Best price for an F&S British Army fighting knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Iam trying to find a genuine issue British Army F&S fighting knife for a friend(its not for me,honest)what is the best and cheapest place to buy one.And does anyone know if its legal to post knives to Norway.As i do not want to shell out,post it only for it to be impounded by Norwegian customs ect.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks Adi007,but £160 is a little more than what i had in mind. :shock:

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Wilkinson was the contractor for the original MOD Type D military knife. IMO, they made far and away the best (full convex grind; fully tempered; comfortable handle). However, other makers (e.g., Rogers, Hopkinson) got the contract later (lower bid, no doubt) and made/make fullly "official" Type D knives. A site noted above sells one such for 40 GBP. These later versions get progressivly more horrible reviews as weapons and tools.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Martyn said:
Wilkinson Sword are the only makers of the "real" FS knife - all the others are copies. If you want the genuine article, you'll have to pay for it. If you're happy with a cheap copy, take your pick from the plethora of Chinese knives out there. :wink:

I've been told Reg Cooper has the contract (from a mate of his who sells knives). I would also like to say that there is middle ground in the way of the more expenive models made by Reg Cooper and Jack Adams. These come in at about £60 and sem nice to me. They are also british rather then a chinese copy.

leon-1

tomtom, it is the world war two commando knife, the Royal Marines have an embroidered image of it on a shoulder patch.

The handle is wasp bodied, straight crossgaurd and stilleto blade. It has absolutely no use in Bushcraft and was intended for one thing alone as are all stilleto's (they used to be used to defeat the multiple layers of clothing that people wore to protect against a slashing attack in the old days). :)

Originals are quite highly prized by collectors, but it is also one of the most heavilly copied knives in the world and as such copies are freely available pretty much anywhere in the world. :wave:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Martyn said:
Wilkinson Sword are the only makers of the "real" FS knife - all the others are copies. If you want the genuine article, you'll have to pay for it. If you're happy with a cheap copy, take your pick from the plethora of Chinese knives out there. :wink:
I should have wrote,its a little more than my budget will allow.

Anyone know if the FS from www.sheffieldknives.co.uk is a real one or a replica.Its for a mate of mine in the Norwegian army,hes a real British Army enthusiast,reckons our forces are the best in the world and was all set to move to England,live here for the time needed and then enlist,but you know how plans are and how they can be altered by our better halves :eek:): .

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
The ones from there clem are blades which come from one forge (as most do) The forge is owned by J Rodgers of sheffield. A few makers have ben given the right to make MOD issue stuff. I could go into a fair amount of detail with this as I've delt with a few of them. I don't thick this is the place to do it though so if you want to talk about it feel free to pm me any questions.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
CLEM said:
.......And does anyone know if its legal to post knives to Norway.As i do not want to shell out,post it only for it to be impounded by Norwegian customs ect.
Perfectly legal. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you dont send butterfly knives, flickknives, stilletos etc. There have been talk about putting restrictions on large "Rambo knives" too, but there's nothing of that sort yet.
Anything with a value of above 250 Norwegian Kroner (about £ 21) will have vat added, if you mark the package as a "gift" then the item can have a value of 500 Norwegian Kroner (£ 42) before vat is added. Mind you that the values are including postage though.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Tvividr said:
Perfectly legal. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you dont send butterfly knives, flickknives, stilletos etc. There have been talk about putting restrictions on large "Rambo knives" too, but there's nothing of that sort yet.
Anything with a value of above 250 Norwegian Kroner (about £ 21) will have vat added, if you mark the package as a "gift" then the item can have a value of 500 Norwegian Kroner (£ 42) before vat is added. Mind you that the values are including postage though.
Thanks Tvividr. :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
CLEM said:
I should have wrote,its a little more than my budget will allow.

Anyone know if the FS from www.sheffieldknives.co.uk is a real one or a replica.Its for a mate of mine in the Norwegian army,hes a real British Army enthusiast,reckons our forces are the best in the world and was all set to move to England,live here for the time needed and then enlist,but you know how plans are and how they can be altered by our better halves :eek:): .

If he just wants a FS style knife, then that would be fine. If your mate wants a piece of Brtitish history, then it has to be Wilkinjson Sword. In conjuction with Fairbairn and Sykes, Wilkinson made and issued the first FS knife to British Commando's. It may be that many people have a licence to make them today, they are also hundreds of unlicenced copies - but there is only one original. If you cant afford that, just buy the best value for money copy you can find - if it inst Wilkinson Sword, it's a copy of a Wilkinson Sword. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE