Best Sub £50 Hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geordie_ben

May 21, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Me again :)

What would you recommend as the best sub £50 hatchet?

I've always liked, tho never tried, the Gerber Sport Axe

I'm gonna allow myself £50 to buy one, whether that's just for a really good axe, or for a not so bad axe and some sharpening kit (tho, I've never sharpened anything other than a pencil in my life), or a proper cheapo (like the Argos once a few people have raved about) and the sharpening kit

It's going to be used for weekends away, splitting medium logs and branches etc 4-8" thickness I'd imagine

Thoughts and recommendations would be much appreciated

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
The husqvarna is a good multipurpose axe,good for chopping up fire wood and carving I think.
You will have money left for a sharpening stone too.The axe mask could be better,
but that could be a leather work project for you ;)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I must admit I am biased as I have a thing for gransfors axes but if you can face shelling out an extra £10 for a mini or wildlife hatchet they are superb for carving and versatile for splitting and chopping etc...

They also come up on the sales threads here for sub £50 reasonably often if you don't mind waiting.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i had a GB wildlife hatchet oddly i struggled to keep it sharp, i have a cheap B&Q one thats ace once sharpened but a little top heavy so i keep it at home for splitting kindling in the garden. I mainly take my gerber paxe axe out with me as its small lightweight and great for splitting small logs (which is pretty much all i do as i dont carve) it has an amazing edge and is easy to sharpen. Recently i have also bought the cold steel tomahawk which im in the middle of modding but as yet i havent put an edge on it or used it to comment but they are nice and i like the idea of tomahawk type hatchet...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just my opinion and you will get more here believe me :) but starting out I would suggest a longer hafted axe.
Smaller axes are a compromise and I think take more experience to use safely and accurately. Simply because the sharp bit is closer to you than with a longer axe.

You dont want a head that is too heavy as it will be cumbersome and tiring to use. Its worth trying a few different types if at all possible and getting some advice on what will suit your needs best. If looked after you should never need to replace the axe in your life time. Maybe add more to your collection for different needs but if you have the cash to buy right first time its a good place to be.
So far as sharpening goes look up "British Reds sharpening guide" on this forum its all you should ever need, about a fiver to construct and all i use my self. I use an axe quite a bit for roughing out staves and general woods stuff.

Just as a thinking point, an axe thats good for limbing and carving will be much harder to split round with due to the thickness of the blade. At one end of the scale we have a carpenters axe. At the other we have a "maul" basically a sledge hammer with a an axe looking head on one end.

Same as knives one end a flex cut carving knife and the other a machete. Yes you could carve or hack you way though a jungle with either its just one will be much easier than the other. ;)

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i would not use the paxe axe for limbing etc for reason mentioned above but for splitting small logs for a tidy fire or stove its ideal, i liken it to a chunky knife razor sharp and good for prepping fire wood nothing more. For cutting branches as you mentioned in the original post i would simply use a saw chopping a branch up with an axe is not as easy as just sawing it up folding saw or bow saw up to you i use a bhaco folding saw for cutting small rounds then i split them with my camp axe. If you are dead set on chopping branches with an axe as above id suggest a longer handled tool, if you mean cleaning the branches of smaller twigs etc then a machete or light chopper will suffice.

geordie_ben

May 21, 2013
Newcastle, UK
morning guys, Thanks for the replies.

I probably should have mentioned I've had about 15 years experience using axes as I spent my life from the age of 6 onwards in Scouts. I've still got the skills at using everything from a hatchet upwards. but We never used anything smaller, nor anything different than cheaper wooden hafts. it was back in my scouting days I first spotted the Gerber sport

and as for that sharpening, that guide £5 guide is for knives isn't it? as he's also done a specific axe guide

come the suggestions coming tho. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE