Bison and Reindeer Skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Hi Everyone

Happy New Year

Does anyone know where to get Bison and Reindeer skins ? and what sort of money would be reasonable to pay for them.

Cheers

Mike

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
MikeS said:
Hi Everyone

Happy New Year

Does anyone know where to get Bison and Reindeer skins ? and what sort of money would be reasonable to pay for them.

Cheers

Mike

Reindeer skins you can get from me, price I dont know yet as I would have to check with your adress and postage from me to you.

PS when do you need them?

yours
Abbe

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Abbe Osram said:
Reindeer skins you can get from me, price I dont know yet as I would have to check with your adress and postage from me to you.

PS when do you need them?

yours
Abbe

Maybe interested in one of those myself if you have any going spare??

MickT

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
bothyman said:
Maybe interested in one of those myself if you have any going spare??

MickT

If there are more people I could start up a group buy and see if I get a better price.
cheers
Abbe

I will wait how many show a general interest and come back to you with more information.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Abbe

I have a Reindeer pelt, which is excellant when I'm in the Hammock :)

Would quite possibly be interested in another, depending on cost

Cheers

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
MikeS said:
Hi Everyone

Happy New Year

Cheers

Mike
I think you can get Bison skins from Bison Bushcraft.
There was one at the 2004 Wilderness Gathering uncurred and fresh going for about £80 IIRC
Interesting project....

Abbe - perhaps worth putting up a thread in the group buys !

Cheers

Mark

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Not yet mate as I have to see the general intested and see what I can do with the numbers.
If I buy from a reindeer farmer one single fur I will get a different price than I would buy 20 or 30 therefore I have to see how many people are interested and then I start calling around trying to find a good deal up here.

We have to check as well the law in UK and Sweden. I know they are quite tuff about everything. If someone would like to help me figuring out how the UK laws are I would be very happy about it.

I too could get you guys fur from fox if that is allowed to bring into the UK.
To make parka ruffs they are great and will be much cheaper than to buy from fjäll räven.

So, let me check first what the final interest number will be and I come back with a price to you guys.

cheers
Abbe

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
How do you look after reindeer hides. Does the hair molt, do you have to carry them around in a bag, can they be left in front of an open fire, do they need any regular treatment, do they smell?

Ta

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hello Mr Osram

First off, Happy New Year!

Secondly, please can I register my interest in one (possibly 2) Reindeer pelts price permitting? (Fox pelts sound very tempting too...hmmmm - PETA will love me)

Thank you kindly

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I am giving a little teaching here about the furs and how to keep them.

There are two kinds of reindeer furs, dried and chemical tanned. Both are used in different way and the costs are different too. The UK import laws are different on both of them too.
I got just, via pm, news about the law, from a member here.

Chemical tanned are roughly double price as the dried one is. But the dried one will be stuck in UK customs and will have to wait to get green light from a vet, and there the price can go up.

I quote here from the pm:

....snip...

But the hides must be tanned or else they have to have a vetinary certificate from a Border control post .. which is slightly costly... the UK is very strict on imports so if you do a group buy be careful.

....snip.....

You use the dried ones with direct contact on the ground, outside around the fire. You can use it one the snow-machine etc.
Here in use on the sleadge:
standing.jpg

The backside of the fur is hard and stiff; one can’t get it very small but you are still able to roll it up. They are better protected against moist from the ground because they kept a natural gum from the old skin, which got lost on the chemical tanned furs.

Here is a dried fur on the ground:
dried01.jpg

Here is the backside of the same skin, hard and stiff and you still can see the veins and dried up skin.
dried02.jpg

How long your fur will keep its fur and serves you well is depending how you take care for it.
The fur should never dry out, hanging on the balcony in summertime will surly kill them. Never store them in a plastic bag, keep them in a freezer in summertime or in a cool, dark and dry place. Winter here is strong so we keep them hanging on a rag outside our houses. In UK you will have to see that you provide them a cool and dry place. The dried ones have a strong smell; they smell like reindeer, so this is not a nice fur to have in front of your fireplace in your cabin. If you want to have a Reindeer fur inside your house or tent or cabin a tanned one is a better option.

The chemical tanned fur doesn’t smell so strong and it is softer on the skin side. You get it smaller when you pack it.
before-packing.jpg

packing-it.jpg

The chemicals tanned don’t get stuck in customs as far as I know; but we will have to check that out more. The only trouble with them is that you will have to work with a kind of nix wax solution on the skin side or rubber treatment to make it resisted to moisture from the ground. The tanned suck up the moisture from the ground if not protected. To put them with you in your hammock, in your tent, or if you cut spruce tree under the chemical tanned fur works well. If it happens that your fur gets wet, dry it slowly don’t force dry it over a heater or fire. Reindeer furs are very very warm and there is no difference between the chemical tanned or the dried ones. I use the dried ones outside like on the sledge of the snow-machine and the soft tanned in my hammock.
feet.jpg

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
I have about a general interest from different people from this Thread and PMs of about 20 reindeer furs. I will now with this number check what I can do price wise and check with my local post station what roughly a reindeer fur would cost to mail to the uk. I will too have to check with customs etc etc.
Before I don’t have all the info together I will not consider this yet as an group buy but will start the Thread under Group buy when we all know more and I can give you a price. Lets see if we pull that thing off the ground.

Cheers
Abbe

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Abbe...........I would be interested in a hide though I have heard that they lose their fir quickly, is this because of the heat of our summers. I think I speak for most of us when I say it would be unpractical to store them in the freezer (the Mrs would kick up a stink).............Jon

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Abbe...........I would be interested in a hide though I have heard that they lose their fir quickly, is this because of the heat of our summers. I think I speak for most of us when I say it would be unpractical to store them in the freezer (the Mrs would kick up a stink).............Jon

LOL
We have very big freezers here, I got a moose hide in the freezer and several birds and lots of fish from last year. But I didnt have my reindeer skin in the freezer last summer it was stored in a cold and dry place and lost nothing. I am talking here about the chemical tanned one you see on the pictures.

The dried ones are from my neigbor and I asked him how old they where, and he said that they have been several years old. I could not see that they lost their hair.

I believe two things are off importance. How they have been tanned and how do you take care of them. England is quite moist in air and climate, I believe that is a factor to consider too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE