Billy steamer insert

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
No doubt this is blatantly obvious, but I just can't see how the steamer inserts that come with billy cans can be used to steam. They haven't got holes in them! I'm obviously missing something. Please, someone fill me in.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
that’s because they are not steamer inserts, and the items sold in the uk as billy cans were never designed to be cooking vessels.

the billycans sold in the UK are imported from Thailand where they are used for there intended purpose, they are the Asian equivalent of a lunch box.

Asians travelling or going to work store there lunch in these containers, the part you refer to as a 'steamer insert' is in fact a divider so that the smaller portion of the food (meat and sauce for example) can be kept separate from the rice in the larger compartment.

you can drill holes in this divider and convert it into a steamer though

I have seen other items sold as billy cans which are in fact ice buckets for drinks bottles etc these however do not have a divider

leon-1

wentworth said:
No doubt this is blatantly obvious, but I just can't see how the steamer inserts that come with billy cans can be used to steam. They haven't got holes in them! I'm obviously missing something. Please, someone fill me in.

I take it that you mean the zebra billy's, no you ain't wrong and you ain't missing anything. I tend to use it either as a plate / bowl or use it in conjunction with the pot as a ban marie type, it is quite good for scrambling eggs :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE