Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How did I miss Robinson Crusoe day?!!!! Oh and thanks for the lovely pin-up version of it. Saved that to file (naturally).

For some reason I am finding the information about the days of the week hard to absorb. Maybe I'm just getting old but after the first few sentences the information starts bouncing off the front of my head. But thank you for your efforts Colin, or is it the clone I should be thanking?

Slashing down with rain over here in Normandy, so I'm tucked in my attic enjoying the prospect of watching a DVD in a few moments.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
How did I miss Robinson Crusoe day?!!!! Oh and thanks for the lovely pin-up version of it. Saved that to file (naturally).

For some reason I am finding the information about the days of the week hard to absorb. Maybe I'm just getting old but after the first few sentences the information starts bouncing off the front of my head. But thank you for your efforts Colin, or is it the clone I should be thanking?

Slashing down with rain over here in Normandy, so I'm tucked in my attic enjoying the prospect of watching a DVD in a few moments.

Head full then? I dunno, you try and try!! :lmao: I expect the rain you're getting now, will be here tomorrow. Enjoy your DVD.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Wednesday.
(ˈwɛdənzdeɪ/, Listeni/ˈwɛnzdeɪ/[1] or /ˈwɛnzdi/[2]) is the day of the week between Tuesday and Thursday. According to international standard ISO 8601 adopted in most western countries it is the third day of the week. In countries that use the Sunday-first convention Wednesday is defined as the fourth day of the week. It is the fourth day of the week in the Judeo-Christian calendar as well, and was defined so in the ancient Mesopotamian and biblical calendars. The name is derived from Old English Wōdnesdæg and Middle English Wednesdei, "day of Wodanaz", ultimately a calque of dies Mercurii "day of Mercury".

The name Wednesday continues Middle English Wednesdei. Old English still had wōdnesdæg, which would be continued as *Wodnesday (but Old Frisian has an attested wednesdei). By the early 13th century, the i-mutated form was introduced unetymologically.

The name is a calque of the Latin dies Mercurii "day of Mercury", reflecting the fact that the Germanic god Woden (Wodanaz or Odin) during the Roman era was interpreted as "Germanic Mercury".

The Latin name dates to the late 2nd or early 3rd century. It is a calque of Greek ἡμέρα Ἕρμου heméra Hérmou, a term first attested, together with the system of naming the seven weekdays after the seven classical planets, in the Anthologiarum by Vettius Valens (ca. AD 170).

The Latin name is reflected directly in the weekday name in Romance languages: Mércuris (Sardinian), mercredi (French), mercoledì (Italian), miércoles (Spanish), miercuri (Romanian), dimecres (Catalan), Marcuri or Mercuri (Corsican), dies Mercurii (Latin). The German name for the day, Mittwoch (literally: "mid-week"), replaced the former name Wodanstag ("Wodan's day") in the tenth century. Most Slavic languages follow this pattern and use derivations of "the middle" (Bulgarian сряда sryada, Croatian srijeda, Czech středa, Macedonian среда sreda, Polish środa, Russian среда sredá, Serbian среда/sreda or cриједа/srijeda, Slovak streda, Slovene sreda, Ukrainian середа sereda). The Finnish name is Keskiviikko ("middle of the week"), as is the Icelandic name: Miðvikudagur, and the Faroese name: Mikudagur ("Mid-week day"). Some dialects of Faroese have Ónsdagur, though, which shares etymology with Wednesday. Danish, Norwegian, Swedish Onsdag, ("Ons-dag" = Odens/Odins dag/day). In Welsh it is Dydd Mercher, meaning Mercury's Day.

In Japanese, the word Wednesday is 水曜日(sui youbi), meaning 'water day' and is associated with 水星 (suisei): Mercury (the planet), literally meaning "water star". Similarly, in Korean the word Wednesday is 수요일 (su yo il), also meaning water day.

In most of the languages of India, the word for Wednesday is Budhavãra—vãra meaning day and Budh being the planet Mercury.

From Armenian (Չորեքշաբթի—chorekshabti), Georgian (ოთხშაბათი—othshabati), and Tajik (Chorshanbiyev) languages the word literally means as "four (days) from Saturday".

Portuguese uses the word quarta-feira, meaning "fourth day", while in Greek the word is Tetarti (Τετάρτη) meaning simply "fourth". Similarly, Arabic أربعاء means "fourth", Hebrew רביעי means "fourth", and Persian چهارشنبه means "fourth day". Yet the name for the day in Estonian is kolmapäev meaning "third day", in Lithuanian trečiadienis, and in Mandarin Chinese 星期三 (xīngqīsān), meaning "day three", as Sunday is unnumbered.

View attachment 23196 View attachment 23198

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Battle of Largs Day!
Battle_of_Largs_by_William_Hole.png

Biker, on this day in 1263 - The battle of Largs fought between Norwegians and Scots took place.
The Battle of Largs (2 October 1263) was an indecisive engagement between the kingdoms of Norway and Scotland near Largs, Scotland. The conflict formed part of the Norwegian expedition against Scotland in 1263, in which Hakon Hakonarson, King of Norway attempted to reassert Norwegian sovereignty over the western seaboard of Scotland. Since the beginning of the 12th century this region had lain within the Norwegian realm, ruled by magnates who recognised the overlordship of the Kings of Norway. However, in the mid-13th century, two Scottish kings, Alexander II and his son Alexander III, attempted to incorporate the region into their own realm. Following failed attempts to purchase the islands from the Norwegian king, the Scots launched military operations. Hakon responded to the Scottish aggression by leading a massive fleet from Norway, which reached the Hebrides in the summer of 1263. By the end of September, Hakon's fleet occupied the Firth of Clyde, and when negotiations between the kingdoms broke down, he brought the bulk of his fleet to anchor off The Cumbraes.
On the night of 30 September, during a bout of particularly stormy weather, several Norwegian vessels were driven aground on the Ayrshire coast, near the present-day town of Largs. On 2 October, while the Norwegians were salvaging their vessels, the main Scottish army arrived on the scene. Composed of infantry and cavalry, the Scottish force was commanded by Alexander of Dundonald, Steward of Scotland. The Norwegians were gathered in two groups: the larger main force on the beach and a small contingent atop a nearby mound. The advance of the Scots threatened to divide the Norwegian forces, so the contingent upon the mound ran to re-join their comrades on the beach below. Seeing them running from the mound, the Norwegians on the beach believed they were retreating, and fled back towards the ships. Fierce fighting took place on the beach, and the Scots took up a position on the mound formerly held by the Norwegians. Late in the day, after several hours of skirmishing, the Norwegians were able to recapture the mound. The Scots withdrew from the scene and the Norwegians were able to reboard their ships. They returned the next morning to collect their dead.
The weather was deteriorating, and Hakon's demoralised forces turned for home. Hakon's campaign had failed to maintain Norwegian overlordship of the seaboard, and his native magnates, left to fend for themselves, were soon forced to submit to the Scots. Three years after the battle, with the conclusion of the Treaty of Perth, Magnus Hakonarson, King of Norway ceded Scotland's western seaboard to Alexander III, and thus the centuries-old territorial dispute between the consolidating kingdoms was at last settled.
Although the Battle of Largs was apparently not considered a significant event by contemporaries, later partisan historians transformed it into an event of international importance. Today, most scholars no longer subscribe to such a view, and instead accord it just an important place in the failed Norwegian campaign.
The battle is commemorated in Largs in the form of an early 20th-century monument and the festivities which have been held there annually since the 1980s.

According to a legend, an invading Norse army was attempting to sneak up at night upon a Scottish army's encampment. During this operation one barefoot Norseman had the misfortune to step upon a thistle, causing him to cry out in pain, thus alerting Scots to the presence of the Norse invaders. Some sources suggest the specific occasion was the Battle of Largs.

Todays quote is from?
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow, 44 pages of info and tosh. But enjoyable tosh.:eek:

Fiendish Quiz. No Googling now:nono:

Two to start you today: -
1) William Shakespeare gave his only son a name that was only one letter removed from the title of one of his plays. What was it?
2) Queen’s song Bohemian Rhapsody didn’t contain the words of the title in its lyrics. However, it DID contain the title of the song that knocked it off the top of the British charts. What was that song?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wow, 44 pages of info and tosh. But enjoyable tosh.:eek:

Fiendish Quiz. No Googling now:nono:

Two to start you today: -
1) William Shakespeare gave his only son a name that was only one letter removed from the title of one of his plays. What was it?
2) Queen’s song Bohemian Rhapsody didn’t contain the words of the title in its lyrics. However, it DID contain the title of the song that knocked it off the top of the British charts. What was that song?

Ahh but it's fun tosh and I for one appreciate it. Thanks boys (and Aunt Sally, where is she anyway? :confused:)

No idea what the answers are to those two questions. Didn't know Shakespeare had a son, so that means I learnt something already. :D

The lamentations quote was obviously Conan, got that straight away. Very happy about that in fact. Right got some drawing to get on with some I'm outta here (like the Norwegians in West Scotland). Happy Battle of Largs day to you too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE