Bison and Reindeer Skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Angus Og said:
Abbe do you know how much one of these reindeer skins weigh.

From my communication with Abbe he thinks about the 2Kg mark. Given the sizes we expect that I could send these as small packets through the post with a cost hopefully just below £10. This is all based on me understanding the Post Office web site correctly. In fact if I am correct the weight can go up to 4kg and still be within the same price range.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
MagiKelly said:
From my communication with Abbe he thinks about the 2Kg mark. Given the sizes we expect that I could send these as small packets through the post with a cost hopefully just below £10. This is all based on me understanding the Post Office web site correctly. In fact if I am correct the weight can go up to 4kg and still be within the same price range.

Thanks John lighter than I thought.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
f-bump.gif

Any news on these skins. :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I ask around here for reindeer furs but it doesnt look good. The reindeer farmers could sell me some furs but they are air dried. These are the best furs to use outside around the fire, but we are not allowed to export them into the UK.

The chemical tanned furs which I could send you over are not availible to a good price. All these furs are bought up from a single tanning company or maybe two, it looks to me like that, they all have the same prices. If I add onto it the cost for transport it will not be much cheaper for you than buying them in UK, there you even
can see and choose yourself.

I am not going to start a big group buy for reindeer furs at this time, I first have to find better resources. In the end of Feb I am going to the Jokkmock market, maybe there I can get a good contact, exchange phonenumbers and find a direct contact, as long as I have the major players between us and the furs I am not getting good enough prices.

see you
cheers
Abbe

Reactions: Goose

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
MagiKelly said:
Thanks for trying Abbe, of course now I have an almost uncontrollable urge to find out what a UK supplier would quote us for a group buy ;)

Check with Gary, he is selling them and I could see that he is even applying a rubber coating on the skin side which could be a good thing in your climate.

Outdoorcode has them too!

cheers
Abbe

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Okay if buying in bulk I could get them from this guy for about £43 delivered to me.

http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8254569628

However by the time we added postage to you and PayPal fees you would not really be saving much from buying them direct (about £58). They deal with the import licence etc and if buying direct you will not incurr VAT or the like which there is a possability we would incur if we get 20+.

Still waiting to hear from a couple of other sources but not wildly confident that there is a great saving out there.

leon-1

pierre girard said:
While green Buffalo hides are not too dear, shipping out of the states would be a problem. Friends say Braintan.com is a good place for tanned buffalo hide. This would be braintanned - not sure If I'd recommend that for something you'd use for outdoors sleeping mat. Price is $995 and there is an eight to ten week wait.
PG

Hi mate, I have bought from them before, it is not an experience that I would suggest to anyone in the UK. I bought a quarter moose hide, I had been qouted 8 weeks, then I got told that it would take a further 8 weeks, then after 24 weeks I got in touch and got a rather ****ty reply from them. Eventually after having had to threaten them with both trading standards and legal action I got my quarter moose hide. It had taken 1 year and 3 weeks (thrilled), because I had to pay extra I had to go down to the post office, it cost me an extra £25.

When I finally got home with my moose hide I opened the package to find my hide, now I have seen moose in the wild, what I can say is this must have come off the only pigmy moose on the planet, I wasn't best pleased either with the product or the service.

If you had posted this when I had initially got the hide from them I would of ranted for the better part of a week, over a year later I am still not best pleased and have vowed never to either give them business or buy from them ever again.

leon-1

stevej said:
hi, i have found this uk site selling bison hides and buckskin. i have not delt with them so cannot say what service is like. http://www.geocities.com/pnewton2/buffalo.html

That's a good price Steve, the last time I was looking at Bison Hide was Bush Farm (where they hold the Wilderness Gathering), IIRC it was a fair bit more expensive than that but it may be worth getting in touch with them as well.

It may be worth looking on Evil Bay as well, there is a trader on there called the The leather Guy who sells a lot of hides including Elk, Deer and Bison.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Bearclaw,
I am sorry, but I have removed your posts.

Please refer to Rule 6:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=45

It appears that you do indeed have things on your site that would be of genuine value to members; however, digging up a year old thread in order to advertise yourself is not the best way to go about things. In the past we have been very strict on the issue of self promotion, particularly when it comes to quoting prices for specific goods you are offering for sale. The rules haven't become more lax since then, its just that we haven't needed to apply them as often as we used to. :D

Best bet is to send an email to Tony at info@bushcraftuk.com and discuss how best to announce yourself.

ATB

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Tony/Mods I hope this is ok to post, if not please remove.

So no confusion occurs I would like to point out that Bearclaw Trading has no connection or link to Bearclaw Bushcraft what so ever.
Casper at Nordic Outdoor in Edinburgh is an importer of Reindeer hides, he might be open to a group buy approach, but I'm not putting myself forward to organise it. :)
In clarification I have no connection with Bearclaw Trading or Nordic Outdoor, I do have connections with Bearclaw Bushcraft.

Bearclaw

Jan 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
C_Claycomb said:
Bearclaw,
I am sorry, but I have removed your posts.

Please refer to Rule 6:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=45

It appears that you do indeed have things on your site that would be of genuine value to members; however, digging up a year old thread in order to advertise yourself is not the best way to go about things. In the past we have been very strict on the issue of self promotion, particularly when it comes to quoting prices for specific goods you are offering for sale. The rules haven't become more lax since then, its just that we haven't needed to apply them as often as we used to. :D

Best bet is to send an email to Tony at info@bushcraftuk.com and discuss how best to announce yourself.

ATB

Fair enough, it was a genuine mistake. I was answering the question of how much a skin importer could get them for a group buy.
Cheers
BearClaw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE