Black Squirrels! not over cooked ones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Were they the ones that escaped from Washington?
Apparently escapees from a zoo run round Washington and are spreading.....D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My boyfriend has them in his garden at hertfordshire. they seemed more cat-like in the face than the greys. At first I thought they were black red squirrels.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The campsite in Starigrad, Croatia, is overrun with the little black beggars!
They are better looking than the Greys - but how do they taste?
If they are in Britain - is this the end of the greys?
Are they more of a threat to the Reds?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
"Making a run for it: There are fears the black squirrels could wipe out the greys."

Fears of the greys being wiped out? Sounds good to me.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
When I worked in Canada there were plenty out there. Big too, like small rabbits from what I remember.
Cheers,
Steve

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I think the scientific article keeps this moderately in perspective. The only difference between these and the grey is that they have more melanin (black pigment) in their fur. There is no excess testosterone - that is reporting hype. There may be some sexual selection that the females prefer the black male. But that is it. Not more aggressive, randy or any such thing. Not out competing. Anyway, thats my take on it.

The worldwide reports are interesting. The Canadian ones would be a black mutation of the USA grey. The Eastern European ones would most likely be black versions of the red or European squirrel.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As the article suggests, these seem to be just a natural variation of the ordinary grey squirrel. Nothing new there, other than the numbers that seem to now be in evidence, perhaps due to the females prefering the black males as partners resulting in higher numbers of black squirrel births.

On a large Estate I worked on in Bedfordshire, where I did pest control in my free time, we had black 'greys' nearly 20 years ago. I suspect the population of them there may have gone the same way as we are seeing now, had it not been for the fact that all squirrels (no reds present) were regarded as pests and the black ones did tend to 'stand out from the crowd' so to speak, and found themselves on the wrong end of a rifle barrel as easily but perhaps more often than their plain grey cousins. BTW, they taste excatly he same as a normal grey ;)

SRC

Mar 14, 2008
Herts
I live in Hertfordshire and have a black squirrel resident in my garden. It freaked me out when I first saw it on the path but it does the same things as the grey one who used to hang out there previously!

om2ae

Sep 2, 2006
Luton
Hi Guys

Longstrider and nitram55 are spot on they are a melanistic form of the grey, just like the peppered moth you should of learn't about in school. longstrider was the estate southill by any chance as the population here has increased in blacks, as you said they have been about for years.

martin

wibble

Feb 6, 2008
Norfolk
These things have been around in Hetfordshire for a long long time, Nothing new in them at all.

I grew up in Letchworth Garden City and these were common as anything over 30 years ago. They were also incredibly tame on the common and you could get pretty close up to them without much effort.

I remember a project on them at school and they are definitely just a grey variant with different colour pigment. If i remember right the first sighting goes back to the mid 40's so i'd say they are pretty established now.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Melanistic forms are not rare throughout the whole natural world....it's a genetic mutation that is caused usually by environmental stresses, saying that not always. Melanistic forms are usually expressed through the female of the species, but again not always. Melanism is an increase in melatonin and results in the black colouration, as opposed to "Albinism" which is a total lack of melanin. The melanistic squirrels are found in most populations, but it's usually suppressed, they are'nt "Super squirrels", unfortunately just regular greys with a fashion sense. Black is the new Grey baby mwoaahh :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE