Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Goodness that's a young Tom Berenger & Sidney Poitier. The Kurgen (Clancy Brown) was in that too.

This was also fun.

[video=youtube;DZgIdPSNMXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZgIdPSNMXw[/video]

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Now that looks interesting. I haven't read a a comic book in years. They can sometimes bring a story to life.
Ah well, talk to you tomorrow, off to a neighbour's party now, and they like to have a good time.
Colin.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You chaps have been busy back and forthing today.

Not sure if you'd call this a bushcrafty film or a lemon of a film starring Colin Farrel. On one hand I liked this a lot, on the other it was a bit self indulgent of the director who made it rather too arty for my tastes. As some of the comments on youtube have said it's certainly an under-rated film.

The New World with Colin Farrel released in 2005

[video=youtube;b-zMIgxbmnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-zMIgxbmnA[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
it has been busy today.

For desert survival there's always Ice Cold in Alex. Would've shot the barman though.

[video=youtube;qaJ5UBi4z2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJ5UBi4z2c[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Invincible_Armada.jpg

Happy Beating the Spanish Armada Day
On this day in 1588 England put paid to Spain's attempt to invade England with her invincible fleet.
The Spanish Armada (Spanish: Grande y Felicísima Armada or Armada Invencible, literally "Great and Most Fortunate Navy" or "Invincible Fleet") was the Spanish fleet that sailed against England under the command of the Duke of Medina Sidonia in 1588, with the intention of overthrowing Elizabeth I of England and putting an end to her involvement in the Spanish Netherlands and in privateering in the Atlantic and Pacific.
The Armada reached and anchored outside Gravelines, but, while awaiting communications from the Duke of Parma's army, it was driven out by an English fire ship attack. In the ensuing battle, the Spanish fleet was forced to abandon its rendezvous. The Armada managed to regroup and withdraw north, with the English fleet harrying it for some distance up the east coast of England. The commander decided that the fleet should return to Spain; it sailed around Scotland and Ireland, but severe storms disrupted it. More than 24 vessels were wrecked on the western coasts of Ireland. Of the fleet's initial 130 ships, about fifty never returned to Spain.
The expedition was the largest engagement of the undeclared Anglo–Spanish War (1585–1604). The following year England organised a similar large-scale campaign against Spain, the Drake-Norris Expedition, also known as the Counter Armada of 1589, which was unsuccessful.
Another piece of new evidence has indicated that another part of the success was partly due to England Cannons. Unlike the Spanish they were all of a like calibre so enabling rapid reloading due to ease of ammunition acquisition and also of a type that meant they could be loaded more quickly, so outgunning them. Also the English ships were smaller and lower in the water meaning that the Spanish guns fired over the English at close quarters while we holed them at the waterline. (The Spanish relied on boarding ships rather than our broadsides.)
Also Jean Picard celebrated his birthday, not the Captain of the Enterprise but the French astronomer born this day in 1620.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
More images

Alan Shepard
Aviator
Alan Bartlett Shepard, Jr. was an American naval aviator, test pilot, flag officer, NASA astronaut, and businessman, who in 1961 became the second person, and the first American, to travel into space. Wikipedia
Born: November 18, 1923, Derry, New Hampshire, United States
Died: July 21, 1998, Pebble Beach, California, United States
Space missions: Mercury-Redstone 3, Apollo 14
Space time: 9d 0h 57m
Spouse: Louise Brewer
First space flight: Mercury-Redstone 3

[video=youtube;R6VNV05CmmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6VNV05CmmM[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds quite a chap - though I suppose to get the job you have to be. You like the space race history though don't you?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sounds quite a chap - though I suppose to get the job you have to be. You like the space race history though don't you?

Been interested since I was a boy. Also very disappointed that there was no political will to follow up on the lunar landings, imagine what could have been achieved in the last forty years since Apollo 17. Nasa is now talking about a Mars mission, but the moon would have been an obvious first step, and a better launch site. Rant over.:)

Biker

Hey GB, I learned more in that brief summery of the Spanish armada than I ever did at school. It's funny how having an interest in it now compared to the brat I was in history classes aged 13 being force fed information changes the absorption rate.

Happy Spanish Armada butt kicking day then. Good ol' William the Conqueror really knew his stuff getting the UK fleet on the job like that. We owe a lot to him and 2nd in command Sir Francis Chitchester saving the UK like that, else we could be speaking Spanish nowadays. Hip hip Hoorah! :eek:

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
[h=2]Today was also the
The First Battle of Bull Run[/h]
In the first major land battle of the Civil War, a large Union force under General Irvin McDowell is routed by a Confederate army under General Pierre G.T. Beauregard.
Three months after the Civil War erupted at Fort Sumter, Union military command still believed that the Confederacy could be crushed quickly and with little loss of life. In July, this overconfidence led to a premature offensive into northern Virginia by General McDowell. Searching out the Confederate forces, McDowell led 34,000 troops--mostly inexperienced and poorly trained militiamen--toward the railroad junction of Manassas, located just 30 miles from Washington, D.C. Alerted to the Union advance, General Beauregard massed some 20,000 troops there and was soon joined by General Joseph Johnston, who brought some 9,000 more troops by railroad.
On the morning of July 21, hearing of the proximity of the two opposing forces, hundreds of civilians--men, women, and children--turned out to watch the first major battle of the Civil War. The fighting commenced with three Union divisions crossing the Bull Run stream, and the Confederate flank was driven back to Henry House Hill. However, at this strategic location, Beauregard had fashioned a strong defensive line anchored by a brigade of Virginia infantry under General Thomas J. Jackson. Firing from a concealed slope, Jackson's men repulsed a series of Federal charges, winning Jackson his famous nickname "Stonewall."
Meanwhile, Confederate cavalry under J.E.B. Stuart captured the Union artillery, and Beauregard ordered a counterattack on the exposed Union right flank. The rebels came charging down the hill, yelling furiously, and McDowell's line was broken, forcing his troops in a hasty retreat across Bull Run. The retreat soon became an unorganized flight, and supplies littered the road back to Washington. Union forces endured a loss of 3,000 men killed, wounded, or missing in action while the Confederates suffered 2,000 casualties. The scale of this bloodshed horrified not only the frightened spectators at Bull Run but also the U.S. government in Washington, which was faced with an uncertain military strategy in quelling the "Southern insurrection."
Bob

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sir Francis Chitchester saving the uk

With his fleet of Gypsy moths.:lmao:

Francis Chichester
Aviator
Sir Francis Charles Chichester KBE, aviator and sailor, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for becoming the first person to sail single-handed around the world by the clipper route, and the fastest ... Wikipedia
Born: September 17, 1901, Barnstaple
Died: August 26, 1972, Plymouth
Education: Marlborough College
Books: Gipsy Moth circles the world, The romantic challenge, Atlantic Adventure

Biker

With his fleet of Gypsy moths.:lmao:

Hmmmm I blame my history teacher for this misinformation, I was a know-it-all teenager at the time so I cannot be held accountable to any blame. :nono:

Obviously I meant Sir Walter Raleigh who was Bonny Prince William of Orange the Conqueror's 2nd in command of the English fleet. D'oh! Sorry. :eek:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey GB, I learned more in that brief summery of the Spanish armada than I ever did at school. It's funny how having an interest in it now compared to the brat I was in history classes aged 13 being force fed information changes the absorption rate.

Happy Spanish Armada butt kicking day then. Good ol' William the Conqueror really knew his stuff getting the UK fleet on the job like that. We owe a lot to him and 2nd in command Sir Francis Chitchester saving the UK like that, else we could be speaking Spanish nowadays. Hip hip Hoorah! :eek:

Learning Spannish could be a problem: -

[video=youtube;H-oH-TELcLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oH-TELcLE[/video]

William the Conqueror's fleet was quite a feat, did you know that as well as the men and horses he had two prefab wooden forts on board, one of which they put up straight away to protect the fleet? Must've had good chippies.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Today was also the
The First Battle of Bull Run

In the first major land battle of the Civil War, a large Union force under General Irvin McDowell is routed by a Confederate army under General Pierre G.T. Beauregard.
Three months after the Civil War erupted at Fort Sumter, Union military command still believed that the Confederacy could be crushed quickly and with little loss of life. In July, this overconfidence led to a premature offensive into northern Virginia by General McDowell. Searching out the Confederate forces, McDowell led 34,000 troops--mostly inexperienced and poorly trained militiamen--toward the railroad junction of Manassas, located just 30 miles from Washington, D.C. Alerted to the Union advance, General Beauregard massed some 20,000 troops there and was soon joined by General Joseph Johnston, who brought some 9,000 more troops by railroad.
On the morning of July 21, hearing of the proximity of the two opposing forces, hundreds of civilians--men, women, and children--turned out to watch the first major battle of the Civil War. The fighting commenced with three Union divisions crossing the Bull Run stream, and the Confederate flank was driven back to Henry House Hill. However, at this strategic location, Beauregard had fashioned a strong defensive line anchored by a brigade of Virginia infantry under General Thomas J. Jackson. Firing from a concealed slope, Jackson's men repulsed a series of Federal charges, winning Jackson his famous nickname "Stonewall."
Meanwhile, Confederate cavalry under J.E.B. Stuart captured the Union artillery, and Beauregard ordered a counterattack on the exposed Union right flank. The rebels came charging down the hill, yelling furiously, and McDowell's line was broken, forcing his troops in a hasty retreat across Bull Run. The retreat soon became an unorganized flight, and supplies littered the road back to Washington. Union forces endured a loss of 3,000 men killed, wounded, or missing in action while the Confederates suffered 2,000 casualties. The scale of this bloodshed horrified not only the frightened spectators at Bull Run but also the U.S. government in Washington, which was faced with an uncertain military strategy in quelling the "Southern insurrection."
Bob

You've seen the couple of pieces of civil war ammunition I have haven't you? The calibre of those minié ball munitions is bloody scary. .58 Calibre. Nasty.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nozomi_(spacecraft)

The way I see it now, The chinese and the Indians will probably make the attempt first, as a matter of national pride. This is a good thing because it may just goad Nasa and the US into action. One lives in hope.

Keep on forgetting about the Chinese and Indians. Would like to see a manned moon base - we're falling way behind on Gerry Anderson here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE