A quick (solo) wild camp and some new kit - (Not really Bushcraft!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Managed to sneak off Friday afternoon to the Baslow area and checked out some of the "Edges".

Its a brilliant area to wild camp as there are so many nooks, crannies and crumbling walls across the access land. Unlike Edale where you are likely to bump into a ranger, its pretty chilled and quite around here, mostly climbers on the edges themselves. oh, and the walking is just brill!

I had in mind finding an overhang to bivvy under, but plans changed as I totally forgot how quick its getting dark now - so a quite corner of an empty field had to suffice.

I set up a Tarp from the wire fence to my walking poles over my bag and set about making dinner, mazed at how bright the moon was. Not a cloud in site. By 8pm it was damping down quick and I decided to get inside the bag and read thew news on my phone. Bizarrely, I cannot get a 3G signal in the town we live in and yet in the middle of nowhere a full 4G signal!!!!

I woke at 5am and my face was Bloody freezing, I also had water dripping from the tarp onto me. Total tarp failure! It was running in condensation and soaked both sided. So, I nipped out and quick took it down and snuggled back down till about 7am.

Pretty suprised to find everything crisp white with frost and the tarp frozen solid! I was super warm - really impressed with the cheap 3 seasons sleeping bag I got off Amazon. Its made by a company called UltraCamp (cue jokes...). It's not the lightest or smallest (taking up about 25 litres of rucksack space) but for the money is tip top!

Made breakfast and decided to walk over to some of the other edges and spent the morning playing mountain goat!

The new kit for this trip was a recently gifted Garmin GPSMAP 64s. Having never used a GPS for walking I was a bit unsure. I downloaded GPX files from routes I had planned on OS Getamap (£18 a year for free maps is well worth it!). The unit came with Topo installed and I can honestly say I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to use. What scared me is how lazy it would make you and no wonder so many people get into trouble when the batteries fail. It seems a good little device though and I can imagine it would come in handy on the tops at Edale where its near impossible to get a sighting with a compass and easy to end up bog trotting around it circles.

So not really a bushcraft weekend - but enjoyable nevertheless. I am finding at the minute my trips are becoming more and more hiking and wild camping or shooting trips and less bushcrafty. Dunno why, just the way it is :)

Well I hope you all had a great weekend!

Rhyan

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There is no stopping you now is there? Blimey!

Sounds like a good trip though... and more bushcrafty than my weekend of eating and drinking too much :p

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Lol! But addicted now!
Really annoyed about the tarp though. Maybe I had it a bit close and the difference in temperature (radiated v ambient) - never had it before.

I am def taking less kit each trip.

Next trip Lake District in October (unless I manage to sneak out again before then!)

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Yep and it's superb. I've had couple of these and for the money you cannot go wrong. No condensation inside the bag and space at the bottom for spare clothes.

I have quite a bit of Alpkit stuff and all of it gets top marks in my books

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
Hey Rhyan,

What do you think caused the wet tarp? Was it just the weather, as I was out the same weekend and was pretty damp just walking about in the drizzle/cloud I seemed to be in all day!

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE