Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Going back a few pages, I too was disappointed in the movie version of Star ship troopers. On the other hand I watched the animated "Roughnecks, the Starship trooper chronicles". Very impressive graphics, really good characters and almost totally true to the book. Although animated, the characters knocked spots of the actors in the movie. unfortunately Sony pulled the finance before the last few episodes were finished. The series takes you from Johnny Rico's school days and indoctrination into the "Roughnecks" to the Bug attack on Hawaii. With all the battles in between. If you enjoyed the book, I don't think you will be disappointed in this.

[video=youtube;pcfpzfPdx-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfpzfPdx-U[/video]

Roughnecks looks good. I'll take a look for that.

As for Starship Troopers, the film was so far removed from the book that it could have been a different story. Such a shame as the book could have made a really good film.

+1 on the Aliens fight. Great stuff!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Going back a few pages, I too was disappointed in the movie version of Star ship troopers. On the other hand I watched the animated "Roughnecks, the Starship trooper chronicles". Very impressive graphics, really good characters and almost totally true to the book. Although animated, the characters knocked spots of the actors in the movie. unfortunately Sony pulled the finance before the last few episodes were finished. The series takes you from Johnny Rico's school days and indoctrination into the "Roughnecks" to the Bug attack on Hawaii. With all the battles in between. If you enjoyed the book, I don't think you will be disappointed in this.

Thanks Son, just bought Vol 1 on eBay for £2 so I'm looking forward to a shoot 'em up fest once I collect it in December from the UK.

Power Armour is just a great concept for a story and StarShip troopers and Forever War delivered on both counts soooo well. James P Hogan also wrote a series of short stories under the catch all title of Manifest Destiny. The film Enemy Mine was based on the main story of this collection, but the last is a really gritty account of a solider going through boot camp and then onto a campaign, not gory just poignant. If you can lay your hands on a copy of that you won't be disappointed either.

I got your PM with the email address about the Heinlein books. I'll send them over in dribs and drabs during the week OK? There are 131 books, so PM me a list of what you'd like first.

I've read Brin's Postman and it was rather good, but I really did like the film too, even with the whopping great holes in the plot you could park a bus in. I haven't read any of his other works though.

Right back to work on the house some more.

Ta ta kids, and play nicely.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Thanks Son, just bought Vol 1 on eBay for £2 so I'm looking forward to a shoot 'em up fest once I collect it in December from the UK.

Power Armour is just a great concept for a story and StarShip troopers and Forever War delivered on both counts soooo well. James P Hogan also wrote a series of short stories under the catch all title of Manifest Destiny. The film Enemy Mine was based on the main story of this collection, but the last is a really gritty account of a solider going through boot camp and then onto a campaign, not gory just poignant. If you can lay your hands on a copy of that you won't be disappointed either.

I got your PM with the email address about the Heinlein books. I'll send them over in dribs and drabs during the week OK? There are 131 books, so PM me a list of what you'd like first.

I've read Brin's Postman and it was rather good, but I really did like the film too, even with the whopping great holes in the plot you could park a bus in. I haven't read any of his other works though.

Right back to work on the house some more.

Ta ta kids, and play nicely.

I'm sorry dad but I have to say this.

I can forgive you the time I spent in the basement. I can forget the interesting times strapped to your workbench while you tested new powertools. I can even forgive you for that time with the hydrangeas and a bucket of hamsters. Well maybe not the last one.

However, liking film versions of both Starship Troopers and The Postman puts you beyond the pale :(

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'm sorry dad but I have to say this.

I can forgive you the time I spent in the basement. I can forget the interesting times strapped to your workbench while you tested new powertools. I can even forgive you for that time with the hydrangeas and a bucket of hamsters. Well maybe not the last one.

However, liking film versions of both Starship Troopers and The Postman puts you beyond the pale :(

Taste, you either have it, or you don't!

[video=youtube;xwCYBJe0o2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwCYBJe0o2M[/video]

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You know the more I inhabit this thread, the more I think maybe Ridley Scott is right. There are Engineers.

[video=youtube;ZLgw0jeu_-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLgw0jeu_-c[/video] Is this you,:lmao:

Nope - I have more hair :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Taste, you either have it, or you don't!

[video=youtube;xwCYBJe0o2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwCYBJe0o2M[/video]

You are right of course but I'm not sure that Dean Martin wearing a tan suit, pink shirt, red tie and black hat is a good man to plead the case.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You are right of course but I'm not sure that Dean Martin wearing a tan suit, pink shirt, red tie and black hat is a good man to plead the case.

But he does, with style. :) I've been house bound all day, and I'm so bored. Twisted my ankle yesterday, while laying the last few bricks to the base of the new mancave. Can't do anything today, so bored. Sorry don't mean to feel sorry for myself.:aargh4

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
But he does, with style. :) I've been house bound all day, and I'm so bored. Twisted my ankle yesterday, while laying the last few bricks to the base of the new mancave. Can't do anything today, so bored. Sorry don't mean to feel sorry for myself.:aargh4

Alcohol alleviates all ailments! Read some David Brin and have a beer :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Ah Huon as my late unadopted Pa used to say to me "Fashion you can buy but style you're born with." Personally think Mr Martin looks rather dapper but I will say "Brown! in town. No." That's only acceptable on a Friday when one is off to the country for the weekend. And the occasional market day.

Uncle Kelly, dear oh my - I agree, liberal applications of alcohol should be administered regularly.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Till we meet on the morrow,

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.

or

On the morrow the horizon was covered with clouds- a thick and impenetrable curtain between earth and sky, which unhappily extended as far as the Rocky Mountains. It was a fatality!
Jules Verne

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I like the Jules Verne Quote.
Monday.
(ˈmʌndeɪ/ or /ˈmʌndi/) is the day of the week between Sunday and Tuesday. According to the traditional Christian, Islamic and Hebrew calendars, it is the second day of the week. But according to international standard ISO 8601 it is the first day of the week. The name of Monday is derived from Old English Mōnandæg and Middle English Monenday, which means "moon day".
The English noun Monday derived sometime before 1200 from monedæi, which itself developed from Old English (around 1000) mōnandæg and mōndæg (literally meaning "moon's day"), which is cognate to other Germanic languages, including Old Frisian mōnadeig, Middle Low German and Middle Dutch mānendach (modern Dutch Maandag), Old High German mānetag (modern German Montag), and Old Norse mánadagr (Swedish and Norwegian nynorsk måndag, Icelandic mánudagur. Danish and Norwegian bokmål mandag). The Germanic term is a Germanic interpretation of Latin lunae dies ("day of the moon").[1]

In many Slavic languages the name of the day eschews pagan tradition and translates as "after Sunday/holiday". Russian понедельник (ponyedyelnik), Serbian понедељак (ponedeljak), Ukrainian понеділок (ponedilok), Bulgarian понеделник (ponedelnik), Polish poniedziałek, Czech pondělí, Slovak pondelok, Slovenian ponedeljek. In Turkish it is called pazartesi, which means the day after Sunday. Japanese and Korean share the same ancient Chinese words '月曜日' (Hiragana:げつようび, Hangul:월요일) for Monday which means day of the moon.

In many Languages of India, the word for Monday is derived from Sanskrit Somavāra.[2] Soma is another name of the Moon god in Hinduism. In some languages of India it is also called Chandravāra, Chandra in Sanskrit means moon. In Thailand the day is called "Wan Jan" meaning, the day of the Moon god Chandra".

View attachment 23138

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Robinson Crusoe Day!

(An early Bushcraft Betty with friend)
Biker, on this day (according to Daniel Defoe) in 1659 - Robinson Crusoe (Bushcrafter Extraordinaire)is shipwrecked.
Robinson Crusoe is a novel by Daniel Defoe, first published on 25 April 1719. This first edition credited the work's fictional protagonist Robinson Crusoe as its author, leading many readers to believe he was a real person and the book a travelogue of true incidents, and was published under the considerably longer original title The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. Epistolary, confessional, and didactic in form, the book is a fictional autobiography of the title character (whose birth name is Robinson Kreutznaer)—a castaway who spends years on a remote tropical island near Trinidad, encountering cannibals, captives, and mutineers before being rescued.
The story is widely perceived to have been influenced by the life of Alexander Selkirk, a Scottish castaway who lived for four years on the Pacific island called "Más a Tierra" (in 1966 its name was changed to Robinson Crusoe Island), Chile. However, other possible sources have been put forward for the text. It is possible, for example, that Defoe was inspired by the Latin or English translations of Ibn Tufail's Hayy ibn Yaqdhan, an earlier novel also set on a desert island. Another source for Defoe's novel may have been Robert Knox's account of his abduction by the King of Ceylon in 1659 in "An Historical Account of the Island Ceylon," Glasgow: James MacLehose and Sons (Publishers to the University), 1911. In his 2003 Book "In Search of Robinson Crusoe", Tim Severin contends that the account of Henry Pitman in a short book chronicling his escape from a Caribbean penal colony and subsequent shipwrecking and desert island misadventures, is the inspiration for the story.
Despite its simple narrative style, Robinson Crusoe was well received in the literary world and is often credited as marking the beginning of realistic fiction as a literary genre. Before the end of 1719 the book had already run through four editions, and it has gone on to become one of the most widely published books in history, spawning numerous sequels and adaptations for stage, film, and television.

Todays quote is an easy one, so no cheatin' and see who's first.

“To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!”

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Biker! Happy Robinson Crusoe Day!

(An early Bushcraft Betty with friend)
Biker, on this day (according to Daniel Defoe) in 1659 - Robinson Crusoe (Bushcrafter Extraordinaire)is shipwrecked.
Robinson Crusoe is a novel by Daniel Defoe, first published on 25 April 1719. This first edition credited the work's fictional protagonist Robinson Crusoe as its author, leading many readers to believe he was a real person and the book a travelogue of true incidents, and was published under the considerably longer original title The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. Epistolary, confessional, and didactic in form, the book is a fictional autobiography of the title character (whose birth name is Robinson Kreutznaer)—a castaway who spends years on a remote tropical island near Trinidad, encountering cannibals, captives, and mutineers before being rescued.
The story is widely perceived to have been influenced by the life of Alexander Selkirk, a Scottish castaway who lived for four years on the Pacific island called "Más a Tierra" (in 1966 its name was changed to Robinson Crusoe Island), Chile. However, other possible sources have been put forward for the text. It is possible, for example, that Defoe was inspired by the Latin or English translations of Ibn Tufail's Hayy ibn Yaqdhan, an earlier novel also set on a desert island. Another source for Defoe's novel may have been Robert Knox's account of his abduction by the King of Ceylon in 1659 in "An Historical Account of the Island Ceylon," Glasgow: James MacLehose and Sons (Publishers to the University), 1911. In his 2003 Book "In Search of Robinson Crusoe", Tim Severin contends that the account of Henry Pitman in a short book chronicling his escape from a Caribbean penal colony and subsequent shipwrecking and desert island misadventures, is the inspiration for the story.
Despite its simple narrative style, Robinson Crusoe was well received in the literary world and is often credited as marking the beginning of realistic fiction as a literary genre. Before the end of 1719 the book had already run through four editions, and it has gone on to become one of the most widely published books in history, spawning numerous sequels and adaptations for stage, film, and television.

Todays quote is an easy one, so no cheatin' and see who's first.

“To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!”

Personally I think your last quote's a big Con.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Bearing in mind this thread, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113273

Tuesday.
(ˈtjuːzdeɪ/, /ˈtjuːzdi/, /ˈtuːzdeɪ/ or /ˈtuːzdi/) is a day of the week occurring after Monday and before Wednesday. According to some commonly used calendars (esp. in the US), it is the third day of the week, but according to international standard ISO 8601, it is the second day of the week. The English name is derived from Old English Tiwesdæg and Middle English Tewesday, meaning "Tīw's Day", the day of Tiw or Týr, the god of single combat, victory and heroic glory in Norse mythology. Tiw was equated with Mars in the interpretatio romana, and the name of the day is a translation of Latin dies Martis.
The name Tuesday derives from the Old English "Tiwesdæg" and literally means "Tiw's Day".[1] Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god *Tîwaz, or Týr in Norse, a god of war and law.[2][3] *Tîwaz derives from the Proto-Indo-European base *dei-, *deyā-, *dīdyā-, meaning 'to shine', whence comes also such words as "deity".[4]

The Latin name dies Martis ("day of Mars") is equivalent to the Greek ἡμέρα Ἄρεως. In most languages with Latin origins (Italian,[5] French,[6] Spanish,[7] Catalan,[8] Romanian,[9] Galician,[10] Sardinian,[11] Corsican,[12] but not Portuguese[13]), the day is named after Mars, the Roman god of war.

In some Slavic languages the word Tuesday originated from Old Church Slavonic word въторъ meaning "the second" (Serbian: уторак (utorak)). Bulgarian and Russian "Вторник" (Vtornik) is derived from the Bulgarian and Russian adjective for 'Second' - "Втори" (Vtori) or "Второй" (Vtoroi)

In Japanese, the word Tuesday is 火曜日(ka youbi), meaning 'fire day' and is associated with 火星 (kasei): Mars (the planet), literally meaning "fire star". Similarly, in Korean the word Tuesday is 화요일 (hwa yo il), also meaning fire day.

In the Indo-Aryan languages Pali and Sanskrit, as well as in Thailand, the name of the day is taken from Angaraka ('one who is red in colour')[14] a style (manner of address) for Mangal, the god of war, and for Mars, the red planet.

In the Nahuatl language, Tuesday is Huītzilōpōchtōnal (Nahuatl pronunciation: [wiːt͡siloːpoːt͡ʃˈtoːnaɬ]) meaning "day of Huitzilopochtli".
View attachment 23167 View attachment 23168

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE