Bit of lateral thinking Volume 2 (pic heavy)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Using the T bar in the socket set will work if you have something to adapt it with. Y'see the square end on the auger needs to fit into a square socket. i.e. the socket reversed. See photos for details.

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

I got the idea from seeing photos of clog makers. I tried linking to a photo but it ain't having any of it. Run a google image search and you'll see what I'm blathering on about. Maybe the link will work now after editting

73969240GnyXxR_fs.jpg

On a completely different tack have a gander at this pic. I've bought various drill and bits sets over the years and those grey things have always puzzled me. Help! I don't have a clue.

0014.jpg

Last edited:

strollon

Mar 4, 2005
suffolk
those grey things are for starting your wood screws in timber,insert drilldriver bit in smaller end, woodscrew other end, pull trigger slowly and screw revolves inside plastic tube without wobbling or cutting thumb and fingers

Regards Strollon

Biker

those grey things are for starting your wood screws in timber,insert drilldriver bit in smaller end, woodscrew other end, pull trigger slowly and screw revolves inside plastic tube without wobbling or cutting thumb and fingers

Regards Strollon

Riiiight OK. Well I have 3 for sale cos' I'm never likely to ever have to use them. Been using a battery drill to put in screws for the past 25 years if I can't do it right by now I never will :togo:

Thanks for the info fella's.

Hey that tent peg idea looks clever, thanks for sharing Woodspirits

Using the T bar in the socket set will work if you have something to adapt it with. Y'see the square end on the auger needs to fit into a square socket. i.e. the socket reversed. See photos for details.

0010.jpg

Ah oks no you cant use the T bar direct then :)

you can get square sockets tho as well for square head coach bolts :D

other way would be to forge teh end of the auget into a Eyelet or weld o na eyelet etc to take a bar or bit of green wood etc

ATB

Duncan

Biker

Was using this part through...
481301.jpg

Yeah I'm familier with those adapters, lost out by 2p bidding on one on ebay last year.

The end of an auger is square in section while the adapter socket is hexagonal and only accepts hexagonal bits. See first pic above and you'll see what I mean. Unless you have an hexagonal tailed auger of course then go for it.

I should point out that I wasn't just talking about using these for tapping trees but using them as hole makers in general.

And not in the context of that old rhyme:

"In days of old when Knight were bold and women weren't invented..." etc :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE