Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well everybody taking food this morning.
think maybe time for brekie:lmao:or more like brunch.
Hey GB did you get the message about food for next week?
Bob

If it's the one I said had me slavering already yes. Be good to get a Cobb on the go again for that garlic chicken and have been brushing up on bannock recipies:p.

Forgot to do a movie quote today, so here goes: -

"I'll kill you with my teacup!"

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Actuality was referring to the pm I didn't send this morning DOH which I would resend in a moment.
as far as the movie quote is it not the second riddoch movie when he is in the jail?
If it's the one I said had me slavering already yes. Be good to get a Cobb on the go again for that garlic chicken and have been brushing up on bannock recipies:p.

Forgot to do a movie quote today, so here goes: -

"I'll kill you with my teacup!"

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Actuality was referring to the pm I didn't send this morning DOH which I would resend in a moment.
as far as the movie quote is it not the second riddoch movie when he is in the jail?

Correctomundo Mr Bob. I can see I'll have to start quoting films you haven't supplied me with. :) Got the PM & replied.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker, Happy Sam Spade Day!

On a dirty rainy night in 1946 - "Adventures of Sam Spade" debuts on CBS Radio.
The Adventures of Sam Spade was a radio series based loosely on the private detective character Sam Spade, created by writer Dashiell Hammett for The Maltese Falcon. The show ran for 13 episodes on ABC in 1946, for 157 episodes on CBS in 1946-1949, and finally for 51 episodes on NBC in 1949-1951. The series starred Howard Duff (and later, Steve Dunne) as Sam Spade and Lurene Tuttle as his secretary Effie, and took a considerably more tongue-in-cheek approach to the character than the novel or movie. The series was largely overseen by producer/director William Spier. In 1947, scriptwriters Jason James and Bob Tallman received an Edgar Award for Best Radio Drama from the Mystery Writers of America.
Before the series, Sam Spade had been played in radio adaptations of The Maltese Falcon by both Edward G. Robinson (in a 1943 Lux Radio Theatre production) and by Bogart himself (in a 1946 Academy Award Theatre production), both on CBS.
Dashiell Hammett's name was removed from the series in the late 1940s because he was being investigated for involvement with the Communist Party. Later, when Howard Duff's name appeared in the Red Channels book, he was not invited to play the role when the series made the switch to NBC in 1950.

Oh and anuder thing - In 1961 Broadcasting reported that Four Star Productions planned to film a Sam Spade television pilot with Peter Falk in the title role, but no such series ever arrived on TV. Luckily we got Columbo instead.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sunday (ˈsʌndeɪ/ or /ˈsʌndi/) is the day of the week between Saturday and Monday. For some Christians, Sunday is observed as a day for worship of God and rest, due to the belief that it is Lord's Day, the day of Christ's resurrection.

Sunday is a day of rest in most Western countries, part of 'the weekend'. In some Muslim countries, Sunday is a normal working day and Friday is the day of rest, Muslims also go to jummah prayer.

According to the Hebrew calendars and traditional Christian calendars, Sunday is the first day of the week. According to the International Organization for Standardization ISO 8601 Sunday is the seventh and last day of the week.

No century in the Gregorian calendar starts on a Sunday, whether its first year is '00 or '01.[1] The Jewish New Year never falls on a Sunday. (The rules of the Hebrew calendar are designed such that the first day of Rosh Hashanah will never occur on the first, fourth, or sixth day of the Jewish week; i.e., Sunday, Wednesday, or Friday).
The English noun Sunday derived sometime before 1250 from sunedai, which itself developed from Old English (before 700) Sunnandæg (literally meaning "sun's day"), which is cognate to other Germanic languages, including Old Frisian sunnandei, Old Saxon sunnundag, Middle Dutch sonnendach (modern Dutch zondag), Old High German sunnun tag (modern German Sonntag), and Old Norse sunnudagr (Danish and Norwegian søndag, Icelandic sunnudagur and Swedish söndag). The Germanic term is a Germanic interpretation of Latin dies solis ("day of the sun"), which is a translation of the Ancient Greek heméra helíou.[2] The p-Celtic Welsh language also translates the Latin "day of the sun" as dydd Sul.

In most Indian languages, the word for Sunday is Ravi-vāsara or Aditya-vāsara or its derived forms — vāsara meaning day, Aditya and Ravi both being a style (manner of address) for Surya, the chief solar deity and one of the Adityas. Ravi-vāsara is first day cited in Nakshtra Jyotish, which provides logical reason for giving the name of each week day. In the Thai solar calendar of Thailand, the name ("Waan Arthit") is derived from Aditya, and the associated color is red.

In Russian the word for Sunday is Воскресенье (Voskreseniye) means "Resurrection".[3] In other Slavic languages the word means "no work", for example Polish: Niedziela, Ukrainian: Недiля, Belorussian: Нядзеля, Croatian: Nedjelja, Serbian and Slovenian: Nedelja, Czech: Neděle,Bulgarian: Неделя.

The Modern Greek word for Sunday, Κυριακή, derives from Κύριος (Lord) also, due to its liturgical significance as the day commemorating the resurrection of Jesus Christ, i.e.The Lord's Day.

View attachment 23120 View attachment 23121

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Have just downloaded "Existence", "The Postman" and a couple of short stories by David Brin, on to my Kindle. I'm looking forward to reading them. Apparently Existence is his first novel in ten years.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Is it the same book as the Kevin Costner movie?

Yes :(
Please don't judge the book by the film. The film is dreadful but the book is wonderful.

The film looses most of the plot and most of the best characters both good and bad. I particularly missed the Squire of Sugarloaf mountain.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yes :(
Please don't judge the book by the film. The film is dreadful but the book is wonderful.

The film looses most of the plot and most of the best characters both good and bad. I particularly missed the Squire of Sugarloaf mountain.

Thank goodness for that Huon. I thought the film was abysmal.

Been enjoying the days of the week Colin, knew some of the stuff but always like learning more.

Cheers Colin. I thought it might be a bit of fun to look at something we take for granted on a daily basis. We all know about the Nordic and Roman day names, but the Slavic, middle eastern and Indian roots throw up some gems.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thank goodness for that Huon. I thought the film was abysmal.

Cheers Colin. I thought it might be a bit of fun to look at something we take for granted on a daily basis. We all know about the Nordic and Roman day names, but the Slavic, middle eastern and Indian roots throw up some gems.

Aye it was the later ones that were mostly new on me. Who says learning isn't fun.

Over the last 150 years the average height of people in industrialised nations has increased 10 cm (about 4 inches). In the 19th century, American men were the tallest in the world, averaging 1,71m (5'6"). Today, the average height for American men is 1,75m (5'7"), compared to 1,77 (5'8") for Swedes, and 1,78 (5'8.5") for the Dutch. The tallest nation in the world is the Watusis of Burundi.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Aye it was the later ones that were mostly new on me. Who says learning isn't fun.

Over the last 150 years the average height of people in industrialised nations has increased 10 cm (about 4 inches). In the 19th century, American men were the tallest in the world, averaging 1,71m (5'6"). Today, the average height for American men is 1,75m (5'7"), compared to 1,77 (5'8") for Swedes, and 1,78 (5'8.5") for the Dutch. The tallest nation in the world is the Watusis of Burundi.

Haha, that's me then, Mr averagage 5'9".

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

Midgets :)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yep, Time Enough for Love has got to in my top 3 books list. It had me laughing and I'm not ashamed to admit it, cry too. Powerful book.

+1 on Haldeman's Forever War.

I too was disappointed in Starship Troopers. I was hoping for so much more with it, still I enjoyed it but not as much as hoped. The boot camp scenes were laughable IMO. However it had the most epic space battle I'd seen up till then though, the FX really gave those starships size and mass. Little details like that really impress me.

Going back a few pages, I too was disappointed in the movie version of Star ship troopers. On the other hand I watched the animated "Roughnecks, the Starship trooper chronicles". Very impressive graphics, really good characters and almost totally true to the book. Although animated, the characters knocked spots of the actors in the movie. unfortunately Sony pulled the finance before the last few episodes were finished. The series takes you from Johnny Rico's school days and indoctrination into the "Roughnecks" to the Bug attack on Hawaii. With all the battles in between. If you enjoyed the book, I don't think you will be disappointed in this.

[video=youtube;pcfpzfPdx-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfpzfPdx-U[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE