Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Stops the negative waves man.:240: I've lined my bush hat with it, now I only hear radio 4.

Oh you'll get the News Quiz then, always makes me chuckle.

Though unbelievably I see they've made Count Arthur Strong into a TV program! Can't believe it, it was such an unfunny radio program I cant understand why they threw more money at it to make it visual too.

Though I still mourn Charlotte Green's leaving, her honeyed velvet voice made even the bad news good.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Love the quiz shows, I have to admit I've never heard of Arthur Strong, and judging from what I've just read, it does'nt seem to be for me. You can still listen to Charlotte over on Classic FM.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Love the quiz shows, I have to admit I've never heard of Arthur Strong, and judging from what I've just read, it does'nt seem to be for me. You can still listen to Charlotte over on Classic FM.

Count Arthur Strong is truly terrible. I do like 6:30 pm on R4 a relief valve on the day. I do nip over to Classic FM sometimes, but not into listening to music much these days.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Did you know that on this day in 1794 Maximilien Robespierre was executed.

Robespierre was a French lawyer and politician who became one of the most influential figures of the French Revolution.

Maximilien Marie Isidore de Robespierre was born in Arras on 6 May 1758, the son of a lawyer. He was educated in Paris and entered the same profession as his father. He was elected a deputy of the estates-general (a form of parliament, but without real power) that met in May 1789, and subsequently served in the National Constituent Assembly.

Robespierre became increasingly popular for his attacks on the monarchy and his advocacy of democratic reforms. In April 1790, was elected president of the powerful Jacobin political club. After the downfall of the monarchy in August 1792, Robespierre was elected first deputy for Paris to the National Convention. The convention abolished the monarchy, declared France a republic and put the king on trial for treason, all measures strongly supported by Robespierre. The king was executed in January 1793.

In the period after the king's execution, tensions in the convention resulted in a power struggle between the Jacobins and the more moderate Girondins. The Jacobins used the power of the mob to take control and the Girondin leaders were arrested. Control of the country passed to the Committee of Public Safety, of which Robespierre was a member. He rapidly became the dominant force on the committee.

Against a backdrop of the threat of foreign invasion and increasing disorder in the country, the committee began the 'Reign of Terror', ruthlessly eliminating all those considered enemies of the revolution. These included leading revolutionary figures such as Georges Danton.

In May 1794, Robespierre insisted that the National Convention proclaim a new official religion for France - the cult of the Supreme Being. This was based on the thinking of the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau of whom Robespierre was a passionate advocate.

The intensification of the 'Reign of Terror' and Robespierre's autocracy made him increasingly unpopular. French military successes served to undermine the justification for such ruthlessness and a conspiracy was formed to overthrow Robespierre. On 27 July 1794, he was arrested after a struggle. The following day Robespierre, wounded from a bullet to the jaw, and 21 of his closest supporters were executed at the guillotine.

Funny how what goes around, comes around.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
From Respect The Beard, Funny it's one of the reasons I like the Stupidly Simple Midge Repellent. The smell on me reminds me of campfires.

On the beard front this wee video is worth a watch.

[video=youtube;zCfKJNK8hHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCfKJNK8hHk[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And that's why I'm desperate to get away It's been nearly two months since I last got out, what with one thing or another. I'm so looking forward to the moot.

This'll hopefully help to keep you going ;)

[video=youtube;OnFMQ2NAgyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFMQ2NAgyk[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And if that doesn't, turn out the lights, turn up the speakers and watch/fall asleep to this. (it'll still be going in the morning)

[video=youtube;uQqJVweHq6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQqJVweHq6M[/video]

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
29th JULY 2004

USA First Manned Flight Of SpaceShipOne Piloted By Michael W. Melvill

USA launched the SpaceShipOne spacecraft for a Captive test flight piloted by Michael W. Melvill. This flight 02c was the second flight of SpaceShipOne and was occupied during flight for first time.

SpaceShipOne was developed by Mojave Aerospace Ventures (a joint venture between Paul Allen and Scaled Composites, Burt Rutan’s aviation company, in their Tier One program), without government funding. On June 21, 2004, it made the first privately funded human spaceflight. On October 4, it won the $10 million Ansari X PRIZE, by reaching 100 kilometers in altitude twice in a two-week period with the equivalent of three people on board and with no more than ten percent of the non-fuel weight of the spacecraft replaced between flights. Development costs were estimated to be $25 million, funded completely by Paul Allen.

During its test program, SpaceShipOne set a number of important “firsts”, including first privately funded aircraft to exceed Mach 2 and Mach 3, first privately funded manned spacecraft to exceed 100km altitude, and first privately funded reusable manned spacecraft.

SpaceShipOne is an experimental air-launched rocket-powered aircraft with suborbital flight capability that uses a hybrid rocket motor. The design features a unique “feathering” atmospheric reentry system where the rear half of the wing and the twin tail booms folded upward along a hinge running the length of the wing; this increased drag while remaining stable. The achievements of SpaceShipOne are more comparable to the X-15 than orbiting spacecraft like the Space Shuttle. Accelerating a spacecraft to orbital speed requires more than 60 times as much energy as accelerating it to Mach 3.
images.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Morning boys, thanks for all the fun posts, as well as the more serious ones. Captain Chaos always made me smile. I need to watch Cannonball Run again and soon. Spent this last weekend working and back at the coal face again for the next two days but I am sooooo looking forward to chillin' in the woods next week. Booked my ferry ticket. P&O wanted £80 for an 11pm sailing from Calais. DFDS wanted £34 for an 8pm sailing from the same port. As soon as August rolls around it's a license to hike up the prices. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm on me way!! ... well I will be on Friday.

"Dad"

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Morning boys, thanks for all the fun posts, as well as the more serious ones. Captain Chaos always made me smile. I need to watch Cannonball Run again and soon. Spent this last weekend working and back at the coal face again for the next two days but I am sooooo looking forward to chillin' in the woods next week. Booked my ferry ticket. P&O wanted £80 for an 11pm sailing from Calais. DFDS wanted £34 for an 8pm sailing from the same port. As soon as August rolls around it's a license to hike up the prices. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm on me way!! ... well I will be on Friday.

"Dad"

Hey Aaron. Have you looked at Norfolk Lines. They sail from Dunkerque to Dover. I've used them in the past, and found them quite reasonable.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Aaron. Have you looked at Norfolk Lines. They sail from Dunkerque to Dover. I've used them in the past, and found them quite reasonable.

That's where I found the link to DFDS at the Norfolk line website, I think they sail under the Norfolk line name, or vice versa, and they also sail out of Calais. Result!. I've used the Dover-Dunkerque route a few times but not in a several years. If I didn't plan on seeing my family in Kent I'd go the more direct Caen-Portsmouth route but even that is very pricey this time of the year, so even with the extra fuel costs it often works out cheaper to go the long way round. Besides driving on French roads in a pleasure never a chore. Get a bit of Alan Parsons Project or Morcheeba on the stereo and the miles just slide by.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Biker, on this day in 1928 Steamboat Willie an animated short film directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks was released. It was produced in black-and-white by the Walt Disney Studios and released by Celebrity Productions. The cartoon is considered the debut of Mickey Mouse, and his girlfriend Minnie, but the characters had both appeared several months earlier in a test screening of Plane Crazy. Steamboat Willie was the third of Mickey's films to be produced, but was the first to be distributed.

Maybe also of interest is the fact that the first 1st motorcycle race was held on Manhattan Beach, NY in 1899.

Birthday wise this was preceded by one of the worst sticks in the bunch (fasces). 1883 - Benito Mussolini, [Il Duce], Forli Kingdom of Italy, Fascist Italian dictator (1922-43), (d. 1945)

Later on in 1953 - Geddy Lee, Toronto Canada, lead vocalist/bassist in Rush was born and they went on to produce that great album 2112.
[video=youtube;VIuxoYo45kY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIuxoYo45kY[/video]

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Also today in 1958, the birth of NASA.

After Congressional hearings during spring 1958, Congress passed the legislation and President Eisenhower signed the National Aeronautics and Space Act into law on July 29, 1958. Although it had generally been assumed that Hugh Dryden, the head of the NACA, would be appointed administrator, three weeks later, on Aug. 19, T. Keith Glennan – the President of Case Institute of Technology since 1947 and a former member of the Atomic Energy Commission – was sworn in at the White House as NASA's first Administrator, with Dryden as his Deputy Administrator. NASA formally opened for business on Oct. 1, 1958.

It is instructive to recall the objectives for NASA that emerged in section 102 of the final Space Act:

The expansion of human knowledge of phenomena in the atmosphere and space;
The improvement of the usefulness, performance, speed, safety, and efficiency of aeronautical and space vehicles;
The development and operation of vehicles capable of carrying instruments, equipment, supplies, and living organisms through space;
The establishment of long-range studies of the potential benefits to be gained from, the opportunities for, and the problems involved in the utilization of aeronautical and space activities for peaceful and scientific purposes;
The preservation of the role of the United States as a leader in aeronautical and space science and technology and in the application thereof to the conduct of peaceful activities within and outside the atmosphere;
The making available to agencies directly concerned with national defense of discoveries that have military value or significance, and the furnishing by such agencies, to the civilian agency established to direct and control nonmilitary aeronautical and space activities, of information as to discoveries which have value or significance to that agency;
Cooperation by the United States with other nations and groups of nations in work done pursuant to this Act and in the peaceful application of the results thereof;
The most effective utilization of the scientific and engineering resources of the United States, with close cooperation among all interested agencies of the United States in order to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort, facilities and equipment

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Also today in 1958, the birth of NASA.

After Congressional hearings during spring 1958, Congress passed the legislation and President Eisenhower signed the National Aeronautics and Space Act into law on July 29, 1958. Although it had generally been assumed that Hugh Dryden, the head of the NACA, would be appointed administrator, three weeks later, on Aug. 19, T. Keith Glennan – the President of Case Institute of Technology since 1947 and a former member of the Atomic Energy Commission – was sworn in at the White House as NASA's first Administrator, with Dryden as his Deputy Administrator. NASA formally opened for business on Oct. 1, 1958.

It is instructive to recall the objectives for NASA that emerged in section 102 of the final Space Act:

The expansion of human knowledge of phenomena in the atmosphere and space;
The improvement of the usefulness, performance, speed, safety, and efficiency of aeronautical and space vehicles;
The development and operation of vehicles capable of carrying instruments, equipment, supplies, and living organisms through space;
The establishment of long-range studies of the potential benefits to be gained from, the opportunities for, and the problems involved in the utilization of aeronautical and space activities for peaceful and scientific purposes;
The preservation of the role of the United States as a leader in aeronautical and space science and technology and in the application thereof to the conduct of peaceful activities within and outside the atmosphere;
The making available to agencies directly concerned with national defense of discoveries that have military value or significance, and the furnishing by such agencies, to the civilian agency established to direct and control nonmilitary aeronautical and space activities, of information as to discoveries which have value or significance to that agency;
Cooperation by the United States with other nations and groups of nations in work done pursuant to this Act and in the peaceful application of the results thereof;
The most effective utilization of the scientific and engineering resources of the United States, with close cooperation among all interested agencies of the United States in order to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort, facilities and equipment

Some nice ideas and sentiments there and I feel that NASA have tried to stick to it. If only more big organisations did the world would be a shinier place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE