Bison and Reindeer Skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
not sure what you want them for, but have you ever thought about sheep skin rugs? They go for about £25 and are very warm. I was going to buy a few reindeer skins as part of a "more natural" sleeping kit but cant really afford them, the sheep rugs are bulky but are very very warm.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
RovingArcher said:
Here in the land of the bison/buffalo, a quality robe/skin will cost us in upwards of $800.00-$1200.00US, plus high shipping because they weigh quite a bit and are quite large.

Woww, that are good prices. Ever thought of farming buffalos? I guess the meat is great and you can sell more than that. As I can see that the skins are expensive too your can make a good living being a buffalo farmer.
How much land do you need to have a small herd?
cheers
Abbe

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Those that can keep a healthy herd of Buffalo have several thousand acres for the large animals to roam and graze. Usually found in the plains states and there are a few smaller herds here in California and maybe others in other states. If memory serves me correctly, the largest herd is on Indian land in the Dakotas. The Buffalo is still considered wild, even when a fence surrounds them, so it is difficult to get a permit to raise them. Actually, you put them on the land and they take care of the rest. No growth hormones, no antibiotics, no mad cow. They eat grass and provide excellent nutrition, warm robes and even their skulls are considered valuable.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
RovingArcher said:
Those that can keep a healthy herd of Buffalo have several thousand acres for the large animals to roam and graze. Usually found in the plains states and there are a few smaller herds here in California and maybe others in other states. If memory serves me correctly, the largest herd is on Indian land in the Dakotas. The Buffalo is still considered wild, even when a fence surrounds them, so it is difficult to get a permit to raise them. Actually, you put them on the land and they take care of the rest. No growth hormones, no antibiotics, no mad cow. They eat grass and provide excellent nutrition, warm robes and even their skulls are considered valuable.

How much is the cost of some buffalo meat maybe in a can so I can test it here.
As you already have moose and bear I dont now what to bart it with. LOL
How does the meat taste mate?

cheers
Abbe

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Ahhh, Buffalo doesn't taste anything like beef. A bit wild in taste, but very mild and tasty in my opinion.

In Cabelas Christmas catalog they have item #MF-61-6168, which is canned Buffalo in a wild game meat gift set, along with canned Elk, Canned Cajun Alligator and Canned Rattlesnake for a price of US$34.99 plus shipping. Each can's contents weighs 7 1/2oz. Shipping would be more than the item I think.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
RovingArcher said:
Ahhh, Buffalo doesn't taste anything like beef. A bit wild in taste, but very mild and tasty in my opinion.

In Cabelas Christmas catalog they have item #MF-61-6168, which is canned Buffalo in a wild game meat gift set, along with canned Elk, Canned Cajun Alligator and Canned Rattlesnake for a price of US$34.99 plus shipping. Each can's contents weighs 7 1/2oz. Shipping would be more than the item I think.

same here the post is stripping us naked after the internet killed them nearly. Now if one needs to send a paket they eat you alive in the post office.
Its very likely that I cant pull a group buy off the ground as postage is nearly the price of a reindeer fur. Its really sick but I will ask around for other ways.

cheers
Abbe

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Will check with friends on buffalo hides. Used to be able to get them for nothing from a local farmer. He got rid of the buffalo. Couldn't make any money off them. Tried tanning one once. More work than I care for. On an adult, the leather needs to be shaved (thinned) to be of any use.

PG

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
What you could do is to ship the whole batch to someone in the UK who redistributes them.

Abbe Osram said:
same here the post is stripping us naked after the internet killed them nearly. Now if one needs to send a paket they eat you alive in the post office.
Its very likely that I cant pull a group buy off the ground as postage is nearly the price of a reindeer fur. Its really sick but I will ask around for other ways.

cheers
Abbe

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
While green Buffalo hides are not too dear, shipping out of the states would be a problem. Friends say Braintan.com is a good place for tanned buffalo hide. This would be braintanned - not sure If I'd recommend that for something you'd use for outdoors sleeping mat. Price is $995 and there is an eight to ten week wait.

My favorite dealer, Canadian Buckskin, Fur & Leather, has had some problems with customs and now ships hair on leather only within Canada. I checked their site and find they currently have no wild game hair on leather for sale. When they first opened, in the 1980s, I used to buy furs from them as it was cheaper to buy from them than it was to tan my own furs. I'm checking on a couple of other leads.

PG

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
I might pull it off to get reindeer furs for you but it will end up that one person has to take the entire shipment and distribute the skins to you from within England.

Shipping them piece-by-piece will end up being more expensive for you than buying it from a English retailer.

The cost for transport is killing the idea of sending them to each individual address.
Shipment would cost nearly the same as then entire fur.
I am still checking the pricing for transport here but as it is a holiday tomorrow, most shops and services are closed today too so it will take a while before I have all the pricing together.
Than I will have to find the best priced reindeer farmer for us and come back to you with final pricing then we can see if we start an official reindeer fur group buy.

PS
There was a question here if I could get as well tanned reindeer skinned without the hair, for leather bags and cloth.
Yes, I can organize that too; it might be even a good idea getting everything in one go over to you to the UK.

Stay tuned!

Abbe

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Abbe Osram said:
I might pull it off to get reindeer furs for you but it will end up that one person has to take the entire shipment and distribute the skins to you from within England.

I could help with that but not until march, I am traveling for the rest of Jan and I'll move from Cumbria to Kent in Feb...

Abbe Osram said:
There was a question here if I could get as well tanned reindeer skinned without the hair, for leather bags and cloth.
Yes, I can organize that too; it might be even a good idea getting everything in one go over to you to the UK.

Ohh, I want one of those!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
MagiKelly said:
I'm sure you will find someone but it may be distributed from Scotland :D

Hi guys,
Yes, I asked MagiKelly to be the distributer of the shipload, he is trusted here at BCUK and has run several group buys before.

We too will get much cheaper shipment prices if I am able to run a single shipment to MagiKelly and he hands out all the furs and skinns.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE