Best knife for whittling?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That said though, it's not without its drawbacks. The points on them are very flimsy and the locking mechanism is pretty feeble (yet still UK illegal as far as I'm aware?); I've had it fold on my fingers many a time and have worn the plasters to prove it.

I'm trying to imagine doing anything that would make the lock fail. I think the blade would snap first, unless your locking ring is loose and has rotated round to the 'unlocked' position.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
I'm trying to imagine doing anything that would make the lock fail. I think the blade would snap first, unless your locking ring is loose and has rotated round to the 'unlocked' position.

I suspect you're right about it actually failing. Mine certainly isn't difficult to turn (and certainly isn't radically different to the other Opinels I've used, as I recall), but the way that I rest my index finger is what seems to rotate it. Might just be me, I guess.

It's a decent locking mechanism, admittedly. I think friction folding is a better idea, but then again the no. 8 wouldn't be my choice of EDC anyway even if it were legal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE