Berghaus Vulcan/Crusader or Karrimor Saber ????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I'd go for the Vulcan too, the only problem with the Lowe Alpine bergens is their weight they are full of features but heavy bags. I have Lowe Alpine bags, Karrimor and berghaus and a few others and although simple in features you can not go wrong with the Vulcan totally solid and will last for ages and put up with a lot of abuse.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Big Stu

I'll have my old Vulcan with me this weekend at the Sussex meet, and you're welcome to have a play

Cheers

Hi, thank you for that, I'll be there testing Sacks all weekend, best thing to do IMO, also a good way of seeing how different people pack there gear.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Stu

As you know I have the Berghaus cyclops 2, the main advantage I think is it can carry a lot of kit and is very robust, but also having had a pack like the Karrimor they are a bit more versatile and will pack down well with compression straps and the shoulder straps and waist belt have slightly more adjustment to them.

Reg
Rum

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
If you want a olive green and rugged bergan the vulcan looks great. If you want to carry weight any distance I would personally go with one of the canvas macpac numbers. Something like the cascade. I have had one for 11 years now and it is extremely hard wearing and in my opinion the back system is years ahead of the vulcan.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Anyone know of crusader/vulcan stockists around the East Grinstead area? I really want to have a play and try them on, get a feel for them. Cotswald outdoor in T wells don't hold stock of the vulcan, and don't sell the crusader. I'm struggling to find others who sell them, other than online.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu

As you know I have the Berghaus cyclops 2, the main advantage I think is it can carry a lot of kit and is very robust, but also having had a pack like the Karrimor they are a bit more versatile and will pack down well with compression straps and the shoulder straps and waist belt have slightly more adjustment to them.

Reg
Rum

Hi Tony,

Yeah I like the look of your pack, I'll have to have a better look this weekend it will be good to compare all the packs meantioned here, I think I know which one I perfer look wise, will prob go with something tried and tested... I like the Karrimor and have had a few over the years, Hot earth Hot ice, Had a Jag at one time and brought a Discovery which as you know i still use, but think its about time for a change, and replace the wearing Discovery, as its the only one I have left.

So far the Vulcan is winning from recomendiations, The one I realy like is the Crusader, This weekend will finalise my choice, and all personal experiances from peep's on here helps.

THank you all so far for your help

Stu

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Anyone know of crusader/vulcan stockists around the East Grinstead area? I really want to have a play and try them on, get a feel for them. Cotswald outdoor in T wells don't hold stock of the vulcan, and don't sell the crusader. I'm struggling to find others who sell them, other than online.

I've seen them in Peglars in Arundel before- although you would need to phone them to check first. If you havn't been to Peglars before, you ought to!

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Thanks LP.

I've not been to peglars for years now, I try not to, as it always ends up costing a lot of money!!

I'll give them a call. The only down side to Peglars, is that it's 46 miles away!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Thanks LP.

I've not been to peglars for years now, I try not to, as it always ends up costing a lot of money!!

I'll give them a call. The only down side to Peglars, is that it's 46 miles away!

Ah yes, but the Peglars are a family of Scouters, and Arundel is worth a visit every now and then on it's own merits!

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Couldn't agree more, the castle is stunning. I've even had the pleasure of having dinner in the barons hall. I might suggest to the wife that we day trip down there on Sat.
I think I have made up my mind as much as I can without holding one, in that I'll be heading down the Berghaus route, so either the vulcan of the crusader.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I used a Vulcan on long term loan for about 6 years in the military, including a very difficult course in Brecon carrying alot of weight over long distances, plenty of exercises and 2 tours of Afghan- worked flawlessly and was a very comfy and robust bergan. I'm a firm believer in Molle for armour, fighting rigs, daysacks etc but there is no real need on a bergan and I would always recommend the Vulcan over some more modern alternatives. Make sure you get the right size to split the weight between shoulder and hips and your set.
They are so good that even though the one I had looked battered the original owner refused to sell it to me and asked for it back when I left the army, he said the wear and tear added character !

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Darn it, called Peglars, they don't stock Berghaus, so asked about Karrimor SF range, was told that they don't stock them either because they are a field and trek brand.

Fair point about the MOLLE Scopey. Although I do like the idea of the ladder section on the Crusader, as my Crusader cookset came in a MOLLE pouch, and could attach it on the back for nive easy access.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I found the sabre narrowed at the entrance enough to annoy that I went to berghaus cyclops II vulcan for large loads.

I use berghaus munro and centurio for smaller loads.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Darn it, called Peglars, they don't stock Berghaus, so asked about Karrimor SF range, was told that they don't stock them either because they are a field and trek brand.

Fair point about the MOLLE Scopey. Although I do like the idea of the ladder section on the Crusader, as my Crusader cookset came in a MOLLE pouch, and could attach it on the back for nive easy access.

That is a shame- it was years ago that i saw one in there. They are correct on the majority of karrimor stuff that its owned by field and trek/sports direct, but not on the Karrimor SF Range- which is a different company (PRI) using the name under licence.

I must admit, i tend to agree with Scopey about MOLLE, with the possible exception that I think it's application on even daysacks is a little questionable...

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
I was introduced to the Berghaus range by an ex service buddy of mine who swears by then and have Berghaus Vulcan II, the new Crusader 90-120 and the Centurio 30 as a day pack which can take the Crusader side pouches. Have to say IMHO I can't rate them highly enough and certainly wouldn't go back to anything else. Excellent load platform and a pleasure to wear for a big pack, personally I prefer the Crusader as the sleeping bag section at the bottom is bigger than the Vulcan plus there is Molle webbing should you need it, especially if like me you like water bottle and first aid kit easily accessible on the pack.
Anyway that's my two penneth and hope it helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE