Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yeah... but you missed the important thing in that the first Chevvie Corvette rolled off the production line in 1953 :)

GMInnovation-A9A_a.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
And today is the last day I shall be living in this rented house as I am moving out. Whoo hooo! Landmark days indeed!

I can see why that Corvette would kill more test pilots than planes. Seat belts weren't even an optional extra back then. Scary thought barreling down the highway at 80+mph and losing control for whatever reason. DId oyu notice the roll bar too? ... well perhaps you didn't, it's called the driver's head and neck. :yikes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And today is the last day I shall be living in this rented house as I am moving out. Whoo hooo! Landmark days indeed!

I can see why that Corvette would kill more test pilots than planes. Seat belts weren't even an optional extra back then. Scary thought barreling down the highway at 80+mph and losing control for whatever reason. DId oyu notice the roll bar too? ... well perhaps you didn't, it's called the driver's head and neck. :yikes:

And they call you Biker yes? (The man with the camouflaged bike)

Good luck with the move, hope it all goes smoothly. You both must be excited.

Biker

And they call you Biker yes? (The man with the camouflaged bike)

Good luck with the move, hope it all goes smoothly. You both must be excited.

Hmmm good point about the bike, but I rarely take it to 80+mph the poor thing would shake itself to pieces. Funnily enough though I've never really worried about coming off a bike, but the thought of being trapped in the wreckage of a car crash scares me a LOT more.

Yeah, the move has been going on this past week with trips to the new temporary rented place done mostly in my car, hauling stuff with 2 trips per day. And incidentally there's no "both of us" now. Alison and I separated last year, so it's just me. C'est la vie.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm good point about the bike, but I rarely take it to 80+mph the poor thing would shake itself to pieces. Funnily enough though I've never really worried about coming off a bike, but the thought of being trapped in the wreckage of a car crash scares me a LOT more.

Yeah, the move has been going on this past week with trips to the new temporary rented place done mostly in my car, hauling stuff with 2 trips per day. And incidentally there's no "both of us" now. Alison and I separated last year, so it's just me. C'est la vie.

Sorry Aaron didn't know that. Double move always a bit of a whammy but as long as it's just a short time you can live with only a little kit (Wine glass, corkscrew, cheese knife and a plate should do...:eek:) and leave the rest packed.

Actually true on the bike front - was told "just let go" don't try to stay with the bike, modern leathers and helmets are sooo good. Always amazed when you watch the racing and the guys just get up and toddle off. Remember a car hitting me from behind on a country road and the trench I created in the soft field where I tucked and rolled was pretty long. Was OK though. Though I was laughing with the biker who hit me last year, He asked the classic line while lying there "How's my bike?" He was OK in the end a tiny fracture in his spine, lucky boy. Yeah been hurt more in car smashes than bike ones.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
tour_de_france_old_passing_cigarette_smoke1279743847.jpg

Well Biker, on this day in 1200 those clever folks in China invented Sunglasses, forever allowing bikers to look cool. Then in 1903 on this day we had the start of the first Tour De France. So lets hear it for yellow jumpers and banned substances.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah been hurt more in car smashes than bike ones.
My accident stats
Injuries from crashing bikes - grazed palm
Injuries from car smashes (as passenger) - cracked sternum, concussion,
Injuries from car smashes (as driver) - none (yet)
Injuries from going on a long walk - dislocated knee leading to misaligned spine and all sorts of secondary issues
Injuries from Martial arts - loss of use of left side of face forever!
Injuries from street fights - busted knuckle, busted nose
Injuries from Bushcraft - minor blood-loss from carved fingers...
Injuries playing with children - depressed fracture of the skull
I have done almost as much time as a biker as I have as a car driver.
My safest option seems to be to drive myself to Meets - and avoid children and Dojos!

Reactions: Huon

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi everyone, Just a wee note to say they'll be a wee break in Biker's special days for about a week as I've to go into hospital for a wee unscheduled visit. (There's no internet access there that I know about.) Will be back on when I get out - hopefully!).

Take care.
GB.

Huon will have to wind him up while I'm in:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi everyone, Just a wee note to say they'll be a wee break in Biker's special days for about a week as I've to go into hospital for a wee unscheduled visit. (There's no internet access there that I know about.) Will be back on when I get out - hopefully!).

Take care.
GB.

Get well soon!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands

Take care.
GB.

Good luck at the hospital:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Take care.
GB.

I'm sure there's we can carry on and make sure Aaron doesn't feel negelected :)

More importantly though I hope everything is OK for you and wish you a speedy recovery :cool:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Take care.
GB.

Take care, and get well bloody quick mate.

Biker

Hope the circumcision goes well son, you'll be up and about in no time. I realise springing that procedure on you was a surprise but in my defense it was clearly written in the contract of adoption. Page 32, paragraph 4, subsection 11. :deal:.

Seriously though, hope whatever the treatment is goes well and you're back here amongst us soon. I can be patient on these commemoration dates. All the best son.

"Dad"

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Pfffft, another move? Poor you, I hope its somewhere you can put roots down this time, lovey!

Heyyyy Goatboy, good wishes for a speedy recovery... we'll miss you n bikers banter while you're offline :) Its a better quality of abuse on here and you guys really do it well!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Actually true on the bike front - was told "just let go" don't try to stay with the bike, modern leathers and helmets are sooo good. Always amazed when you watch the racing and the guys just get up and toddle off.

Modern racetracks have generous runnoff and gravel traps, leathers are good at protecting against abrasion and body armour will do a little to protect against blows but cack off at 70, slide into a wall/gate post/oncoming traffic and something will still get broken or end up dead.

You'll notice that on the roadracing like the TT there's someone killed pretty much every year. Thats cos there's no safe runnoff.

Biker

Pfffft, another move? Poor you, I hope its somewhere you can put roots down this time, lovey!

Heyyyy Goatboy, good wishes for a speedy recovery... we'll miss you n bikers banter while you're offline :) Its a better quality of abuse on here and you guys really do it well!

Nope, this is another temporary lodging, but one I am willing to endure. The one I left was costing me far too much on bills and rent. However for the roots thing you mentioned... I have plans afoot. :naughty:. More news about that at a later date. :tapedshut

Banter? What banter? It's all said in deadly seriousness dear lady.

Demographic. Very true comment, sad to say :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE