blankets for a traditional bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barry

Dec 24, 2004
dingwall
hi everyone

i would like to make up a traditional style bedroll something like the cowboys used could anyone reccomend where too get good quality blankets was thinking of a merino wool and camel hair mix as they are supposed to help regulate your temprature and ajust according to the weather but they are expensive also not sure where the best place to buy them would be thanks for any help you guys can provide

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
It might be worth a look in tk-maxx if there's one near you, they tend to have a selection of blankets and throws and can be pretty cheap (if a little hit and miss), i might have been lucky but i got a couple of pure merino blankets from there a while ago, they are good quality and were reduced in price as spring/summer isn't really blanket buying season for most people.
good luck with it

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
barry said:
hi everyone

i would like to make up a traditional style bedroll something like the cowboys used could anyone reccomend where too get good quality blankets was thinking of a merino wool and camel hair mix as they are supposed to help regulate your temprature and ajust according to the weather but they are expensive also not sure where the best place to buy them would be thanks for any help you guys can provide
I have had a considerable amount of help from Gary in relation to blankets and the sort of thing you are interested in.
Have a look at
http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/home.htm

I know that he will be only too happy to give advice if you email him.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon's right, good quality wool blankets come in between £3 and £8 usually. I can certainly tell you where to get then up here for that but p&p might be a bit of a pain :(
atb,
Toddy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Martyn said:
Looked all over, but couldnt see any blankets. Where are they?

I couldn't find them either... Then again, the post doesn't say they sell them, only that help was offered previously and proved to be very useful.

Maybe we're just assuming they would be available online because a URL was provided for contact purposes and you know what they say about assumption!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Martyn said:
Looked all over, but couldnt see any blankets. Where are they?
Sorry, I should have been clearer and meant that he had some quality Hudson Bay Blankets when I was looking for one and was extremely helpful. In the end I got one from soneone else as a one off, but thought he might still be worth asking.
The link was to provide the contact details.

These people also sell a range of authentic type blankets and I am pretty sure they used to sell the Hudson Bay ones too. No merino, or camel tho'

http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Backpacks__Haversacks__Ponchos___Blankets.html

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nice link and a good selection of blankets. Perhaps Tony might consider having the one offered below centre stitched with “BUSHCRAFT UK” as they are sure to fly off the shelf!

Cheers

Klench

"RB231 1st Issue Blanket ~ Now Even Better Value!!
US issue blanket. High quality 100% wool. Grey with black stripe. We can chain stitch the letters US to the centre, as originals, for an additional cost, call for further information.We have these made for us now as a result the quality of the blanket is better and the price is now £20.00 less than it was!
Usually available from stock but please allow 14 days for delivery in busy times. Price: £39.95 / $59.93"

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The suttlers store did do Hudson bay blankets but I think they were 2nds.
As seen as they are meant to be made in Britain they ought to be cheaper here.
The ACW blankets are pretty good but you're paying extra for the fact that they are meant to be historical replicas. We used to use the 2nd issue one as it was the most accurate copy and 2 of them makes a good bed.
I used to have a really huge coverlet I got in the states (double bed size) which you could cocoon yourself up in and was thick and warm enough to sleep out in the open in without a tent. As it was dense and pure wool it was fine in light rain too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE