Bivvy Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a bivvy bag, but i dont know which one to get. I have been looking around on the internet for one, but i cant buy it off the internet as my parents still dont think its safe. I'm looking for one that isnt too expensive.(max £65) I've been looking at Gortex ones as i read they are more breathable. I'm keen on trying it as i wont to get out of my tent, and i dont wont to do hammoking.
So any help with be much appreciated.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Joe, check any army surplus stores near you, costs vary between £25 and £50 depending upon condition

.... --- .-- .-.. --- -. --. .-- -... . . -. .- .... .- -- ?

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
My parents had the whole 'don't think its safe' thing phase. I'm sure it'l pass though in time. Its not a bad idea having a look at the thing in person though. Im not sure you'l be able to get a gore-tex one with £65 though. You can get pertex though I think, which is a cheaper equivellent. Try www.springfields.co.uk I think they may have a breathable bag for around £60, its not gore-tex, but it should be ok. The store is in Burton upon Trent and its perfectly safe, Iv been to the actual shop before and bought online many times.

Make sure you know its really tough though, because I have one thats made from gore-tex, but its more like gore-tex pac-lite, which is thinner and Im slightly scared to use it because of this - its an american/japanese make called mont-bell. I'd also advise, just advise not to use it as a minimalistic shelter, use it with a sleeping bag and tent/tarp. People always go on about bivvying in nothing but the bag, but I reckon its not too good this way, as it wears away the lining and outer.

You may want to ask some of the more expierienced on this though. Most of the blokes on here are far my experienced and about twice my age.

J.Sharp.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
I checked the local army surplus store, and they were £95. I have seen you can get new ones for less, i have seen the kathmandu trekking bivvy bags and some others for less. I've seen the Rab Survival Zone, but i cant find a shop near me that sells them. What sort of shop will i be looking for that will sell them?

Cheers both,

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm sure I have seen the surplus British Army ones for £50 or £60 in OG??
Yep, here you go:
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/products.asp?pg=133

Go to http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp and look under sleeping gear/bivvi bags and Robert's you mum's bruv.
These are very good and tough. You'll be fine in just a sleeping bag inside, but a tarp of sorts would be a whole lot better and a kipmat underneath. As the bag is 8ft long, you can just about squeeze your kit inside too. The self inflating 'Thermarest' types are worth their weight in gold in my opinion, but don't forget the cheaper brands of these are just as good as the pricey ones for what you want.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I wish I got the dutch jobby, but Im quite happy with what I'v got - its just a bit too lightweight. The pack size is somthing like 4" x 8".

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
JoeG said:
I checked the local army surplus store, and they were £95. I have seen you can get new ones for less, i have seen the kathmandu trekking bivvy bags and some others for less. I've seen the Rab Survival Zone, but i cant find a shop near me that sells them. What sort of shop will i be looking for that will sell them?

Cheers both,

Hi Joe,

I'd imagine if you have a good camping shop near you and go in knowing what you want, they would order one for you even if they don't stock it. I bought my Jack wolfskin tent this way. My local shop only stocked JW shoes but were happy to order me the tent I wanted. Browse online > decide what you want > go to your camping shop > get them to order it. :) This may only work if they already have a rep they deal with for a specific company, though I could be wrong.................. It's worth a try anyway. Good luck

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
sharp88 said:
I wish I got the dutch jobby, but Im quite happy with what I'v got - its just a bit too lightweight. The pack size is somthing like 4" x 8".

Hmm... because I have a Dutch bivvy bag I don't use (bought as the 'loaner') and I want an ultra lightweight bivvy bag... Wanna swap? Is yours a bright colour? If so does anyone know if it is possible to dye it to something more subdued??

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Hi Joe,

I don’t know if you’ve ever had to zip yourself into a bivi bag, along with everything you are carrying, to shelter from a rainy windy night but I assure you it is not a great experience. Gore-Tex or not you can get perfectly wet from condensation in a short time and this goes double for anything cheap.
If your determined to bivi I would save up and get one of the mountaineering models Outdoor designs do an Alpine bivi in green that is at least as breathable as they get and other models have a short pole to raise the bag off your face (for the more claustrophobic like myself); they’re kind of minimalist tents.
Alternatively for about £30-£45 you can buy an Outdoor Designs 2 man bothy which you can pull into many different shapes and sizes (prop it away from your face with sticks etc.). At least it gives you enough room for your gear, though condensation is again a problem if you have to batten down the hatches for long; it does have vents though and a window!
My advice is use a tarp if you don’t think you’ll need your tent.
:thinkerg:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'd go along with the cheap plastic underneath and the tarp above - it means you can read, cook, keep all your kit out of the rain - assuming you choose a good spot. My bivvy bag has been out once, it was great though, but but the tarp and the space under it wins.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just to throw a spanner in the works, consider the Ajungilak grevling...
http://fjallsporttarnaby.e-butiken.se/?ref=kelkoo&artnr=1040183

Not gtx, but a waterproof nylon base and a breathable poly-cotton top. The top does have some water repellancy, but it wont protect you in a storm. The Grevling is more suited to tarp use as it's more of a sleeping bag protector than a bivvi. They rate it as adding 2-3C to the warmth. It's compact, fairly tough and fairly light. You could use it on it's own in the summer, but in autumn/winter you'd definitely need a tarp.

A lighter/dryer option than bivvi/tarp.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I have looked at the Bothy, but i'm more keen to have a go at bivvy bagging. As it will be used when the rest of my family are in the tent, i dont really need to have somewhere i an cook, the tent will be used for that. If the tent isn't there, my stove isnt big, and my wind surround can wrap around it, but it wont if there is something on there with a handle or anything. I have thought about getting a small tarp that if need be, i can cook under.
Whats the difference between the dutch bags and te ones over here?

- .... .- -. -.- ..- ..-. --- .-. - .... . -- --- .-. ... . .-. ... -.- -.-- -.. -. - ..- -.-. --- -- . --- -.?

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Except for the British army one, we dont have any over here. And the British army one is hard to find.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE