Big Cats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Hello All

I was just reading in the local paper (Essex chronicle) about another sighting of a big cat in the area.

It got me thinking, has anyone from here ever found any evidence of these kitty's whilst out and about?

And if they are roaming about, how come no bodies / remains have been found?(the cats not the prey) Surely they must die at some point:rolleyes:

Joe

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm a firm believer.

Aye, I'm in the 100% camp now. And further to that thread linked by blacktimberwolf, further physical evidence has been found. I'm not going out on a limb until I have confirmed it though. Bushwhacker is helping me on this. Not exactly big cat like leopard or jaguar though.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Was reading about someone's husky having it's throat ripped out in Brecon last week, supposedly a jaguar. The owner said he has seen the jaguar in 2 occasions.
I dont see why bug cats can't live in the wild here, plenty of big cats were released back in the day when having them as prize pets became illegal

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Was reading about someone's husky having it's throat ripped out in Brecon last week, supposedly a jaguar. The owner said he has seen the jaguar in 2 occasions.
I dont see why bug cats can't live in the wild here, plenty of big cats were released back in the day when having them as prize pets became illegal

Remember that the illegal trade in exotic animals still thrives in this country today and is second only to the drugs trade. It's not just parrots and rare reptiles getting imported illegally for rich owners, exotic cats are also high up on the imports list too. I've lost count of how many exotic and restricted reptiles I've brought in over the last few years. Other species must get released too, but that's not my area so I don't know. Non Disclosure contracts are part and parcel of these captures if you are hired by a governing body, company or council - so it is rarely, if ever, news.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As I've iterated before on this subject...

How many carcasses of abundant native mammals does anyone come across, never mind the exotic?

I am a believer though, having glimpsed something one night myself.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
ive seen and heard some weird stuff out in the woods, one of the less crazy things would be a half eated roe fawn (ie, head, ribs, hide) 8ft up a tree, found a leg on the floor, i was only about 15 at the times and didnt think to take a photo, regret that realy.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
too many stories and eye witness account for it just to be tricks of the light mistakes and our dear of the dark.... saw something myself once passing through a wood in daylight on an archery field shoot.... at first i thought it may have been a greyhound with some guy out rabbiting. but when it passed at about 30 yards along the egde of the rouch area with the morning sun on it you could clearly see spots on it and a very short face not like a greyhound!!! there were a lot of people in the wood that day and cant help but wonder if we and all the row we were making hadnt scared it fron hiding somewhere in the woods.....dont know how tall a cheetah grows but it looked as big as a track greyhound!!!! no camera with me... funny thing is rather than leg it... I just turned away as if to show it I hadnt noticed it.. a quick glance ocver my should er a moment later and it was gone!!!!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Siberianfury said:
...the majority of videos display a large black domestic cat.

The same one? :D

We have wild wallabies/mink so why not non-native predators? I'd be surprised if there weren't any

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Our local paper has run a story about a big cat spotted around here. It seems only us and the breeder knows it's our Bengal's parent:lmao::lmao::lmao:

From Yahoo

"The average weight of a Bengal cat is 10-12 pounds for females and 15-18 pounds for males."

Here's a picture of one fine specimen
and Wikipedia says....

"The Bengal is a relatively new hybrid breed of cat, formed by the cross of a domestic feline and an Asian Leopard Cat"

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One of the wife's friends has turned into a bit of a mad cat woman, she's got Bengals and something not far off an Ocelot, can't remember the breed but it stands up just short of four feet on it's hind legs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE