Best price for an F&S British Army fighting knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
tenbears10 said:
Surely that is exactly what an F&S knife is :?:
Bill
I suppose so, but the customs officer I asked said that some stillettos are classified as flickknives :?:
The FS is not one of them :?: Seems as if some things depend largely on how the individual customs officer interprets the law...
The one thing that is certain though, is that any flickknife or butterfly knife is strictly forbidden !

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Tvividr said:
I suppose so, but the customs officer I asked said that some stillettos are classified as flickknives :?:
The FS is not one of them :?: Seems as if some things depend largely on how the individual customs officer interprets the law...
The one thing that is certain though, is that any flickknife or butterfly knife is strictly forbidden !

This is an automatic Stiletto or "flick knife"
400_0016_1.jpg

This is a manual Stiletto
390_9044_1.jpg

A FS is a fixed blade
britmodcomm.jpg

"Stiletto" simply describe's the blade style ,(long ,thin and often double edged).

rb

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
rapidboy said:
This is an automatic Stiletto or "flick knife"
............."Stiletto" simply describe's the blade style ,(long ,thin and often double edged). rb
Yep, but in our language we don't really differentiate between the types of stiletto knives like that. When speaking about a stiletto it usually implies a fixed blade only - an automatic stiletto is just an auto no matter what bladestyle it has.
It might be different in "customs legal language" though.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
leon-1 said:
If you were a collector of Knives, then yes. If you were a re-enactor of WWII no.

The question is why would you want one as they are highly impractical for anything other than thier intended use :roll:.

That's what I was trying to say. The only reason I can think of, is as a collector. If that is the reason for buying, then I would say buy Wilkinson Sword or dont bother, because none of the others have a collectable interest or value.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Martyn said:
That's what I was trying to say. The only reason I can think of, is as a collector. If that is the reason for buying, then I would say buy Wilkinson Sword or dont bother, because none of the others have a collectable interest or value.

Lord yes. If you find any marked "J.Clarke and Sons," they are purest trash, and I would take them off your hands for a modest sum strictly in the interests of quality control -- improving the breed and all that.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
TAHAWK said:
Lord yes. If you find any marked "J.Clarke and Sons," they are purest trash, and I would take them off your hands for a modest sum strictly in the interests of quality control -- improving the breed and all that.

:roll:

OK, ya made ya point.

J. Clarke & Sons, William Rodgers, Wilkinson Sword & George Wostenholm & Son are probably the only collectable makers of the FS knife. I can see a debate running on this ...and the other makers are collectable to a FS enthusiast, agreed (though they'd probably have the Boker Applegate as well), but the WS model is the only one with widespread appeal and easy resale value. If I were only buying one, I would get the Wilkinson knife. It's the one with true history, as it was Wilkinson who developed the pattern one knife and developed it into the more famous pattern three knife, in collaboration with Fairbairn and Sykes.

leon-1

Martyn said:
:roll:

OK, ya made ya point.

J. Clarke & Sons, William Rodgers, Wilkinson Sword & George Wostenholm & Son are probably the only collectable makers of the FS knife. I can see a debate running on this ...and the other makers are collectable to a FS enthusiast, agreed (though they'd probably have the Boker Applegate as well), but the WS model is the only one with widespread appeal and easy resale value. If I were only buying one, I would get the Wilkinson knife. It's the one with true history, as it was Wilkinson who developed the pattern one knife and developed it into the more famous pattern three knife, in collaboration with Fairbairn and Sykes.

I must admit that I am surprised that both Ek and Gerber don't do repro's of this as well, but that is probably because their versions that have been produced are superior in many ways (controversial, but true).

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Gents, I know that this is interesting and all, but the FS dagger isn't really anything to do with bushcraft. Even remotely. This is meant to be the Edged TOOLS forum. Not edged weapons, and that is what this dagger was designed for.

This discussion is straying a long way from the purpose of this forum. There are lots of places around to talk about daggers and stilettos and the relative merit of one make over another.

Personally I am not a fan of the FS design and far prefer the Ek, better balance, stronger and so on, but if I wanted to discuss collecting military knives I would be over on British Blades where there is even greater expertise.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I made this post to ask some questions about the F&S knife because i want to get one as a gift for a Norwegian mate of mine who is serving in his countrys forces.I do not want one of these daggers for myself,well ive not wanted one since i was about 10 years old anyway :eek:): .I figured that since we have many members of this forum who make and design their own knives and who are very knowledgeable on this whole subject,i thought it would be as a good a place to ask as any.In hindsite maybe the British blades would have been a better place to post my question,but i dident think of that site untill after making my post.

I agree my post is not about Bushcraft and if ive caused any offence i apologise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE