Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'll see what I can do. Re use, I have others I prefer. Besides, the chequered steel grip is fairly aggressive. Pop over and give it a spin if you like.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah would be nice - can't even muster the bus fare to the next village at the moment. I'd heard the grip was vicious, though this was to pass all the soap tests that were the standard at the time. I lot of survivalists were worried about the government coming for them in the shower obviously. :rolleyes:

Don't know if I'll ever splash out like I used to, that CR Mountaineer for sale on here looks lovely but I've too much steel as it is. Bob and I were laughing about that while we were at Wooplaw the other week. We have lovely knives yet mine never left it's sheath all weekend, I used my little Opinel #8 for everything.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ah would be nice - can't even muster the bus fare to the next village at the moment. I'd heard the grip was vicious, though this was to pass all the soap tests that were the standard at the time. I lot of survivalists were worried about the government coming for them in the shower obviously. :rolleyes:

Don't know if I'll ever splash out like I used to, that CR Mountaineer for sale on here looks lovely but I've too much steel as it is. Bob and I were laughing about that while we were at Wooplaw the other week. We have lovely knives yet mine never left it's sheath all weekend, I used my little Opinel #8 for everything.

I do use a lot of mine but others were bought out of knife lust rather than need.

I know what you mean about bus fare. My CR buying days are long gone alas.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do use a lot of mine but others were bought out of knife lust rather than need.

I know what you mean about bus fare. My CR buying days are long gone alas.

Always money for toys when your a young buck. Dread to think of what I've bought and had to sell during famine mode.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Always money for toys when your a young buck. Dread to think of what I've bought and had to sell during famine mode.

I only sold the ones I don't like. Furniture went before the good stuff.

My young buck days are decades in the past but the knife and kit spends took a mid-forties divorce to kill.

These days the main limiting factor after diminished funds is that I have so many I've lost the urge. Sated or close to it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
demotivational-posters-in-soviet-russia1.jpg
Pepper_spray_Hippie_Demoties_Demotivational-Posters.jpg

demotivational-poster-30856.jpg

So did you enjoy Serenity last night. He did say he regretted killing off Wash, just in case they ever manage to do another one. Dis you ever see Dark Angel? Haven't scene it in yonks, Bob's gonna pop it on a drive for me next time I see him.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
demotivational-posters-in-soviet-russia1.jpg
Pepper_spray_Hippie_Demoties_Demotivational-Posters.jpg

demotivational-poster-30856.jpg

So did you enjoy Serenity last night. He did say he regretted killing off Wash, just in case they ever manage to do another one. Dis you ever see Dark Angel? Haven't scene it in yonks, Bob's gonna pop it on a drive for me next time I see him.

Didn't see it last night but I have it in DVD along with the Firefly series. All superb stuff. Such a shame it was so savagely truncated.

I haven't seen Dark Angel for years. From memory it was worth watching. Another one cut short if I recall correctly.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Didn't see it last night but I have it in DVD along with the Firefly series. All superb stuff. Such a shame it was so savagely truncated.

I haven't seen Dark Angel for years. From memory it was worth watching. Another one cut short if I recall correctly.

Only two seasons if I remember correctly. Was good and really launched Jessica Alba and Michael Weatherly I suppose. Looking forward to that. A blast from 12 years ago.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Only two seasons if I remember correctly. Was good and really launched Jessica Alba and Michael Weatherly I suppose. Looking forward to that. A blast from 12 years ago.

That sounds right. U.S tv companies seem to have a knack for cutting short good series. It can be incredibly frustrating. Firefly is an obvious example.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Banana Boat Song Day!

Biker, on this day in 1955 - Harry Belafonte records "Day-O" (Banana Boat Song).
"Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)" is a traditional Jamaican mento folk song, the best-known version of which was sung by Harry Belafonte and an alternate version interspersed with another Jamaican folk song, "Hill and Gully Rider", by The Tarriers—later covered by Dame Shirley Bassey. Despite the song's mento influences, "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)" is widely known as an example of calypso music. It is a work song, from the point of view of dock workers working the night shift loading bananas onto ships. Daylight has come, the shift is over and they want their work to be counted up so that they can go home.
The song was originally a Jamaican folk song. Its popular version was adapted by Barbadian Irving Burgie. It was thought to be sung by Jamaican banana workers, with a repeated melody and refrain (call and response); with each set lyric there would be a response from the workers but using many different sets of lyrics, some possibly improvised on the spot. The first recorded version was done by Trinidadian singer Edric Connor and his band "Edric Connor and the Caribbean's" in 1952, on the album Songs From Jamaica; the song was called "Day Dah Light". Belafonte based his version on Edric Connor's 1952 and Louise Bennett's 1954 recordings.
In 1955, singer/songwriters Irving Burgie and William Attaway wrote a version of the lyrics for the Colgate Comedy Hour in which the song was performed by Harry Belafonte. This is the version that is by far the best known to listeners today, as it reached number five on the Billboard charts in 1957 and later became Belafonte's signature song. Side two of Belafonte's 1956 Calypso album opens with "Star O", a song referring to the day shift ending with the first star seen in the sky. Also in 1956, folk singer Bob Gibson, who had travelled to Jamaica and heard the song, taught his version of it to the folk band The Tarriers. They recorded a version of that song that mixed in the chorus of another Jamaican folk song, "Hill and Gully Rider", and released it, spawning what became their biggest hit. It outdid Belafonte's original on the pop charts, reaching number four. This version was re-recorded by Shirley Bassey in 1957, and became a hit in the United Kingdom. The Tarriers, or some subset of the three members of the group (Erik Darling, Bob Carey and Alan Arkin) are sometimes credited as the writers of the song, perhaps because their version of the song, which mixed in another song, was an original creation.
[video=youtube;6Tou8-Cz8is]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tou8-Cz8is[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That sounds right. U.S tv companies seem to have a knack for cutting short good series. It can be incredibly frustrating. Firefly is an obvious example.

Some good shows like NCIS and Elementary get through though they persist in awful shows like NCIS LA, woth the wooden plank brothers in the lead roles going through the gamut of their whole emotional range of A to B.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
NCIS? No TV for a fair bit now so I have gaping holes in my knowledge of recent TV shows.

No TV was merely a blessing in the UK. In Spain it saves sanity.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No TV here either, but NCIS is very good, (Naval Criminal Investigative Service). It's also seemingly the most watched show in the US now going into it's 11 season. Well worth watching if you get a chance. WIKI-LINK

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Todays facts: -

• See the rings of Saturn while you can. They slowly wobble up and down over the years as Saturns poles point away from then towards the sun. The rings disappear when edge on to our line of sight. Currently they are almost at their widest point and can be seen even in binoculars and small telescopes.
  • On a clear night, the human eye can see between 2,000 and 3,000 stars in the sky.
  • Water is the only substance on earth that is lighter as a solid than a liquid. This is just as well as other wise the sea could freeze solid and we'd all be in trouble.
  • On average, every kilogram (2.2lb) of seawater contains around 35 grams (1.2 oz) of dissolved salt.
  • Almost two-thirds of the earths surface is covered by water. If the earth were flat, water would cover everything in a layer two miles deep!
  • Australia is the only continent on earth without an active volcano.
  • The Great Pyramid of Cheops in Egypt, built about 2600 BC, was constructed with enough stone to make a brick wall that could go around the world 20 inches high.
  • In comparison, the largest modern building, the Pentagon, in Washington DC would only make a brick wall that went around the world two inches high.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mainly for your neck if I recall Uncle. Can you go swimming with this one or do you still sink like a stone. We'll have to get that Heath Robinson involved to see what he could do!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE