Help me choose a pair of gloves, please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use Skytec Argon gloves for work. They are not up to Arctic exploration but definitely a step up from 'normal' gloves in warmth while being close fitting enough to permit reasonable dexterity. The fingers are too long for me :-D

They look useful; may get a pair for winter working in the wood.

A very useful thread Toddy :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He has at least a dozen pairs of 'decent' gloves.....but they're either too easily soaked through, or too bulky for his everyday walk. Great if he's away up a hill in a blizzard, but not really a lot of use in the icy winds, torrential rain and mud that is so often a feature of the daily exercise.

I found a site :)
Have I mentioned that I have a real liking for comfortable work gloves ? :eek: I buy them by the dozen for myself, and I go through at least a dozen pairs a year. Usually I just buy from Arco, but I found this site looking for the skytec argon gloves that @Kadushu mentioned.

Happy egg :D

Anyhow, I've bought four different pairs for Himself to try :rolleyes2:
They'll get used one way or t'other :)

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not sure I'm of much help here as the gloves I usually get are the framers gloves with the first two fingers and the thumb cut off at the fingertips. That gives protection for the rest of my hand but allows dexterity to pick nails and screws out of a pocket.

If I get them with those fingers full size I still cut them off so those three are in effect fingerless.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Might be too thin for your needs but worth a look anyway. i use MacWet climatec long cuff gloves for shooting and cycling in foul weather.
As dexterity is paramount in these situations.

The climatec backing is windproof and water 'resistant' and adds a layer of warmth. I have cycled in weather down to -2deg in these and been ok.
Also if they do wet-out, i found the climatec kind of acts like a wetsuit material and keeps a layer of warmer moisture next to the skin.

The palms are made of a thin material that is mostly witchcraft. The wetter they get the grippier they get. Sounds weird but actually works.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Got to be worth a try :)
We'd no joy with the skytec ones. They ended up soaking up so much rain that we wrung them out like a sponge :sigh: great in dry-ish weather though, just not up to the downpours.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
These are also very good.
With a good dose of nikwax leather waterproofing cream they have served as good winter work gloves for me?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE