Help me choose a pair of gloves, please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself walks miles every day.
It's sodden wet, again. Today it's sleety rain.
His gloves are just not up to it.

I've been looking at Sealskinz ones for him, but I'm kind of swamped for choice.

Can anyone help me suss this out ?

He needs them to be waterproof, windproof, and not so bulky that he can't slip them beneath the cuffs of his jacket.
His present ones are thick and bulky and end up wet.

I did wonder about cycling gloves but I feel those are just too thin.

If the gloves are strong enough not to shred as he pushes the occasional branch or the like out of the way, that'd be good :) his walk is down through the woods, along the river banks, up along the field edges and back down over the river again.
It's a good walk, with enough interesting variety on the way, but it can be hard on kit re the mud, etc.,

Thanks for any helpful advice :)
M

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Watching with interest.

I used to have some sealskins, which were great for being waterproof and pretty tough. But they were a bit close fitting so I struggled to get another pair of liner gloves underneath. They were an xl as well if I remember. My hands aren't huge, but I've got long fingers.
They were not warm at all though! Particularly when wet, even though the water didn't get through. When the fabric wetted out on a cold, wet windy day (say, in the British summer ), the wind chill kicked in.
They weren't bulky though. Probably why they weren't warm!

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He too has longish fingers so Small is too small, iimmc ? I usually buy him Medium and those are generally fine if a little roomy.

I know he won't want to bother wearing separate liner gloves though.

I think you described the wet wind chill problem spot on.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have found various NATO flight gloves excellent for non flight use, so something like this could be a starting point.

Reactions: Robbi

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Robbi
I'm pretty sure leather won't do. They need to be able to be dried out on the kitchen radiator day after day after day. They need to be wind and water proof, breathable would be good, but if not, at least washable on occasion.
Nice gloves those though :)

@TLM
Those just look too bulky to me. Jackets now are slim fit, especially near cuffs and hems, and there's no way he could comfortable get those under his sleeves, especially if he's out and about and has taken them off to fix something and then tries to put them back on in the rain.
Pretty much that's the problem with the best of his present pairs.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Those just look too bulky to me.
They are lightly insulated not winter gloves but nowhere close to single skin leather gloves in thickness. I don't think I have seen very thin membrane gloves, that does not mean they don't exist but usually it is combined with at least some insulation. Paddling? Gloves is really one application where some of the stretchier films could beat Goretex.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Toddy, the Gold top gloves are motorcycle gloves, very hard wearing, very abrasion resistant and made to be dried out on radiators in every biker household every time it rains.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Am I missing something ? The only ones I can find of those are either short like my dressy ladies gloves that stop at my wrist, or they're bulky long cuffs that won't go up easily under his jacket sleeves....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm pretty sure those are too short. They're of the length I'd call driving gloves.
If he stretches out his arm, those'll pop out of the cuff and then it's back to square one again.
He's active, mobile, stretching to loup over things, etc.,

You have no idea how close I am to buying a pair of long wrist fleece liners and a pair of black marigolds ! :) :rolleyes:
He'd shred the marigolds in no time though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did wonder about them, and that's what kind of led to the sealskinz.
I hoped someone else had sussed out the same kind of issues I'm having finding something 'right'.

M

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
#1son tested neoprene gloves in the army for coolish wet weather, did not use them long, apparently not comfortable and not warm.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to do a lot of kayaking on the Scottish white water rivers. Fair bit on the sea too though. We used neoprene mitts with cut out palms. Our fingers didn't freeze off, but they weren't exactly warm either. We used to blame the cut out palms but if we hadn't had those back then there was no confidence in the grip when things got a little bit wild.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I use Skytec Argon gloves for work. They are not up to Arctic exploration but definitely a step up from 'normal' gloves in warmth while being close fitting enough to permit reasonable dexterity. The fingers are too long for me :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE