Berghaus Vulcan/Crusader or Karrimor Saber ????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
After loads of advice on BCUK ( thank you all) to steer me away from Wetex, and looking on tinterweb, I am now I am swinging between these three, .

Berghaus Vulcan
http://store.berghaus.com/p/equipment/men-s-vulcan-rucksack/461218

Berghaus Crusader
http://store.berghaus.com/p/equipment/crusader-90-20-mmps-rucksack/434644

Karrimor Saber
http://karrimorsf.com/expedition-products/item/15-sabre-60-100-plce.html

All constrcutive Comments welcome, I know which one is fave so far but it may change with people advice and comments.

I like the idea of the flexibilty of being to add and take away storage when/if required.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have the Sabre 60-100, and rate it pretty well. It is a little more features rich than the berghaus- if that is your thing, whilst the weights all are heavy) are pretty much the same. The karrimor has a slightly more sophisticated back system, making it infinitely adjustable for height, whilst the berghaus offerings require you to buy one of (i think 4) pre set sizes. My choice would be for the karrimor, but its a rather personal choice. Assuming you get the right size berghaus, all will give the pretty good performance. Best bet- try to find a place where you can try them on for size and take a look at them in the flesh.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Photo0164.jpg

Here's my beloved ROC. The plce and Berghaus pouches can be removed but this is my cold weather set up. I don't think you can go wrong from the list above, it's all down to which one you like most...

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
This is the very same choice I am faced with at the moment, between the Crusader, and the sabre 80-130 plus side pouches.

I want one that can be used for smaller trips, but that will also take my kit for a week long Scout Camp. So far, I am leaning to the Crusader, if I can find one to try on. The main reason for this is the cost.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Another +1 for the Berghaus Vulcan. I'm with Mr Fenna, as long as you follow the measurments and get the right size for your back imho you realy won't regret it they are a truly great comfortable bergen. :headbang:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Berghaus Vulcan gets my vote! Get the right back size you can't go wrong!!, it's just a solid pack!
Karrimor has more flexability on the back system, but having had an ajustable back sytem pack several years ago, found that the fabrics and velcro involved moved too much. I find that there is too many flappy bits on the Karrimor!
To sum it up, Get the right back system you don't need it to be adjustable!!!!
Go bomb proof Berghaus! YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!!!!:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Berghaus Vulcan gets my vote! Get the right back size you can't go wrong!!, it's just a solid pack!
Karrimor has more flexability on the back system, but having had an ajustable back sytem pack several years ago, found that the fabrics and velcro involved moved too much...

That was the same complaint I heard about this adjustable system www.military-backpacks.com/cfp-90 and it uses a screw and plate to fasten the adjustment. I've only heard it from one person though and cain't really find a lot of reviews

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have the 80-130 Sabre for winter. I wanted a pack that would handle 50kg and all my bulky winter kit.

Its a good pack. I was split between the Berghaus and Sabre, decided to go for the sabre as it had extra capacity (156l with the side pouches)

So far, its been sound apart from the sleeping bag collar ripping off. It was no use anyway IMO and I haven't bothered getting it repaired. All the straps are well stitched on and I have no qualms about relying on it.

I have a long back (23") and find the Sabre just right.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I have both the vulcan and sabre 80-130 should be had both gave (well long term borrow) my brother my 80-130 as i dont like it much prefer the vulcan,id defo try both out first if you could as everyone's differant what some find comfy other's dont, to me also the 80-130 aint nowhere near as tough as the vulcan i think the 80-130 back system rather flimsy.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi if you want a military style large capacity Bergen. Then of the 3 choices your playing with I'd vote for the Vulcan.
out of the 3 it's the simplest in terms of features the cyclops II back system is comfy and durable it's also simple.

The Crusader 90 MMPS ( not to be confused with a Cyclops Crusader) has side pockets and zips that are not PLCE compatible so if you want to start zipping on medics pouces etc then you'll be disappointed. it does however have a PALS grid which we could debate the useful ness of all day long...

TBH I'd have a good look on eBay as there are usually a heap of older Berghaus Bergens on there. The advantage of a hugely durable rucksack is that even second hand they are generally in pretty good condition.

The original cyclops back system ran in 3 sizes with a 3 being the longest. something like a Cyclops Roc at 70 L is a good sized durable Bergen... Also the Older Cyclops Crusader is very good but again the side pockets are not PLCE compatible as they predate the PLCE system.

Cheers

John

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looking very good for the Vulcan so far, any plus's for the Cursader?, just wondering as its still a Burghuas?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'd go for the vulcan,I think the crusader isn't being put forward as those who have vulcans don't need to replace them and the crusader is relatively new.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Berghaus for me, although I am probably a little old school. I am on my 3rd berghaus crusader but the old style. I went from green to DPM and then traded it in for a green one after I left the services. They
last forever and are easy to pick up on eBay. The beauty of buying 2nd hand is that you can try it out and if it's not for you, sell it again. Better than spending £200 and selling at a massive loss if it's not right for you. I have had plenty of karrimor as well but for durability you can't beat berghaus. IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE