Bicycle Caravan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I have a strange urge to make one. I always wanted to do Offa's Dyke end to end, tempted to do London to Offas Dyke in one of these things next summer. I wonder how practical this would really be? Any ideas?

[video=youtube;ZiejAhol4Ps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiejAhol4Ps[/video]

He made his from Coroplast boards, we don't have elections with these boards covering the country to half inch here in the UK. Need to think of an alternative.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
He has quite a few interestng videos on micro builds. Coraplast is used quite a lot as floor and frame protection in the building trade here.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The question is; why? You still face restrictions on where you can stop and sleep and I reckon in a damp climate like the UK it would get very mildewed inside.

I'd hate to have to tow something like that behind a bike (and I've towed several sorts of trailers with loads up to 100kg). Very restrictive and slow. Much easier to carry a tent in panniers.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Looks like a big, and often unhelpful, sail to me.

I would think the fact that he is using a recumbent is a mitigating factor in that, if it were a fully streamlined recumbent with a fairing maybe it would improve it some more.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Whether it works or not, there are some interesting designs and ideas here. http://weburbanist.com/2012/10/15/bike-campers-12-mini-mobile-homes-for-nomadic-cyclists/
But for real comfort, how about this. And he's towing with the trailers 3 airbrakes on. :lmao:

Airstream-1947.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I'm guessing wind could be a problem. In the vid he says it's 10kg so weight is not so much of a problem. Also as a camper, parking on a residential street would be quite legal for the night, couldn't do that with a tent, as far I know there is no free camping on Offa's Dyke and and also none on the cycle ride there from London.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'm guessing wind could be a problem. In the vid he says it's 10kg so weight is not so much of a problem. Also as a camper, parking on a residential street would be quite legal for the night, couldn't do that with a tent, as far I know there is no free camping on Offa's Dyke and and also none on the cycle ride there from London.

If you decide to go ahead with a build, I'd be very interested in your ideas. Keep us posted.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
10Kg is quite a lot. A tent plus sleeping mat is a lot less than that!

The point about being able to stop and sleep on a residential street is well made, but would you want to?

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I think the way to go would be a pop-up affair, like a mini trailer tent, it would be roomier and less of a sail in the wind.
The plastic boards are great.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
For me the real point is what people can come up with using a little imagination. Pretty amazing in my view.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
A bike caravan appears fleetingly (at 1.08 and 1.40) in the trailer for Sightseers (the West Midlands answer to Thelma and Louise), without spoiling the plot for anyone who hasn't seen this great film - the design and practicalities get discussed at great length but it doesn't end well for the cyclist. Put me right of the idea! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qyg9aRqlUxM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE