Beware of the snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Christmas Eve my friend and neighbour popped out to the shops, he was nearly there but slipped on some ice fracturing his leg in two places and breaking some bones in his feet.

Now there was no way he could walk back and didn't bring his mobile and he had no gloves with him either so he had to crawl home on his hands and knees, he made it back but in terrible pain with Huge blisters and swelling to his hands.

His wife fed him his Christmas dinner and told him to go to the doctors/hospital on Sunday, which he did.

Turned out he'd done what I've already told you but to add insult to injury he's got frostbite to both hands and is having to wear gloves all the time!!!

In bad weather, even a simple trip could turn nasty so be prepared, it may be overkill, but you never know.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow that's really grim Andy, I was waiting for the punch line that never came.

Hope your friend recovers soon enough

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's horrendous Andy. I was out for a bimble up Kinver (The Compa) and an elderly woman had fallen over and hurt her hip and ankle on the steep road. Before I got to her she had been there for half an hour and was in a right state. Two young people had actually driven past her, one of them actually honked the horn to get her to move out the way. She was OK but had a badly sprained ankle too. The ice on the sides of the road was so bad that she just couldn't get a decent footing to attempt standing. I fell over twice getting to her. Literally 20 metres away from her line of houses. She had called out but no one heard her.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hope he gets better soon,sounds grim having to crawl back on his hands and knee's, does'nt help theres no grit being put down, the council here seem to think putting little black stones by the ton down will solve the issue but its leading to many a cracked windscreen and not much else!

People die in their own houses and gardens from hypo. My 80 year old neighbor potters down the garden in her slippers and dressing gown to feed the birds and wheel her bins in and out on collection day. I have told her dozens of times to leave her bins and I'll sort them all out for her but because I'm not standing waiting for the collection men to return the bin after emptying (7am) she thinks I've forgotten and ventures out to fetch them herself.
She gets up at around 5am so she has the advantage in the wheely bin race.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Elderly people are usually aware that anything they stop doing, quickly becomes something they cant do anymore, and will never be able to do again.

Thats why you see them so desperate with their bins and getting the newspapers etc..

I often struggle watching after offering to do it for them, knowing the need, but hating the chance of watching the consequences.

Difficult.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Elderly people are usually aware that anything they stop doing, quickly becomes something they cant do anymore, and will never be able to do again.

Thats why you see them so desperate with their bins and getting the newspapers etc..

I often struggle watching after offering to do it for them, knowing the need, but hating the chance of watching the consequences.

Difficult.

very astute observation, that didnt occur to me, thank you

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
Hope he's ok , but someone surely must have seen him . I assume if he was popping to the shop and he's your neighbour there must be other people about , if so that's bad . Friend of mine slipped TWO feet climbing back into his wagon cab ( parked on a slope , self leveling cab ) shattered toes and ankle , strapped to a stretcher/plank for a suspected broken back . Amazing how fragile we really are .
Cheers , Trev .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Heyho ,
Hope he's ok , but someone surely must have seen him . I assume if he was popping to the shop and he's your neighbour there must be other people about , if so that's bad . Friend of mine slipped TWO feet climbing back into his wagon cab ( parked on a slope , self leveling cab ) shattered toes and ankle , strapped to a stretcher/plank for a suspected broken back . Amazing how fragile we really are .
Cheers , Trev .

I would have thought the same about the woman I saw. But there were few people about along quiet lanes during the height of the freeze and festivities.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Bit of an update.

Thanks for the concern folks, appreciated.

My wife spoke to his wife at school and the good news is that he hasn't damaged his feet, they've signed him off with the frostbitten hands which are recovering nicely but he will still need to wear the gloves for a while longer. He's in plaster from ankle to knee with the two fractures he got to his leg.

I asked the same question about why no-one was around as walking to any of the local shops round by me you would be difficult not to walk houses or main roads. Strange, perhaps they thought he was drunk?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Bit of an update.

Thanks for the concern folks, appreciated.

My wife spoke to his wife at school and the good news is that he hasn't damaged his feet, they've signed him off with the frostbitten hands which are recovering nicely but he will still need to wear the gloves for a while longer. He's in plaster from ankle to knee with the two fractures he got to his leg.

I asked the same question about why no-one was around as walking to any of the local shops round by me you would be difficult not to walk houses or main roads. Strange, perhaps they thought he was drunk?
Quite a few people have died because of that assumption.:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE