Berghaus Vulcan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What is the small rolled pouch thing above the lid fastening straps?
It's an air marker panel...basically a rectangle of hi viz orange fabric that unrolls and fastens to the bottom straps of the Bergan.

I started carrying it after someone asked how I would be seen if I needed help, as all my gear is subdued, earthy colours.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's an air marker panel...basically a rectangle of hi viz orange fabric that unrolls and fastens to the bottom straps of the Bergan.

I started carrying it after someone asked how I would be seen if I needed help, as all my gear is subdued, earthy colours.

Sorry for the slight thread hijac, could you link me to where you got it? that sounds like a really good idea, all my gear is earthy tones.

Thanks

J

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I really like mine. took it for a spin last week and is taking a little getting use to. The shoulder adjustments being looped are new to me. I am a little unsure of the top zip facing backwards as all other bags I have had face front or side. The belt buckle is new to me too. I doesn't seem to weigh anymore than my lowe alpine sting empty. All in all I am liking this bag.

I might do the front pouch mod but use a molle panel karrimor are doing.

I was just thinking the same thing this morning, either this:

http://www.karrimorsf.com/predator/item/45-predator-side-pocket-plce.html

or this:

http://www.karrimorsf.com/predator/item/87-predator-side-pocket-double-omni-plce.html

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry for the slight thread hijac, could you link me to where you got it? that sounds like a really good idea, all my gear is earthy tones.

Thanks

J

A small mylar rescue blankey will accomplish the same purpose (most are silver on one side and blaze orange on the other) They are also radar reflective, small in size when folded (about the size of a packet of cigarettes) cheap, and easily sorced.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Got rid of my excellent Vulcan 2 in favour of a Karrimor 60-100 which had one of the side compression zips go on first use. I am to carry out the Peddars Way and North Norfolk coastal walk next June non stop camping out and deeply regret getting rid of my Vulcan. Fantastic pack, much lighter. More simple and utterly bomb proof pack. Looking also at the Fjallraven Kajka which also looks great. Torn between my Sabre 45 and a new pack!?

Hey K
I'd be up for the peddlers way, I'm going the ultralight route, bought a gossamer gear G4 backpack weighs 1.5lb and is 65ltr. I will be bringing it to the Suffolk meet next weekend. Too old to be carrying that army bergan around. After 20 miles every pound feels like 3.
zyre3eme.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Guys

Would somebody who has done the front pocket mod be able to put some close up pics of it on here. Be handy to see whereabouts the zips go exactly etc....

Cheers

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Great stuff Paul. I'll let you know dates I'm going. Agree with you re the weight issue. Trying to get the load reduced by different combinations, I'm getting there. Bivi with no tent and tarp methinks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE