Big Cat Hunt on in Essex. And BOY is is a....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wonder how long a lion could last n the wild here? I guess his hunting skills would be a little rusty to say the least.
On the other hand if he finds live stock their hunt avoidance skills are probably not upto much either.

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
There are several eye witnesses and they seem pretty certain what they saw. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Aug 20, 2012
west bromwich
All the local private collections would have been checked out last night along with the local zoo.
As for the circus only haveing tigers well if it was theres they were raising to use in a new act they arnt going to admit its theres.
If it is a lion it will be shot on site by armed police as I have not heard of local vet or zoo workers with tranquilizers being deployed.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
All the local private collections would have been checked out last night along with the local zoo.
As for the circus only haveing tigers well if it was theres they were raising to use in a new act they arnt going to admit its theres.
If it is a lion it will be shot on site by armed police as I have not heard of local vet or zoo workers with tranquilizers being deployed.

The first link JD posted said:
Two police helicopters using heat-seeking equipment have been involved in the hunt for the animal, while zoo workers said to be armed with tranquilliser guns have also joined armed officers.

First link JD posted.

If they do decide to ask the police to shoot it, I hope they're using something with a bit more poke than the 9mm HK's they're usually seen with. Shoot a big cat with a 9mm and, unless you're unfeasibly lucky, all you're likely to do is make it a bit more dangerous and considerably more annoyed!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2012
west bromwich
Most police are now armed with h&k g36 rifles I belive they are a 5.56 weapon system and they will more than likely have sniper rifles for hostage situations which will also be deployed.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Didnt realise it was essex, isnt it usually cougars you need to be worried about there? :rolleyes:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I wish they'd publish this photograph taken of it.

Hehe, any bushcrafters/members doing an overnighter down that way?

The picture has been published

However, reading the story it was supposed to have been taken at approximately 7:00pm... seems a bit dark for that time of day

article-2193984-14B5BA08000005DC-845_634x515.jpg

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
First link JD posted.

If they do decide to ask the police to shoot it, I hope they're using something with a bit more poke than the 9mm HK's they're usually seen with. Shoot a big cat with a 9mm and, unless you're unfeasibly lucky, all you're likely to do is make it a bit more dangerous and considerably more annoyed!

Couldn't use my .308 (7.62) even with hollowpoint ammo; however several forces have access to .338 lapua a long range sniper round used by the military.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE