200 pound budget - Blind buy rucksack!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Hi guys!

I'm in a world of hurt here. I've got 200 pounds to spend on a rucksack, and I just cant make up my mind.

I will have to blind buy a pack, seeing as I live in Denmark, and have absolutely no way of trying on any of the packs Im actually interested in.

The packs I'm considering are the following:

Berghaus Vulcan
Berghaus Crusader MMPS
Karrimor Sabre (either 75, 60-100 or 80-130 - leaning towards last one, just don't know if it would be too big)
Lowe Alpine Saracen
Tasmanian Tiger Range Pack

Feel free to leave your comments.

The adjustable back system of the TT and the adjustable Sabres seems like the way to go, seeing as I wouldnt be able to try on any of the packs for size?

Let me know what you think. I'll need to order my new pack within the next few days! :)

Ps.
Already asked for info on the Crusader MMPS in this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-72605.html?

Regards

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a berghaus crusader, a bit beat up (and there is a big oil stain on the padding, but Ill get that cleaned off.

You may have it to try. If you like it, you are free to keep it, if not, I would like it back.

That should save you what to me would be a small fortune.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a Lowe Alpine Saracen , great Back System , but you pay for it in the extra weight if empty or light as theres no such thing as a Free lunch.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i would go for lowe alpine as i watched a demo on them in cotswolds good back ajustment regards dave

Vulcan had mine 20 yrs before i sold it (didnt need the massive carrying capacity any more)

was and still is the best most comfy carry for loads. well padded hip belt to transfer the wright to your pelvis and get it off your shoulders/Spine

you will need to get it fitted they come in set sizes 1 to 4 (well they used to) and you need to get it right

only disadvantage for military types is its a long back with a good belt so wont go above a webbing belt any sense (fine with a chest rig tho)

ATB

Duncan

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Tengu - Provided that shipping to Denmark won't cost a complete fortune, I would be a darn fool not to take you up on your offer! PM incoming!

@ Rest of you

Thank you so much for the advice!

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i had and used for 20 mile hike a karrimor sf 60-100 ltr
seems very large looking at it and it did come in at 5 kg empty
but fully loaded with 20 kg of kit seemed heavy to lift but once on it was very comfortable
even after a long day unlike others ive used berghaus inc
plus i liked the fact that once it zipped up and compressed it went down to 60 ltr which was good for a weekend
and then opened out to 100 ltr for longer trips plus i think the newer versions are compatable with plce side pockets giving you a ferther 20 ltr
am 6 foot with a medium build fitted me great
i sold it in the end to a guy after i finnished with it and he was also very happy with it
plus he was happy to give me nearly my full money back for it aswell and you carnt say that much nowerdays
hope this helps

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have a 70+15 Lowe Alpine Contour III. Heavy by today's standards, but bullet proof and amazingly comfortable. adjustable back system. If the new LAs are anything like as good as the old ones, then you won't be disappointed. I got mine in a garage sale for USD 25, so I don't even know just how old it is, but ot has a ot of life left in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE