Bizzarre bird sounds?

• Thread starter Deleted dude 7861
  • Start date
D

Deleted dude 7861

I've just been listening to what can only be described as the most oddest birdsong I have ever heard in the UK, in fact it sounded like I was in a rainforest or something.... I just cannot identify what I heard. It was an odd song like a quick rise in note then a long warbled low note, I first thought something like little owl but it's nothing like it, then for about 7 mins what sounded like two birds calling to each other can only be described as likened to somebody hitting a windchime very hard it was very quick bursts back and forth. I've never ever heard anything like it before in all my years.

Anyway Gloucestershire maybe has suddenly become exciting and exotic...wonders will never cease!

If anybody has any ideas on weird birds calling at night let me know,

Confused of Gloucestershire! :lmao:

D

Deleted dude 7861

Farmland environment. As for a woodwarbler yes it does sound slightly similar but this is much slower and lower in tone.....it's almost like a laugh and usually starts with a 'twit, twit' followed by that almost laughing call. The rest of the sounds have stopped but I think this call is not from the same bird.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Farmland environment. As for a woodwarbler yes it does sound slightly similar but this is much slower and lower in tone.....it's almost like a laugh and usually starts with a 'twit, twit' followed by that almost laughing call. The rest of the sounds have stopped but I think this call is not from the same bird.

maybe curlew, see link and click on '''play''' to listen to birds song http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/curlew/index.asp

D

Deleted dude 7861

Well the one bird I did get recorded on my mobile phone has been identified by two people now as a Cetti's Warbler but a dialect they haven't heard before? I never knew Cetti's warblers had dialects? :confused:

Definitely not a curlew and not the nightjar but the other strange calls I heard I cannot identify.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Well the one bird I did get recorded on my mobile phone has been identified by two people now as a Cetti's Warbler but a dialect they haven't heard before? I never knew Cetti's warblers had dialects? :confused:

Definitely not a curlew and not the nightjar but the other strange calls I heard I cannot identify.

That's good,don't get cetti's up here.

Chaffinch have 'accents' too I believe.

D

Deleted dude 7861

After listening to the rspb recordings I'm not convinced but listening to some other recordings on the web the alarm call does sound similar, still not convinced entirely though!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I heard a strange bird call recently and after a few days i spotted it on the roof of a house.

It turned out to be an escaped cockatiel, poor guy has been around for about 4 weeks now. I am surprised it hasnt been lunch yet as we have lots of hawks and buzzards about :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE