Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Phwoar that Me262 is gorgeous, I always thought the German designers made butt ugly planes but that's proven me wrong :D we get beautiful military jets practicing low level flight round here and the aeroclub just over the hill often gets beaten up by anything interesting passing by :D they shut the local harrier base though,, the skies are poorer for that :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Phwoar that Me262 is gorgeous, I always thought the German designers made butt ugly planes but that's proven me wrong :D we get beautiful military jets practicing low level flight round here and the aeroclub just over the hill often gets beaten up by anything interesting passing by :D they shut the local harrier base though,, the skies are poorer for that :)

Used to see the dirty plumes from the Vulcans taking off over the river, nice plane.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The Avro Vulcan is a jet-powered delta wing strategic bomber, which was operated by the Royal Air Force from 1956 until 1984. Aircraft manufacturer A.V. Roe and Company designed the Vulcan in response to Specification B.35/46. Wikipedia
Introduced: July 20, 1956
Retired: March 1984
First flight: August 30, 1952
Length: 30 m
Designer: Roy Chadwick
Manufacturer: Avro

[video=youtube;MLNyQSg5NAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNyQSg5NAc[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The Avro Vulcan is a jet-powered delta wing strategic bomber, which was operated by the Royal Air Force from 1956 until 1984. Aircraft manufacturer A.V. Roe and Company designed the Vulcan in response to Specification B.35/46. Wikipedia
Introduced: July 20, 1956
Retired: March 1984
First flight: August 30, 1952
Length: 30 m
Designer: Roy Chadwick
Manufacturer: Avro

[video=youtube;MLNyQSg5NAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNyQSg5NAc[/video]

And my mate Steve's Grand-dad was one of the design team for it. He used to get special treatment at Leuchars public days lucky sod.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You can hardly believe how good a plane it was. 100ft long, massive payload. speed and manoueverability, and brought into service 7 months before I was born. Sadly there is no call for this type of bomber today.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It lives near us in Bruntingthorpe :) My best sight of it flying was at the Cosby Victory show, absolutely beautiful feeling as the engines lined up with you as it pulled away under power... every cc of air in my lungs vibrated, the earth surely moved for me ;)
644278_4100038133737_1061058819_n.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well a little musical relief after me not being able to do a Biker Day yesterday.
Today in 1940 "Billboard" produced it's first singles chart and this little gem was the first Number 1.
[video=youtube;il7DWoLySW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7DWoLySW8[/video]
The Band were The Pied Pipers and the vocals were by Old Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra.
Speaking of great chaps like Biker and Frank they recon today is also the Birthday of Alexander the Great in the year 356 BC.
alexander-the-great.jpg

I will not be posting a link to the dogs dinner of a 2004 movie starring Colin Farrell, as such a tragedy should be forgotten.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Well a little musical relief after me not being able to do a Biker Day yesterday.
Today in 1940 "Billboard" produced it's first singles chart and this little gem was the first Number 1.
[video=youtube;il7DWoLySW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7DWoLySW8[/video]
The Band were The Pied Pipers and the vocals were by Old Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra.
Speaking of great chaps like Biker and Frank they recon today is also the Birthday of Alexander the Great in the year 356 BC.
alexander-the-great.jpg

I will not be posting a link to the dogs dinner of a 2004 movie starring Colin Farrell, as such a tragedy should be forgotten.
Well it was all forgotten , till you reminded us all.
Bob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well it was all forgotten , till you reminded us all.
Bob
Don't you like Biker Days? Are you jealous about not having Bob Days? We can start one if you like? :rolleyes: It could all be BOB related interesting facts... I've over 20 years worth of stories and pictures to go with :evilangel:Hmmmm hang on though, so do you. Truce?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
At 10:56 p.m. EDT, American astronaut Neil Armstrong, 240,000 miles from Earth, speaks these words to more than a billion people listening at home: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Stepping off the lunar landing module Eagle, Armstrong became the first human to walk on the surface of the moon.

[video=youtube;sTBIr65cL_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBIr65cL_E[/video]

Almost forgotten now.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Don't you like Biker Days? Are you jealous about not having Bob Days? We can start one if you like? :rolleyes: It could all be BOB related interesting facts... I've over 20 years worth of stories and pictures to go with :evilangel:Hmmmm hang on though, so do you. Truce?
truce is good :lmao:I just read the thread and you reminded me of that god awful movie, it was so bad it didn't make it to my fun awful movie folder.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
truce is good :lmao:I just read the thread and you reminded me of that god awful movie, it was so bad it didn't make it to my fun awful movie folder.

Yes Mr Farrell isn't up there with my favourites though totally fantastic in "In Bruges" and "Seven Psychopaths". Though for movies that SUCK there was always TROY. One of my favourite childhood tales, a classic tale, a ten year war - reduced to a weekend it seems and so awful it hurt my eyes.

Colin, your right my inner geek failed me, I'd forgotten the landing date... bad geek. Well reminded.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm just amazed he forgets to mention some really important things in his Dad's life... like watching the very first moon landing ;)

Well Dad doesn't like to talk about the Moon, he says "what happens on the moon, stays on the moon," Plus he didn't like it there, no atmosphere he said.

Biker

Thanks Son. I'm enjoying these "on this day" postings, as well as Colin's (the other one) contributions.

Busy world eh? Makes ya wonder how we had time to do anything when all these events were crowding our time.

+1 on the Farrel film. Most disappointing offering that.

Sal - The Nazis designing but ugly planes? Are you deranged?!!! Just look at the graceful lines of the Junkers 52 or the awesomeness of the The Blohm & Voss BV 141... wait a sec' you could be right :eek:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sal - The Nazis designing but ugly planes? Are you deranged?!!! Just look at the graceful lines of the Junkers 52 or the awesomeness of the The Blohm & Voss BV 141... wait a sec' you could be right :eek:

Plus nice uniforms...

[video=youtube;K08akOt2kuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08akOt2kuo[/video]

Biker

Well Dad doesn't like to talk about the Moon, he says "what happens on the moon, stays on the moon," Plus he didn't like it there, no atmosphere he said.

Did you ever read that loooong thread that began with the sinking of the Titanic conspiracy theory and escalated that was started here a couple of years ago? It got quite heated at times. (don't resurrect it please) let's just say we each have our own idea about what actually happened and what "they" said happened.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE