Bit of a problem with my poncho...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I set up my poncho last night and was going to stay under it, I'd set up my camping mat and sleeping bag and it was like this:
2vnop03.jpg

A piece of cord from one end to the fence, and one at the other end to the trampoline then guyed out with pegs.

But there were thunder storms and rain so I decided not to go out, and woke up with my poncho like this:
2mg3210.jpg

2isk0oz.jpg

The hood had fallen in and had filled with water and was slowly dripping through on to my sleeping bag.

This is what the hood usually looks like, I saw that there was a place for the water to pool in but didn't think the whole hood would go under!
2q2fsap.jpg

How should I keep this from happening? Would I have to set it up over a ridge-line instead?

Thanks,
Asa

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You could either;
tie a bundle of cord around the hood to prevent it from filling up - or
tie the hood up as before and then tie it to an external ridgeline - or
tie the hood up to an overhanging branch - (difficult in a garden I know) - or

as you've said, use an internal ridgeline - but you'd still need to bundle the hood to stop it becoming a balloon.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Try tying the neck of it tightly off to stop water egress.

Alternatively do as Wayland (I hope he doesn't mind me using his pic) has done in this pic of him camping with a poncho

Norwegian_evening.jpg

The angle of the pitch ought to stop the water filling the hood but to make doubly sure tie it off as I originally said.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...tie a bundle of cord around the hood to prevent it from filling up..."

What he said :)

And I would suggest that using a ridge line will make for a more secure and drier nights sleep, tie a couple of short lengths of (differently sized) cord to the eyelets and use those to tension the poncho on the guy line with a couple of prusik or klemheist knots.

Alternatively if your happy to risk an eye, tension the poncho with a couple of bungees. :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure tying the hood would work too well as as you can see in the last picture the water isn't going into the hood, it's the rest of the poncho, I think having a ridgeline to give it a proper shape at the top might be the only way for it to work.

I tried lifting the hood up as if it was tied up and there was still a flat area aroudn the base of the hood for water to get trapped in.

I'll just have to experiment once the rain stops.

Thanks,
Asa.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I saw someone fix this a long time ago,
They closed the hood with the drawcord as tightly as it would go. Then they tied another length of cord around a pebble wrapped in the top of the hood, and pulled that out sideways and pegged it down so that the 'face' bit was hidden and couldn't let in rain.
Seemed to work.

cheers,
Toddy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I saw someone fix this a long time ago,
They closed the hood with the drawcord as tightly as it would go. Then they tied another length of cord around a pebble wrapped in the top of the hood, and pulled that out sideways and pegged it down so that the 'face' bit was hidden and couldn't let in rain.
Seemed to work.

cheers,
Toddy

That sounds like it would probably work, I'll give it a go, thanks :)

oetzi, the seams seem fine, but thanks for the link :)

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Back in the day when we were issused these as bashas sop's were to to goose neck the hood up. Tie it at the base tightly then twist the hood into a tight roll bend it so the bend is at a part where the chin bit comes then bind it tight across the bend (the goose neck) no water will ever enter it again

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I draw the cord up then tie it around the hood, fold it over and tie it around again.

What you end up with is a tight bundle of hood that sticks up on top.

Sometimes I tie a cord from that to some foliage above and use it as an extra support for the ridge line.

This always worked for me too - and it's the way that we have taught the Scouts. Hope they remembered the lesson as we are off this weekend for a "Backwoods Weekend".

No tents - no billies - they will be wet and hungry if it all goes wrong!

Simon

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Back in the day when we were issused these as bashas sop's were to to goose neck the hood up. Tie it at the base tightly then twist the hood into a tight roll bend it so the bend is at a part where the chin bit comes then bind it tight across the bend (the goose neck) no water will ever enter it again

I can def vouch for this. If you tie that hood up well nothing will come through.

Dec 16, 2007
Extra ridgeline running the length of the poncho out side then tie the hood to that.
I have set up ponchos on fences before as a lean to with a walking pole outside with cord running from hood to pole to ground that will give you more room to move in side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE