Berghaus Crusader MMPS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Knowing the Vulcan as a stand up piece of kit, I'm geniunely curious as to whether or not the new Crusader MMPS is worthy of a purchase? Seeing as I'm in the market for a new pack, and knowing the origins that Berghaus delivers, I cant help but wonder if the new MMPS is as good as - or perhaps even better than the Vulcan?

I haven't found any reviews on it, so hoping for someone with first-hand experience here :)

Link to Berghaus' store:

http://store.berghaus.com/webapp/wc...catalogId=10252&productId=304289&cm_cr=X-SELL

Regards from Denmark
Bstone

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Fizzy beat me to the thread link.

I have a Vulcan and did some research on the Atlas and the Crusader MMPS. Berghaus seem to have combined features of the Vulcan and Atlas and added a few more ie the front MOLLE, clips on the side pouches and some other nice touches.

The pics in the thread might show you more than the stock photos.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
TwoDogs had one:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67842&p=848747#post848747

He liked it, but sold it on. Perhaps he or its new owner could give you more details

I bought it off him.
I have only used it twice and then not rammed full or beaten the carp out of it, so can't give a long term view of it, but I have had Army Bergans, other seriously well-made kit such as Kifaru Zulu, Lowe Alpine Saracen etc. This one seems as well made as you would hope for from such a prestigious background.
The only whine that people have had is that neither PLCE or older Berghaus pockets fit the side zips, but the MMS pockets are £30 a pair so it's no biggie really.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
@ Everyone

Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I might have to try out a crusader.

Beachlover:
You've tried both the Kifaru Zulu and the Lowe Saracen? How would you say the Crusader compares to the two?

Regards from Denmark
Bstone

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
@ Everyone

Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I might have to try out a crusader.

Beachlover:
You've tried both the Kifaru Zulu and the Lowe Saracen? How would you say the Crusader compares to the two?

Regards from Denmark
Bstone

In a short summary, Kif was bombproof, but smaller, Wish I'd kept the Saracen now, but the Crusader is not far off and it has the floating lid that I can detach and use as a separate bag for bits and pieces once settled, and the pockets fit my Centurio, so it works for me ;)

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
In a short summary, Kif was bombproof, but smaller, Wish I'd kept the Saracen now, but the Crusader is not far off and it has the floating lid that I can detach and use as a separate bag for bits and pieces once settled, and the pockets fit my Centurio, so it works for me ;)

What made the Saracen the superior bag in your opinion?

Regards from Denmark
Bstone

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I was sold then by the fact that the crusader has plce clips on the pouches and pack! Then I read that plce pouches don't fit...... What's the point then! Why bother doing half the plce mods on the vulcan and half on the crusader!!!! I have a vulcan and the first thing I did was replace all zips cords with reflective para cord. Replaced the lid pull cord locks with the issue bergen versions and then replace as many buckles as possible with the issue ones. Its a brand new vulcan and you can feel that their quality has diminshed a little bit over the years but I guess that's to be expected.

The one thing the vulcan really lacks for me is the plce clips on the bags sides. I've got an issue camelbak that as the female clips on it specifically so it can fit onto the side of bergens under the side pouches. I've had to use the extra straps the vulcan came with to fix it to the front instead. Not a huge problem but not as easy to take on and off.

Another small issue is that I don't understand why they put plce compatible big chunky zips on the sides and then tiny pastic civi zips for the top poclet and bottom entrance...... Its obvious they are going to give way first! The first thing I did when I got it was swop the pouches for issue ones. You can tell the quality difference blind folded. Big plce zipsz, heavy duty material vs lighter weight material and tiny zips. The straps for the vulcan side pouches are more of a gimmick than a solution whereas I'd wear issue yoke for extended periods of time and can clip my camelbak into it as well. If anyone wants the side pouches, I will be putting them on evilbay/open to offers.

The reason I went for a new vulcan instead of the crusader was because every time I tried to buy it from berghaus it was out of stock. I bought an arete 45 for ice climbing in october and in february it disintergrated. So I sent it back and they agreed to give me £65 off my next purchase and free postage. £115 is pretty good going! (180-65 =115 (postage free))

Overall the vulcan is going to be a great bag. Feels nice and will last. It better do as I work in the jungle for very long periods and will kill someone if it breaks.

Most of that was off topic.... I guess my point was that if they have corrected the flaws of the vulcan and then created new flaws with the crusader then a bit of molle really doesn't make up for those short comings.... Am I being too harsh? At the end of the day I need something tried, tested and bomber.... That's why I went for the vulcan again.

P.s: bergahus customer services are pretty damn good! Well worth chatting to, might be worth emailing them asking about the differences and or which would better suit your needs and budget....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE