Best cheese in the world

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@PoppyD

oz8GfHY5b9hkTmYEfx3aSz330drNF4vhBRVc8EHe10EMhElNzVzi5AzQXRtudLOd6KHVzinNd5NEsAYzQWUcmaPIbnXP7sM7Ts3brHVWjohvToz_SCLl68dEhQ7Ehba7BA1jkg8

Thumbs up or down? Bought it but haven´t tried it yet.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My grocery shopper bought me about 2" of sliced, no-name Swiss cheese.
Is it ever good! Must have taken at least 4-5 slices to make certain before I could build the hot Reuben sandwiches.

I think the correct question is to ask for the superior cheese(s) of each district/region. Just one forever seems awfully dull.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Did they happen to mention what sort of wood they used as the smoke source?
I run apple wood in my smoker BBQ. Smoked cheeses ought to be fairly simple to DIY. Any other sort of scrap fruit wood is OK. I'll try something along with the next chicken or ribs.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mesquite and hickory wood smokes are popular across the United States but I find them too bitter tasting. Many places up here in the Pacific Northwest over smoke the food almost acrid creosote smell. I want to be just a little more subtle.
I like all the fruit woods, apple in particular for the aroma it lends to just about any meaty thing I've done in the BBQ.

I have a Breville smoke pistol to use in my kitchen oven. Works OK but weak.

Alder has been the smoke wood of choice for salmon for the past few thousands of years. Good on clams and oysters, too. Just so happened to have a serious feed of smoked mussels last night!

The entire west coast got killed off at the end of last June. We had a heat dome with temps in the mid-40's. It just so happened that the very worst day, the very hottest afternoon, coincided with a low tide. All the intertidal mussels with their blue-black shells got cooked to death. Thousands of square km of intertidal zone rock. Now we are seing the backlash without the water filtering function that they performed. All dead and rotting, instead.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've used ash and cherry personally, they both seem good to me but I'm no expert- I think my preference was for cherry... but that could be down to my smoking technique than any change in flavour. The oak stuff seems good and subtle.

I'll have to give alder a go next time I'm planning on smoking anything.

That's a real shame about the coastal die off. I'm scared we might get something similar happening here, we get some big tidal ranges in certain spots that have a huge shellfish biomass such as Morecombe bay.

We get advised to only pick shellfish in months with an 'R' to try and avoid shellfish poisoning due to there in take of toxic algae in the summer months, but with climate change will this get extended? Likely I think.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Shh, don't tell anyone, as a self-confessed cheese snob, I can't believe I'm writing this. But this is a safe space right?
(this public forum)

I tried Primula Jalapeño the other day, and I really liked it!

There, I've said it.

• Haha
Reactions: crosslandkelly

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Just got back from visiting Smarts cheese again. After not being able to go to the cheese rolling this year, we thought we’d visit the farm on holiday and see the process.

Fantastic!!

Attachments

• 65504581-A976-4299-8094-8B3CBDF6875C.jpeg
    65504581-A976-4299-8094-8B3CBDF6875C.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE