
LOL. You're mixing two separate beliefs. Those that hold to reincarnation don't believe we started with just two people.

So, going by the theory of evolution, at which point did this start happening? When we were single-cell organisms, fish, monkey-type creatures?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So, going by the theory of evolution, at which point did this start happening? When we were single-cell organisms, fish, monkey-type creatures?

I never agreed that we did. But to be fair, that's adding still a third belief system.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Going to be a ghost on Saturday night. Shall be putting the frighteners on some punters at a Tudor Manor house. Might have to see what happens if I quietly move up behind a fellow performer and tap them on the shoulder.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Going to be a ghost on Saturday night. Shall be putting the frighteners on some punters at a Tudor Manor house. Might have to see what happens if I quietly move up behind a fellow performer and tap them on the shoulder.

Make it extra scary by going as "edited out" ghost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You have a very primitive view of Transmigration of souls

But thats assuming you have to be a human!

(No Orientalist would subscribe to such a notion; Many indeed believe that a human incarnation is actualy `very` hard to achieve.)

Cammile Flammarion (a great scientific promotor, but he lived in an age in which you could be a mystic too.) suggested that we might very well be renicarnated on other planets.

Then, of course, there is this thing called the Many Worlds Hypothesis. (Cooked up by those arch materialists, the Physists, no less.)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You have a very primitive view of Transmigration of souls

But thats assuming you have to be a human!

(No Orientalist would subscribe to such a notion; Many indeed believe that a human incarnation is actualy `very` hard to achieve.)

Cammile Flammarion (a great scientific promotor, but he lived in an age in which you could be a mystic too.) suggested that we might very well be renicarnated on other planets.

Then, of course, there is this thing called the Many Worlds Hypothesis. (Cooked up by those arch materialists, the Physists, no less.)

Good grief your trying to live up to your self proclaimed student image and google has a lot to answer for :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE