Berghaus Vulcan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
As it is the BEST Bergen in the galaxy, there should be more than me who owns one. Have been trying to get my friend to see past the bulkiness and heaviness of it for a while.

So who all has one, and why do you like it?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have two. :)

One had been my go to bag for over 2 decades, travelling all over the world with me, it is now retired and holds my Helsport Lavvu.

My new one has started it's travels already. :) Bomb proof

A few who attend the Midland's Meets are also fans:

berghaus9.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have one, just the right size for winter use, tougher than a tough thing. Yes it is heavy but durability comes at a price.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Keep meaning to do the front pocket mod on mine, I has modded the side ones, by adding extra pocket on top.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Comfy, huge and built like a tank, use mine in the winter when I like to take everything including the kitchen sink. It has been said about me that I would sell my own mother.... I wouldn't sell my vulcan..:)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Comfy, huge and built like a tank, use mine in the winter when I like to take everything including the kitchen sink. It has been said about me that I would sell my own mother.... I wouldn't sell my vulcan..:)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

lol..:lmao:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I really like mine. took it for a spin last week and is taking a little getting use to. The shoulder adjustments being looped are new to me. I am a little unsure of the top zip facing backwards as all other bags I have had face front or side. The belt buckle is new to me too. I doesn't seem to weigh anymore than my lowe alpine sting empty. All in all I am liking this bag.

I might do the front pouch mod but use a molle panel karrimor are doing.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
I was out with mine this morning. Fantastic bag, I have yet to fill it right up and I suspect if I did I wouldn't be able to lift the thing!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've had a Vulcan for over 10 years now, and have taken it all over the place, usually by train.

I like the fact it has a handle on both sides. The rear facing zip on the top pocket is lovely as it means you can get a travelling companion to put things in the pocket without having to remove the very very heavy backpack.

You can wear it over the top of a set of PLCE webbing without much issue.

And of course it's bomb proof. I got mine second hand, previous owner was the Dutch Para's...

Only 2 downsides I have found

- If you put PLCE side pockets on it, it doesn't fit through the X ray scanners for the eurostar, meaning you have to take them off to get it through
- Being so big, you can easily and quickly over fill it. Just because it allows you to carry the best part of 100lb, doesn't mean to say it's a good idea to do so.

I do love my Vulcan, and I do use it for trips where I need that volume/weight.

Thanks

Julia

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've recently bought one for winter trips...first impressions are good.

I added reflective paracord zipper pulls to make it more visible at night and to make opening with gloves on easier.

20131124_114113_zps60fc5867.jpg

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
I use one of these, and also a Lowe Alpine Sting. I thought the Sting was amazing when I got it, and especially liked the molle panel on the front. The Vulcan tho in terms of comfort is unrivalled, the back padding and straps are just simply the best I've tried so far. I'm currently trying to find where I can get some webbing sewn onto the front to make a molle panel. Easy if you have an industrial sewing machine. If I achieve this I will put some pics up for all you guys to look at.
Has anyone done this already I wonder?

I also have the bigger brother to this, the crusader with the molle panel on already, but that thing is huge, and more often than not I find myself going for the Vulcan.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Odd one out Me!

Just could not get on with the zip compartment at the bottom when packing my bivi bag.

Found the older Crusader version and use that though (1st model)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Got rid of my excellent Vulcan 2 in favour of a Karrimor 60-100 which had one of the side compression zips go on first use. I am to carry out the Peddars Way and North Norfolk coastal walk next June non stop camping out and deeply regret getting rid of my Vulcan. Fantastic pack, much lighter. More simple and utterly bomb proof pack. Looking also at the Fjallraven Kajka which also looks great. Torn between my Sabre 45 and a new pack!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE