My progress of making my first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I posted this on daily doings of a bushcrafter at Bushcraft USA and it was said I should post it as a thread, I thought that was a good Idea. So here it is on here too.

I've been wanting to make myself a bushcraft style knife for years. I finally bought a length of 4mm x 30mm x 500mm O1 tool steel of eBay and started.

So a couple of weeks ago I spent an hour or so shaping it to this point mainly using a hacksaw and files. I also used a bench grinder a little bit too.

That's where I got to last time, I only took one photo of it.
tbFumuE.jpg

So I finally had a chance to get back to it yesterday.

6oByQLs.jpg

I finished off the spine. Good old Trizact belt!

rv1MLbc.jpg

I drilled a couple of extra holes and a lanyard hole, although I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use it. I'm going to be using 2 3mm brass pins and good glue to mount the handle. If I do it'll be 6mm brass

64Ervaw.jpg

I then started to shape the handle, I really like that Japanese saw, cuts through wood like butter!

cMSRfm9.jpg

All I intend to do is shape the front of the scales before gluing them on. I like a curved end to the handle, obviously you cant do that part once its glues and pinned.

GjuzCfb.jpg

Just like that.

pwlQNSR.jpg

Should be good, I like a thick handle. Thin handles make my palms hurt.

zy5Hg1o.jpg

I do all this in my Mum's garage as I live in a flat and don't have one, I left my countersink at home, so I improvised with what I had to hand, my reduced shank 19mm drill bit. Worked a treat, bit of a hexagon shape, but really all it was for was to clean up the holes and wont be seen. I'd already used a 6mm drill bit to countersink the 3mm holes for the pins.

G4eKhzk.jpg

I then took it home and sanded it with some 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper with WD40 on it to clean it up a bit. Needs more but I'll do that later.

ZIydZPg.jpg

Feels Nice in hand

Os2gy71.jpg

Those groves should fit my chunky fingers just about perfect, even if I do say so myself.

eSfxMXu.jpg

I didn't have a length in mind, just similar to my goto bushcraft knife the Enzo Trapper which is a fixed blade I love!

Next is to knock up a jig to file the bevels and that'll be the next step. I'm thinking something like a high scandi, almost a full flat, but not quite, something like 1cm from the top of the knife. I fully intend for this to be a user and as I want something to fill the gap between my scandi's and full flats. I saw the as a good time to have a go at making one.

Edit: I forgot to mention that that wood is recycled, its an off cut of my workbench I made a few months ago from old balance benches from a football club a mate works at, really good quality wood!

I'd used an off cut before as I made a little detail knife out of a blunt file, I just drilled a hole and put glue in and the blade, its a really grippy wood, especially with raw linseed oil on.

Useful little knife.

s7ZFwNK.jpg

Last edited:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks!

I want to take my time and do the best job I can.

Looking good so far!

What kind of wood have you made the handle slabs from?

I'm not 100% sure, I looked into what the benches are made of, but couldn't find out. I think it could be beach. Most now are made of pine but its not pine.

If id not used the off cut I'd of got some stabilized walnut. I've put that on a couple of blanks and a Dan Koster V1 Bushcrafter that was way too thin, FANTASTIC knife one I put a meaty slabs on it (I know the later versions were thicker and dosent have the aggressive jimping on the spine)

In fact as I happen to have a photo to hand here's what it looks like

s6X59wR.jpg

I also just made the wooden part of the jig

Ij3pwjP.jpg

Last edited:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Time for an update

9WNPhL5.jpg

Finally got round to putting the bevel on it before heat treating. I decided to go for a really convex grind.

I didn't bother with the filing gig. I just used my 1x30 beltsander as I'm very limited for time atm.

You can also see the friction folder I'm making too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE