Berghaus Vulcan/Crusader or Karrimor Saber ????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I got a Vulcan from endicotts for £70 plus a third 15 lt pouch. IMO it's just a little too big for general bushcraft use or wild campin for 2/3 nights I'm just too tempted to fill it up with expensive toys I'll not use hen I'm out camping :0)

Goon going to be looking at a snugpack rocket for next year.

Good pack though, solid well built and I find reasonably comfy but it is a bit on the heavey side

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't forget theres the Berghaus Atlas to concider to ,,,,, :D

I was fairly happy with mine, but the side pockets are crap -- or at least were when I got mine in the 90's -- and the zippers died after just 10 years. If the Vulcan can take the PLCE style side pockets I may go that way myself for my next large size pack (the alternative under consideration is a sabre 75).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a vulcan and a predator 45, the vulcan is better made I doubt that the predator would last as long if it had the same treatment.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I got a Vulcan from endicotts for £70 plus a third 15 lt pouch. IMO it's just a little too big for general bushcraft use or wild campin for 2/3 nights I'm just too tempted to fill it up with expensive toys I'll not use hen I'm out camping :0)

Goon going to be looking at a snugpack rocket for next year.

Good pack though, solid well built and I find reasonably comfy but it is a bit on the heavey side

If your referring to the Snugpak Bergen with rocket packs then i have one which ive had from new.
It is very big at 100ltr with pockets on and i haven't been very happy with mine at all.
Various stitching has pulled and come lose, the alloy frame is too big for the pack and i had to grind half inch off each of mine. The plastic end caps on the frame will detach and jam in the channels which is a right pain and the mesh side pockets which are visible when the rocket pockets are removes ripped on first use with just a Nalgene bottle.
Backpack doesn't have adjustable back (contrary to some website descriptions) and the hip belt could be better.
I'm very unhappy with mine so i thought i would share.

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Some great info there. Thanks ladies and gents.

Quite tempted by a Vulcan myself now, just need to find a size 4 for reasonable money second hand. My no name 80L is a little long in the tooth.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I've a Vulcan and don't really like it. Got a |Lowe Saracen which I love and my PLCE is less comfy but a lot more user firendly.

If only they had put the Vulcan back system on a PLCE.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Have you seen any of the Wisport bergens.
I have just bought the Reindeer 75L and its very good for the price.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
If your referring to the Snugpak Bergen with rocket packs then i have one which ive had from new.
It is very big at 100ltr with pockets on and i haven't been very happy with mine at all.
Various stitching has pulled and come lose, the alloy frame is too big for the pack and i had to grind half inch off each of mine. The plastic end caps on the frame will detach and jam in the channels which is a right pain and the mesh side pockets which are visible when the rocket pockets are removes ripped on first use with just a Nalgene bottle.
Backpack doesn't have adjustable back (contrary to some website descriptions) and the hip belt could be better.
I'm very unhappy with mine so i thought i would share.

No, I think Lukes referring to the SnugPak RocketPak which is not same as the SnugPak Bergen. The rocketpak is a 45ltr bag with 2x15 side pockets. Its a great pack but think it was designed with webbing belt in mind because the waist straps are little high. Still does the job though and is quite comfy. I use this myself if not walking far or my Osprey Exos if wanting to go lighter.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I looked hard at the Vulcan too really liked the look and its reputation.... but as Juggernaut indicates it is a very big and heavy pack. After weighing up all the possibles I ended up opting for the Lowe Alpine Sting. You can still get DPM ones on the net...
Brilliant pack, comfy and very strong. But more importantly carries all I need for a two or three nighter and is not too huge....

Cheers
Gareth

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I used a Vulcan on long term loan for about 6 years in the military, including a very difficult course in Brecon carrying alot of weight over long distances, plenty of exercises and 2 tours of Afghan- worked flawlessly and was a very comfy and robust bergan. I'm a firm believer in Molle for armour, fighting rigs, daysacks etc but there is no real need on a bergan and I would always recommend the Vulcan over some more modern alternatives. Make sure you get the right size to split the weight between shoulder and hips and your set.
They are so good that even though the one I had looked battered the original owner refused to sell it to me and asked for it back when I left the army, he said the wear and tear added character !

+1
Vulcan for definite. I have had one for 11 years or so and it's still going strong. Just be certain that the back measurements are correct.

Do Not Demand What You Cannot Take By Force

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I too love the Berghaus vulcan, I used to have a cyclops roc and that lasted years of abuse before selling to a mate. Three years ago I bought a vulcan and the bomb proof build quality is still there even though they are made in China now. If I am heading out for a few days I take the side pouches off to stop me trying to drag my entire kit collection along.

I bought mine from Simply Hike as they were the cheapest stockist at the time. No affiliation etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE