Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just wanted to add this for the day as I've not listened to "Songs Of Love And Hate" in ages.

[video=youtube;pPf5Ki9ygVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPf5Ki9ygVY[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Punch_volume_1_cover_illustration_%281841%29.png

Happy Punch Magazine Day
Punch that British satirical institution was founded on this day in 1841 and became the bane of public figures and crooked business for many a year before loosing it's way and finally closing it's pages in 1992. During that time it was like one of it's most famous cartoons.
True_humility.png

"True Humility": Bishop: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones"; Curate: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!"
The Hoff's Birthday
Is also today and we know how much you like the HOFF!
auto3.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Pass the mind bleach Mesquite please, I need it for the Hoff pictures my soon to be abandoned Son just posted. :nono:

Can't help but wonder if the powers that be had some hand in the closure of Punch, constantly having to be the butt of satirical humour, not to mention publicly aired criticism of policy must have ruffled a few feathers in Whitehall. I certainly wouldn't put it past some shady government dept to have torpedoed Punch.

I thought for a second it was Punch and Judy day, I remember sitting on Margate beach watching those puppet shows as a kid in the 60's in horrified fascination. Punch scared the carp out of me back then.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Did you know that on this day in 1941 (it was a Thursday by the way), Brigadier General Soervell directed Architect G. Edwin Bergstrom to have basic plans and architectural perspectives for an office building that could house 40,000 War Department employees on his desk by the following Monday morning. The building became known as the Pentagon.
Here are some facts: -
The Pentagon is the largest office building in the world, based on floor space alone.
There are seventeen and a half miles of hallways within the Pentagon.
It is so huge that it’s been assigned six different zip codes.
The Pentagon is home to 4,200 different clocks.
There are twenty-three thousand employees within their walls.
There are more than 200,000 phone calls and 1,000,000 emails sent and received on a daily basis.
It is shaped like a pentagon because of where the roads were positioned that surrounded the original building site.
The windows in the Pentagon are glass panes that are two inches thick and weigh almost 1 ton each.
The windows do not open.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Awwww, back in the day when real men didn't shave or use Veet for Men, marvellous :)

zardoz_01.jpg

Some real men still don't!
Though I've been shaved for practice, charity and operations I like to keep my winter coat. I've never met a lassie who's complained either so I don't know why so many supposedly say they don't like it. But then I also keep a beard year round as I look weird (OK weirder before Biker jumps in there) without it. Think I've only shaved it off totally about 4-5 times in the last 28 years. (Though the handlebar moustache wasn't really a good look on me.)

Was laughing with some friends when I saw this add the other day - good on Southern Comfort, trying to make us oldies cool.
[video=youtube;jsU_qIjpUBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsU_qIjpUBI[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm going to pop this here in case it was missed first time round. It was Brambles quick pun (I love puns) in the No more sharps allowed to be posted from today thread.

It nearly had me replying as both are on the restricted list. He's a clever bunny and it gets my vote for best pun of 2013 so far.

brambles

user-offline.png
Nomad Nomad

Join DateApr 2012LocationAberdeenshirePosts294
icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tat2trev
they were both super wrapped in cardboard and extremely safe to Handel ...

What - no concerns about all that water and fireworks?​

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
zardoz_01.jpg

Some real men still don't!
Though I've been shaved for practice, charity and operations I like to keep my winter coat. I've never met a lassie who's complained either so I don't know why so many supposedly say they don't like it. But then I also keep a beard year round as I look weird (OK weirder before Biker jumps in there) without it. Think I've only shaved it off totally about 4-5 times in the last 28 years. (Though the handlebar moustache wasn't really a good look on me.)

Was laughing with some friends when I saw this add the other day - good on Southern Comfort, trying to make us oldies cool.
[video=youtube;jsU_qIjpUBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsU_qIjpUBI[/video]

Last time I took the beard off was when I was 16 years old - but I kept the 'tashe.
I shaved bits of my chest the other day ... so the ECG machine tabs would stick to me... but I used my pocket knife!
The bald spots are growing back nicely....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Last time I took the beard off was when I was 16 years old - but I kept the 'tashe.
I shaved bits of my chest the other day ... so the ECG machine tabs would stick to me... but I used my pocket knife!
The bald spots are growing back nicely....

I bet the nurses loved you doing that. Didn't they call security?
They tried to remove my little Opinel from me the other week in hospital during my stay. But I told they I couldn't eat my lovely apples without one. A lie but I prefer it that way.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I bet the nurses loved you doing that. Didn't they call security?
They tried to remove my little Opinel from me the other week in hospital during my stay. But I told they I couldn't eat my lovely apples without one. A lie but I prefer it that way.

At the GP's they know me well! :)
Been going there for the past 34 years and they understand my "enthusiasms":)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
At the GP's they know me well! :)
Been going there for the past 34 years and they understand my "enthusiasms":)

I'd love to have seen that, and I can imagine the scramble for the exits if I tried it up here. So saying as you say the nurses know me and my predilections so I may be safe.

Another bearded youth eh!, I remember getting called before the rector and headmaster at School when they tried to get me to shave my beard off whilst there. But as I pointed out there was nothing in the school regulations about it, my uniform was closer to regulations than the head boys and most of the prefects and that they weren't having this conversation with Mohamed in the same year as me who's beard was much bushier. I got to keep my beard but they watched me like a hawk. :)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
GOATBOY! How on earth do you expect me to sit still and concentrate on this highbrow thread with images like the tufty Sean and my absolutely favourite gilf-of-the-day ad?! Now I'm wondering if their backs are hairy and everything.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
GOATBOY! How on earth do you expect me to sit still and concentrate on this highbrow thread with images like the tufty Sean and my absolutely favourite gilf-of-the-day ad?! Now I'm wondering if their backs are hairy and everything.

:lmao:Sorry Turbogirl, well your gilf doesn't have a hairy back in the add, as you see when he politely dips to the young ladies. I take it you'll be off to the new Wolverine movie when it comes out?
Shall I try to make it less distracting for you for tomorrow?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
me262shark.jpg

Happy Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe Day
I know it's your favourite plane and on this day in 1942 it flew for the first time.
[video=youtube;b4EASQJ0vJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4EASQJ0vJk[/video]
Today is also the Birthday in 1962 of Lee Arenberg better known as Pintel from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
On this day 1966 Gemini 10 launched.

Gemini 10 was the eighth crewed Earth-orbiting spacecraft of the Gemini series, carrying astronauts John Young and Michael Collins. Its primary purpose was to conduct rendezvous and docking tests with the Agena target vehicle. The mission plan included a rendezvous with the Gemini 8 Agena target, two extravehicular activity (EVA) excursions, and the performance of 15 scientific,
technological, and medical experiments. The scientific experiments were
related to (1) zodiacal light, synoptic terrain, and synoptic weather
photography, (2) micrometeorite collections, (3) UV astronomical camera,
(4) ion wake measurements, and (5) meteoroid erosion.

[video=youtube;gEWYAXOdQk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWYAXOdQk0&list=PL8CBC41A8C51BFE3F[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE