Vulcan quality dropped?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hey :)

Reet i have had my mind set on a Berghaus Vulcan 1 (i don't see the point in £50 extra for mmps zips, aka the vulcan 2). I contacted a company that sells the Vulcan 2 with a desired modification to see if they offer it on the Vulcan 1 (since it is still available new elsewhere).

What i got in reply was a bit unexpected, i am not sure whether they are giving me sales pitch or actually being honest. I hope maybe some of you who own a recent Vulcan could steer me on this a bit please?

Here is the relevant part of the reply i got, in context:

"We are actually planning to drop the Vulcans soon as we're hoping to introduce a much tougher and way more comfortable range. They are still in development at the moment so I don't know the exact date. We have found though that the reliability of the Vulcans has dropped dramatically over the past year and they just don't seem to be as 'up to the job' as they used to be."

I'll be honest i have not found a bad review of a vulcan that was logical, although most pre-date the past year. This is the first bad word i have seen on one and it lacks any useful detail to be quite honest.

Maybe berghaus have exported production or something has changed in the past year? Maybe i just need to be careful where i get one from? Maybe the Vulcan 2 has been pants lately but the vulcan 1's are still well made? Maybe they stand to profit more off another line of bags and are exaggerating/fibbing.. I don't really trust anyone who is trying to sell me something for good reason :p

I ain't rich, i have the one bag purchase to last a few years of solid use, it will get used very often. I'll be honest, i have to make the correct choice first time round and this has thrown me off track. I was ready to order one on monday.

Any input/guidance would be great :) My mind was set, it was the right bag for me, hopefully it still should be? I am open to another bag if need be, just not a karrimor or similar (imo) over priced high street style bag. I like my stuff basic/utilitarian and well built.

Cheers, Stu

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think they have been made in China for a while now, certainly longer than just a year.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Whilst I've no knowledge of the Vulcan or how it is made, or indeed where in China, a friend of mine designs and imports from China and the decline of quality in one factory is not all that unusual as personnel change in the factory. He has twice changed factories to maintain standards. No idea or knowledge if that is true or not for the Vulcan however. Just a thought, I've always thought Berghaus to be pretty decent kit all round.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Interesting, just got this as i was drafting my reply to you all:
"We don't have any photos yet, and they are going to be more expensive, more akin to Karrimor predator range. Multicam and plenty of molle webbing etc. As I said, it's a way off yet and in the meantime we do still have the Vulcan 2. It may just be that the lads that have been using them recently have been overly abusing them, I know for example that a lot were used on selection courses and were given a real pounding."

So it seems the initial blast of the vulcan wasn't necessarily justified. This time their replacement is 'way off' opposed to 'I don't know the exact date' so it wouldn't make much sense to persuade me to wait for a bag that could be a while off yet. Can't help but feel a bit more consideration should have gone into the wording of their first email to me but whatever, they have been a bit too quick to bash berghaus in favour of their upcoming product at the very least.. There is still the logical flaw of why they would drop a well reputed utilitarian bag to be replaced with something 'more expensive, more akin to the Karrimor predator range' off what they say themselves could be user misuse. I ain't going to take them too seriously now.

Think they have been made in China for a while now, certainly longer than just a year.

Whilst I've no knowledge of the Vulcan or how it is made, or indeed where in China, a friend of mine designs and imports from China and the decline of quality in one factory is not all that unusual as personnel change in the factory. He has twice changed factories to maintain standards. No idea or knowledge if that is true or not for the Vulcan however. Just a thought, I've always thought Berghaus to be pretty decent kit all round.

Jared, So that should further rule out it being a consistent issue in my head, the time frames don't fit for major production changes and the quality issues. Mertz excellent point! What you say is completely logical and if there indeed where quality issues in reality this is a sensible and realistic explanation. Berghaus also say it is still 1000D fabric, so it makes sense really that the quality ain't dropped. I too have always viewed berghaus as quality kit, never seen a poorly made item by them.

Never trust somebody who is trying to sell you something :)

You can get the original Vulcan for £99 online.

That was exactly the way i thought i should view it, i will feel less guilty now :D
I seen that for £99 last night (shop-outdoors.co.uk?), it's a really good price tbh. Will have to do the additional front zips myself now anyway since the company i mailed cant get the original vulcan and add zips, so i might as well go with the cheapest shop. Can anyone vouch for shop-outdoors as not being a nightmare company?

Or get a secondhand Vulcan

That was my original plan, until i found just how hard it is to come by one in a size 4 >< I'm on waiting lists, but was told not to hold up.. lol.

If you want a bombproof sack buy a used Aiguille Alpine sack off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIGUILLE-...ackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item27d985f2db

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a pack that i ain't come across yet. Tbh though it is not big enough by a long shot at 65L. It's also kinda what i would call high street opposed to utilitarian so not very me but it does look good quality. If any major warnings come up on the vulcan on this forum before i buy i will give this brand a closer look, compromise will be back on the table ifthe unlikely happens but it seems i don't need to worry after all now :)

Looks like i can carry on being excited for a vulcan pack now, roll on next week. :headbang:

Really appreciate the input, thanks very much everyone :) Stu

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hey :)

Here is the relevant part of the reply i got, in context:

"We are actually planning to drop the Vulcans soon as we're hoping to introduce a much tougher and way more comfortable range. They are still in development at the moment so I don't know the exact date. We have found though that the reliability of the Vulcans has dropped dramatically over the past year and they just don't seem to be as 'up to the job' as they used to be."

Cheers, Stu

With my retail head on, that sounds like they are developing their own bag- produce at cost and retail for less than the Vulcan at more profit.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got one last year & have yet to use it. Don't know where you are, but if in the east mids you are welcome to inspect it & see what you think before committing to one.

Rob

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
NW + SE are my normal locations, i rarely end up in the mids so a bit far out woof. Very kind of you to offer though, thank you :) Since you picked it up relatively recently i would be daft not to ask what where your own impressions of the stitch work/fabric etc?

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I got mine from Shop Outdoors a few weeks ago. I got some bug spray as well to get the free shipping on orders over £100. They arrived quickly without any fuss. I will be taking it out this weekend, if I find any problems I will shout up.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I got mine from Shop Outdoors a few weeks ago. I got some bug spray as well to get the free shipping on orders over £100. They arrived quickly without any fuss. I will be taking it out this weekend, if I find any problems I will shout up.

Cheers, that would be appreciated. Nice one for the pointer on the shipping too, gives me an excuse to get a little something extra :D

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Checked it all over, & can't find any defects. I find it comfy, though been any distance with it, but to me it feels fine.

Rob

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Cheers rob, much appreciated! :)

On a side note, i'm thinking about getting a hydration pack for it too while i'm at it. Does anyone know if it will accept one off the shelf, and if not, is it easy to make one fit? I aint seen what's inside a Vulcan bar the lower compartment, so i have no idea.

Stu

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
It is not made to be hydration compatible. There is no internal pouch for a bladder or hole for a tube. You could easily put a bladder in the top compartment and run the house out of the corner so it wasn't an issue for me.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Not tried it myself but I believe it's also possible to tuck a bladder in between one of the rocket pouches and the main bag...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE