Berghaus Deluge Fail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Just got in from a 3 mile walk across the moors with the dog after trying out my new Berghaus Deluge waterproof trousers. My trousers underneath were wet. Bit disappointing from a reputable brand. Think they are going to go back.

Can anyone recommend any decent waterproof trousers. Can Ridgeline Monsoon trousers be worn as single layer trousers and are they waterproof?

Cheers.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I use Tog 24 skiing salopettes, pricey but bone dry no matter how wet it gets, now over 18 months old and still perfect, i use them for mountainbiking when it is bucketing it down and have done since i got them, my bikes are all without mudguards and i always come home with a dry butt. I also use them for any other activity outdoors when rain is expected, i was sitting and kneeling on wet ground in the rain back in march using an axe on a chopping block for over 2 hrs and still remained bone dry inside, i was so impressed 2 days after buying the first pair that i coughed up for a second pair and have never regretted it once

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Really? Wet through? I have a pair of the same trousers, and have never had a problem with them. I use them at work, 12 hour shifts, on patrol when the weather gets a bit ****ty. They don't breathe too well though, maybe it was that reason?
I also have paramo adventure light trousers, and they are faultless, never leaked in driving rain over extended day walks up the hills. As with all paramo stuff though, you need to treat regularly with nikwax proofer.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have the Berghaus paclite goretex trsrs they are great. I've had others that did not breathe as well and worn trsrs underneath that did not aid the transpiration of moisture resulting in soggy trousers.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If I walked three miles in waterproof trousers with the temps. we've had in the UK today I'd be soaked through underneath as well; but it wouldn't be from the rain! :)

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I had my trusty Berghaus Cornice on and not a drop of wet even though it was hammering down,
I had a pair of CH Kiwis on underneath the Deluge and there were wet patches around the pockets and knees when I took the Deluge off. I didn't really feel sweaty when walking which I was surprised about as I usually run hot.

I did notice the vent zips were slightly open on the trousers, so maybe water got in through these. Will do another check and make sure the vents are closed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
How old are they? And how have you washed them? If you take them into a decent outdoor shop they may be able to test them there and then, or at least send them to Berghaus for testing. If you still have the receipt it would be great or even a bank statement showing purchase if you paid by card. Berghaus are pretty good to deal with and often err on your side.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
How old are they? And how have you washed them? If you take them into a decent outdoor shop they may be able to test them there and then, or at least send them to Berghaus for testing. If you still have the receipt it would be great or even a bank statement showing purchase if you paid by card. Berghaus are pretty good to deal with and often err on your side.

They were bought in the summer from an independent retailer who has since closed down. They have been worn twice in total, and never been washed. One really short walk around the local fields with the dog and on Friday in real heavy rain for a few miles. I have original product labels but no receipt, but could get a bank statement on line. I will contact Berghaus and see what they have to say. They seem to get positive reviews on here which is one of the reasons I bought them when they were cheap in a closing down sale.
Thanks for info chaps.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They were bought in the summer from an independent retailer who has since closed down. They have been worn twice in total, and never been washed. One really short walk around the local fields with the dog and on Friday in real heavy rain for a few miles. I have original product labels but no receipt, but could get a bank statement on line. I will contact Berghaus and see what they have to say. They seem to get positive reviews on here which is one of the reasons I bought them when they were cheap in a closing down sale.
Thanks for info chaps.
Cool, sounds like you may have just been unlucky enough to get a faulty pair. Berghaus will test them and get back to you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE