Billhooks anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulhereford

Mar 15, 2009
Hereford
Good evening,

Does anyone use a billhook for anything bushcrafty?

I know a billhook can be a little on the heavy side but personally I can put up with that due to the usefullness of a hook.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Good evening,

Does anyone use a billhook for anything bushcrafty?

I know a billhook can be a little on the heavy side but personally I can put up with that due to the usefullness of a hook.

You best go and hunt down posts by British Red, he uses one, amongst many other sharp and shiny things:rolleyes:

paulhereford

Mar 15, 2009
Hereford
You best go and hunt down posts by British Red, he uses one, amongst many other sharp and shiny things:rolleyes:

lol thanks. I will have a scout around. I was just wondering as I have used one for hedging, coppicing etc and haven't seen much evidence of there use in bushcraft.

I took a hook to a weekend survival course in the New Forest last May and whilst my using it raised a few eyebrows a number of my fellow trainees seemed quite impressed by its usefullness for shelter and reflector building

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been converted to the Billhook.......when I can afford the weight :)
I still love my axe and knives, but, to be sure, the Billhook is a very versatile tool indeed!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have seen old photographs of bodgers in the woods with differential grinds - a much higher finer grind at the back allowing for finer carving and broad convex chopping edge at the front. I am attempting to get mine the same way and it's proving very very useful.

I'm also working on a light mask to allow me to take it around a bit more, I'll show pics when I get around to it, but my wife has just asked for a messenger bag....

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Ahh the hooker, now slightly redundant, though i really should make an effort to use it round the estate

pictures if you please gentlemen, i would especially like to see any masks or sheaths :D

Thank you

Sam

I'll do anything that an axe can do and a whole lot more with my billhook and a lot quicker too. But there's billhooks and billhooks. I've worked with many different types when I spent a few years working with willow and hazel professionally and I settled on a Morris hook, a newton. If I had to change I'd probably go with a lighter spar hook.

I'm interested in the geographic variations/development of this tool particulary in Scotland. It's endemic in use England, but in Scotland there's a lack of info on regional variations/development. Up here it was more recently associated as a general purpose agricultural tool for example used for howking neeps and topping them (up until gthe 70's).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just made a big, wide sheath out of wax-dipped leather with a braided loop of leather thonging to secure the handle in transport.
It is set up for a crossbody draw.
Too crude to bother photographing....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh the hooker, now slightly redundant, though i really should make an effort to use it round the estate

pictures if you please gentlemen, i would especially like to see any masks or sheaths :D

Thank you

Sam

These might be useful for some ideas - the sheaths for my Newton and Khighton pattern bills.

3316283072_763543e0a9_o.jpg

3316283068_763665775a_o.jpg

356239225_07f669a393_o.jpg

356239220_ab87dfa5b4_o.jpg

All credit of course to the incomparable Topknot and Singteck!

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
billhooks have come up a couple of times recently here. Seems that they are becoming more popular amongst bushcrafters. About time too! goodjob

such as:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47416&highlight=billhook
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37041&highlight=billhook
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50288&highlight=billhook
infact doing a search for 'billhook' brought up over 300 hits :)

my everyday hook is a copy of a 3rd century one and does well for me. It's the bottom one in this pic.
medhook.jpg

and sheathed
billhooksheathedsm.jpg

The handle that is on there has been replaced since the pics were taken (I ran a 7 tonne digger over my hook :rolleyes:). The new one is oak and much better shaped for control in that it is broadly L-shaped and flat on the sides; I'm not a fan of round handles.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is indeed Chopper. Its a beaverskin waistcoat from Norway. Really warm and amazingly wind and waterproof. A surprisingly coarse fur but very practical

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
I love my billhook, it's a plastic handled Fiskars/Wilkinson Sword one.
I have in the absence of a decent axe used it for roughing out some carving projects.

Again I love my billhook.
:)

Alan.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have a few and have used them a lot around the farm over the years, In british woodland they are very hard to beat.

myhooks.jpg

The top one has now gone to a better place (John Fenna's Place:D)
The middle one is my main user.

Mark

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i have lost mine in the depths of the shed:cussing:

damn fine tools they are too. had my one for years and years.

i dont know the name but there is a brand which makes them with a swell at the tip - which is very useful for splitting.

will track one down one of these days.

andy

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
It's quite interesting for me seeing all of these pictures. I'm a big fan of billhooks and have used them a lot while working in foresrty around Lanarkshire. What you guys are posting pictures of are more like what we would have called Hedge knives and been on a longer 3 or 4 foot shaft. A billhook to me should have both the hookblade and a wider blade giving a straight edge on the back.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
It's quite interesting for me seeing all of these pictures. I'm a big fan of billhooks and have used them a lot while working in foresrty around Lanarkshire. What you guys are posting pictures of are more like what we would have called Hedge knives and been on a longer 3 or 4 foot shaft. A billhook to me should have both the hookblade and a wider blade giving a straight edge on the back.

to me thats a yorkshire or stafford patten, i may be wrong, i normally am :D

Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE