Millican Mark the field bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Thought I'd do a quick review on the Millican Mark the field bag. I bought this as I wanted something a little smaller than my work bag to take on hols. Didn't need to carry much, camera, sunglasses, some sunscreen and misc bits and bobs. Would use it for the airport so a secure pocket would be good too. Always a big fan of canvas and I'd been poking at the Belstaff, something from Duluth and one of the Timberland earthkeepers. Time was running out so I plumped for a Mark the field bag which came with a free Andy the water bottle (with coupon code!)

The main problem I have with choosing a bag is the gauging the size, it's almost impossible to get it right, it's always a little bigger or a little smaller than you thought. I've tried to put in a few comparisons to help gauge it, if there's anything more you want to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Right on with the piccies.

First couple show Mark against the my custom Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Dims for the Mark are 33x27x13cm, 12 LTR, 960 gms and for the Medium Classic Messenger are 49.0x26.4x20.1cm 24 LTR 1.2kg So the Timbuk2 is about twice the volume for only about 250g more. The canvas is good bit heavier. Also in there is my camera bag a LowePro Toploader Zoom 45 AW.

DSCF1715.jpg

Slight top view with rule

DSCF1716.jpg

Front view on it's own.

DSCF1717.jpg

This one shows the shoulder strap which is great, very comfortable, doesn't dig in and distributes the load pretty well. It's not a huge bag so it's difficult to load up too much but water etc is pretty dense. The strap doesn't disconnect but is very adjustable when fully doubled up is just like a long handle. Also shows their nice leather logo and my not so nice one. The bag is closed by two funky looking 'poppers' per strap. When I got these they were ridiculously stiff, so much so, I was worried I was going to rip the bag when I tried to open them but they loosened off pretty quickly to a nice secure snap. Also they're pretty easy to line up to close them and just closing one is still pretty secure.

Lifting the flap

DSCF1718.jpg

reveals the internal pockets plus the main pocket. None of these are secured but I've never had anything fall out so probably a non-issue. Flipping it over to look at the back;

DSCF1719.jpg

We have another logo and a nice big pocket secured with a popper. I found this handy for dropping in travel docs etc pretty secure, safe with reasonably easy access. Usual thing with the popper, really hard to pop but slackens off pretty quickly.

Inside view

DSCF1720.jpg

Looking inside, it's very nicely lined, some nice detailing in there too. From this angle, you can see the divider in the front pocket (bottom right of the piccie) And just make out the secure zipped section. Zip seems of good quality and runs pretty well. Doesn't snag at all either which can be brutally annoying! Two pockets on either end for water bottles or I stick my Ipod in there. Spacious main compartment with a sleeve at the back. I think you'd be struggling to get a decent sized laptop in there, a wee netbook or tablet is fine though. Not specfically padded but the lining is pretty soft and thick and the lack of padding didn't worry me at all. I stuck a grimlock on the label to hang my keys.

DSCF1721.jpg

This is it packed, standard bike bottle in the end pocket, The Andy bottle disappears so you can just see and grab the neck but this shows the max size. 5x7 medic pouch with usual EDC stuff, folder, torch, sun screen bug repellant, notebook, multitool, travel FAK, some batteries etc etc. Camera bag and Ipad. Plenty room for stuffing a jacket or fleece on top and with the 2 popper holes it does expand a little to accommodate more stuff stuffed on top, like say your wife's jacket....!

Top down view, shows the zipped compartment a little better.

DSCF1722.jpg

Packed end view, nice detailing on the strap

DSCF1723.jpg

Packed front view

DSCF1724.jpg

Packed top view

DSCF1725.jpg

Showing both bags on me, 6', 42 chest, if that makes any difference

bothback.jpg

Same but from the side, you can see the bottle peeking through here and also my beergut!

bothside.jpg

OK now the not so good news. I like canvas, I like the way it ages but this is the bag after about a month and a half.

DSCF1730.jpg

I'm sure you guys noticed the fading in the pics above and it was pretty much like this after 5 days holiday. I was in Spain, Italy and Southern France and it was sunny all day, every day and it was getting a fair bit of UV exposure but 5 days is a bit too quick to fade like this IMO. Also it's faded only on exposed surfaces and in a kind of ugly way, usually canvas fades nice and gradually.

I didn't want to post this without getting in touch with Millican first and they were pretty good about it. I pinged them saying I think you have an issue with your dyes and they were very straightforward in saying, yep I think you're right! If I'd asked for a refund or a replacement I think they'd have been ok with that too. I'm actually really happy with the bag, I love the colour (but not the fading) and the design is ace, so they have said they are working with a new supplier and will pop me a new bag when they are up and running which will be towards the end of the year.

Millican are big on the environmental side of things and there is some fine tuning going on to match the fabric and the dyes to ensure good colourfastness. Could they have handled it better, not sure, no point in firing me a new green one if it fades the same and I'm happy to wait.

So overall, great bag, not big by any means but well designed, sits well and holds enough for what I want it for. I didn't like the colour of the 'antique bronze' one but it may be a safer bet until they sort out the fastness issue.

Cheers,

Alan

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Great review. I'm looking for a decent shoulder bag myself. Looking at the Barbour waxed cotton jobs & the like. Can't believe how bloody dear they are!! Before anyone posts - no, I don't want to make one myself cos I'm not a 'make it myself' sort of person due to not inheriting the right sort of genes - I blame my family tree...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I just bought one in the FatFace sale. It's canvas and leather with magnetic snaps and made to look vintage/distressed

0278fcb1-78ce-dae0.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is a nice looking bag. :)

"...Looking at the Barbour waxed cotton jobs & the like. Can't believe how bloody dear they are!..."

There are a few old Barbour fishing bags on ebay just now and they do not look like they have ever been used to hold fish. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE