Big Jobs in Leather

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Absolutely beautiful. I'm well impressed, and inspired to have a go myself at something big. Is that natural linen you have lined it out with? As for value, I'd say around the £250 mark. I think I'll do one with a bit of tooling on it.

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There would seriously be a market for that in many top end stores - showed it to a couple of very well paid guys at work and they drooled on my screen.

I can't imagine it would pay back, but you could sell those very easily for Woodlore knife prices!

Red

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Mrs Stevesteve says "Oooohhhhh that's gorgeous!". I think it's a great piece of work and reminds me that I have offered to make SWBMO a handbag.

I am a bit scared of the 1800 stitches though. How long did that take? Did you do bit at a time or hours at a time?

Cheers,
Steve

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Shep,

What's Camel leather like to work with I noticed Leprevo has some in?

This was le prevo camel. It's good stuff, the skin side is slightly softer than cow, a bit nubucky. It's a nice weight for for this kind of project and wet-molds reasonably well as it's veg tan( I did this for the corners of the side-pieces).

It's also kind of cool that you can say it's made from Malian camel hide!

I'm not sure about selling these. The ones in those links would have that extra level of refinement: fine stitches, thin leather, perfect finish (albeit probably painted) which people would expect for that kind of money.

I'd have to charge about that much to justify the time they take, but the finish I like (and do) is more rustic-feeling and 'imperfect'. Chunky linen thread, raw linen (well spotted Eric), and the little flaws that creep in when something is entirely handmade would worry me when asking for that much cash.

D

DrSin

Wow thats one nice piece of work, my hat is well and truly off to you, well done.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
This was le prevo camel. It's good stuff, the skin side is slightly softer than cow, a bit nubucky. It's a nice weight for for this kind of project and wet-molds reasonably well as it's veg tan( I did this for the corners of the side-pieces).

It's also kind of cool that you can say it's made from Malian camel hide!

Great I've got to put an order in so I think I might just be getting some;) just not sure about the 1800 stitches:eek:

Cheers Richard

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I'd have to charge about that much to justify the time they take, but the finish I like (and do) is more rustic-feeling and 'imperfect'. Chunky linen thread, raw linen (well spotted Eric), and the little flaws that creep in when something is entirely handmade would worry me when asking for that much cash

Are you crazy? It's the slight "imperfections" that mark that case out as a superb piece of hand made art. That's going to age beautifully. Totally fantastic work mate!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That is utterly, stunningly beautiful!
happy0034.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE